HiComp ITB KA24DE 510

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so i need to start this thing, it turns over fine, spark is kinda weak though. tried starting all the way advanced, still no combustion. not sure enough fuel is getting to cylinders. brand new DGEV Weber carb. Help? i'm gonna pick up some NGKs later any suggestions? I'm dead set on copper ones, i'll get iridium ones later.

Oh i should mention the choke solenoid isn't hooked up, i still have to crimp on the terminal. and also one more thing, My dad says something needs to be connected next to the fusebox, i don't remember anything being plugged.

on my l20 in my goon i was foolin around with the dash and i tried to start it, turned over but nothing i disconnected the tachomeotor i found out... put it back together and bam started right away... dont know how your tryin to start it but if your sure your getting spark im not to sure... looking at the oics makesure you have fuel in your fuel filter, and there isnt any leaks on the way to the carb because the fule pump should be building pressure to the float in the carb i believe

do you know if your carb came factory adjusted maybe the jets are closed?..

Sure your jetting is good? Or close enough?

Is it cold? If yes, you probably need that choke...

Spark plugs, I have always gotten the cheapy NGK's, $1.25 a piece last time I bought them. But you must gap them!!!

Make sure your dizzy isnt 180 degrees out, if it is simply swap the wires at the dizzy.

Is there a sure fire way of seeing if fuel is getting to the cylinders? maybe take a off a spark plug and see the fuel spray shoot out on compression stroke? if of course there is any fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and i know the fuel pump is working because there was a tiny leak on because i didn't clamp a fuel hose tight enough.

hmmm :poke: push the throttle down and see if theres any gas coming out of the jets

off you can see fuel out of the accelerator nozzle by moving the throttle.

What color are your plugs? If they are black at all you probably have fuel going in.

But again, make sure your dizzy is not 180 degrees out. Or in that matter, check to see if you have the correct firing order at all.

The plugs are sooty, like black. they're old like when the engine was running 3 years ago that's why i need to replace them. firing order is 1342 correct? i put #1 piston on TDC, saw where the put the rotor in relation to cap and made that #1. it's also 1342 counter clockwise.

The plugs are sooty, like black. they're old like when the engine was running 3 years ago that's why i need to replace them. firing order is 1342 correct? i put #1 piston on TDC, saw where the put the rotor in relation to cap and made that #1. it's also 1342 counter clockwise.

You say TDC... I say it could have been BDC...

Did you just go by the mark on the pulley? Or did you pull your valve cover off and see the cam lobes in the proper location.

The crank spins 2 revolutions every time the cam spins once.

On my phone typing slow ...

New weber dgev ... Bolted on ... Weak spark ... Not sure of fuel getting to cylinders ...

Was engine running before ? If so how well ?

If accelerator pump is working and discharging ... 1 pump to the floor should catch it ...

If you have points and condensor.... Replace condensor and points or regap...check all ignition related compenents and clean them ...

Fuel pumps can fail from just sitting ... They can also barely work ... Errrrr

Any other relevant important history ?

You say TDC... I say it could have been BDC...

Did you just go by the mark on the pulley? Or did you pull your valve cover off and see the cam lobes in the proper location.

The crank spins 2 revolutions every time the cam spins once.

Took off spark plug on #1 and stuck my finger in there while my dad cranked it......no just kidding, i spun the crank by hand then with my finger in there felt the piston be TDC.

On my phone typing slow ...

New weber dgev ... Bolted on ... Weak spark ... Not sure of fuel getting to cylinders ...

Was engine running before ? If so how well ?

If accelerator pump is working and discharging ... 1 pump to the floor should catch it ...

If you have points and condensor.... Replace condensor and points or regap...check all ignition related compenents and clean them ...

Fuel pumps can fail from just sitting ... They can also barely work ... Errrrr

Any other relevant important history ?

It was in my uncles 620 and he used it to get to work two blocks away. it ran great

Took off spark plug on #1 and stuck my finger in there while my dad cranked it......no just kidding, i spun the crank by hand then with my finger in there felt the piston be TDC.

THAT COULD STILL BE BDC!!! You have to see the cam. The piston goes to the top twice in a 4 stroke motor...

THAT COULD STILL BE BDC!!! You have to see the cam. The piston goes to the top twice in a 4 stroke motor...

thinking about it more.....you're right. i thought the rotor on the dizzy spindle would be anywhere else but #1 on the exhaust stroke.... i will report back tomorrow