The build of Dottie Blue

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed the oil today as it was dirty and a bit low. Still ticking away. I used a stethoscope on it and it was loud at the valve cover. It was also loud down by the starter, so I'm not sure. I think I'm going to pull the engine next week and check the rods for slop.

There were some aluminum shavings in the oil when I changed it. First real oil change was today, after about 150 miles.

Bummer to hear about your engine woes.

An easy check for rod knock is to pull each plug wire individually while the engine is running.  If it is indeed a rod knocking, it will get quieter when you pull one of the plugs because there will no longer be a load on the bearing.

I have heard that the hydraulic lifters on single cams have a tendency to tick.  You may look into the procedure for bleeding the lifters.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I have been very discouraged and have not touched Dotti since my last post. Today I pulled spark plugs one at a time and that didn't seem to make much difference, other than running like garbage. I listened with the mechanics scope again and it seems to be coming more from the top end then bottom, but I'm not really sure. Here is a video of it running. You can hear the tick very well, at least on my phone I can.

There hydraulic. I found a website that says you can bleed them. It was a reman head that I put on there that may not have been bleed properly. Other issue is the engine set assembled for awhile. Maybe that allowed the oil to push out. Still doesn't explain why it hasn't done this since the beginning.

Sounds like every stinkin' lifter is makin' noise.............. :crying:

You mentioned you had lack of oil pressure.......

...........that will take out the top end pretty quickly.....

The bottom stays submerged in oil.........need pressure to get to the top............

This......vv

Have you check vavle lash on every valve? Sticky valve?

I think you can still check it.......

I remember that happening. Don't recall what I looked like. Next question is how low is two low. I was getting to about 10 psi at idle. Would quickly go up with rpm. When I had the valve cover off, nothing looked broken. I will go back in you thread and find your pictures though.

My Audi has "cam followers". What happened was a hole whore through the top and ate the cam. This made a hell of a racket....

I would expect oil pressure to be closer to 20psi at idle.

I would pull all the rockers and inspect the lifters. Check the top of the valve stems for damage. If any are mushroomed then the lifter is not pumping up.

Will do next week. In talking about this, I remember that I had to race the head that came with this block because the rods that the cam followers pivot on were galled. Also some of the followers were as we'll. I didn't replace the oil pump either. Kicking myself now. I'm going to get a new oil pump and check the followers.

On another note, I read that the oil pump from a 280zx will bolt on to the ka and the pump from the auto is a high flow. Anyone know if this is true?

Sounds like you need new rocker assemblies. Hopefully the valves are OK. One of my valves was mushroomed but the length was fine so I let it slide. You could use a straight edge across the top of the valve springs and measure with a depth mic or calipers to check the length. Not exact but if in doubt its easier then pulling the head and valves.