crap!:(

makya

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the guys name on e-bey is datsunparts. I have dealt with him once in the past. Seemed like a good guy. I havent heard anything bad about his engines either. I have a L-20 in my backyard with a re-ringed and bearinged bottom end. It also has a head gasket but a quick head surface would fix the problem.

The motor that's in it now has seen well over 100,000 before it went in the dually. Part of that 100k was Hard Time in the 4x, so it's pretty worn out.

I was hoping to have enough time with this motor to rebuild another and change it out, but since I'm driving it daily, I don't have enough time to rebuild this one.

EDIT: I also live in an apt. so I have to work on the truck at my sister's house or my Dad's shop, so I have to do it with as little downtime as possible.

in about 1.2 hours you can have a new head gasket done. just pull the valve cover, put the hand chuck of wood in the timing tensioner, then pop the timing gear off, pull the headbolts out, then just lift it just enough to pull the gasket out, re-install the new one, and bolt it all back together. if the engine is toast, it will buy you that coupla months till your ready for really cheap. dont forget to change your oil after you warm it up once!!

yeah, I know, I'm just trying to get out of doing it twice. I've had Datsuns for almost 16 years now, and that's the one thing I hate doing on 'em.

Unfortunately, time is extremely valuable right now, so I don't want to do work on it twice if I don't have to.

a little background: My wife had our baby 9 weeks early on feb. 12th. My Wife (Amy) is home now but can't drive for awhile(Dr's orders), and our daughter is still in the Special Care Nursery (baby ICU) for another 3-1/2 weeks. We also have 3 other children. So I am driving my wife and kids to the hospital every day, plus taking the oldest one to school and trying to work in between. I lost about a weeks' worth of income during this, so I'm trying to make up for that as well.

If I could drop in a good long block assembly,it would take about two to three hours, and I'd only have to do it once:)

It looks like I'm going to have to swap out the gasket though, I can't find info on datsunparts on ebay(nothing listed right now)

i here ya on not having time. there is one guy on ebay who sells complete motors. sometimes even done up a little. seems o.k. never bought off him tho. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-510-620-REBUILT-ENGINE-MOTOR-L20B-U67-HEAD-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ006QQitemZ160210015097QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

there ya go, 1000 bux and its brand new in california

Cool, Thanks.

I couldn't find him the other day(forgot the hyphen). I called the local Kragen's auto parts here and they quoted me $1249 for a longblock with a $150 core. It comes with a 3year unlimited mileage warranty.

Unfortunately, the Ebay guy wants $300 for shipping also, so it's about $1300 either way.

I think I'll have to find the time to rebuild my motor, buying a long block for a Datto is $$$$$$

2eDeYe;42737']Depends on which way you go really...

I have over $1500 into my motor and it's not even completely put together yet :eek:

Of course' date=' I had everything possible machining wise done...[/quote']

Gee, thanks for the encouragement:fu:

Perhaps the option to consider here is to re do the head gasket on the current motor while you find a core and rebuild it for installation later? I think I'm pricing in about $1500 or so for a pretty complete rebuild of a stockish LZ22 right now ......

Gee, thanks for the encouragement:fu:

...and that price doesn't include my carbs :fu:

If you want a stock dependable motor, personally I'd go for the ebay one. There's something to be said for a drop in motor with a warranty ;)