The build of Dottie Blue

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered a new oil pump yesterday. Supposed to be in Tuesday. I might get a chance to pull the cam followers off tomorrow and take a look at those. Probably not thought so that will have to wait until Wednesday of Friday.

might be to late but the 280zx pump should bolt up but you want a 280zx turbo pump or the KA one 

• 1 month later...

I finally got up enough motivation to work on dotti tonight. Changed the oil pump and tried to bleed the lifters. Didn't have very much luck bleeding the lifters. None of the how tos made any sense and there is still a lot of play in some of the lifters. When I did more research It said there is no way to manually bleed the lifters and to run the engine at 1000 rpm for ten minutes to bleed them.

The good news is the engine is holding 20 psi+ at idle warmed up. The bad news is the lifters are still noisy and more seem to be sloppy, oh and the alternator decided to quit exciting!

Needless to say, motivation shot......

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There isn't much to report.  I put the new rockers in and the engine is running smooth with no ticks or knocks.  Happy about that.  I picked up some new injectors because I was getting a code that said they were leaking (Thanks Busta), and put those in.  Engine pulls great to 3000 rpm's but still falls on her face.  I crashed my daily Jetta TDI and that got totaled so I drove Dotti to work.  Till I picked up a replacement.  That was a blast, but man that car rides rough.  Hit a bump on the freeway through Corte Madera and bashed my head on the roof of the car.  My rear end makes quite a bit of noise so I'll need to replace that soon I'm sure.

My life has been very hectic with crazy overtime at work, 4-5 days a week 12 hours a day with an hour commute on either end.  On my days off, family and cycling events have been taking up my time.

I'm not really sure what the deal is with the engine.  It feels like the timing gets severely retarded.  I took out my inline fuel pressure regulator and I have a Walbro inline fuel pump so I don't thing its a fuel delivery issue, especially considering its does it at the same rpm no matter what the throttle input.  Only thing I can really think of at this time is the MAF sensor.  If anyone else has any ideas through them at me.  Of the timing is where its supposed to me. 15 deg at 750 rpm with the TPS disconnected.

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled the mafs today and saw the element where nice and corroded. I sprayed it down with some mafs cleaner and took it for a spin. It was a bit better, but still sucked. Looking into getting a new mafs now.

Here's a couple pics of poor Dotti for the oic whores

F1FAD875-1247-43FD-9F9A-ED371496A139_zps

B16E7C30-EC5D-43FD-9004-27C78ED20329_zps

• Like 4