78 datsun 4x4 build thread

Hey first post on this forum. A buddy of mine and me are build a 78 620 witch we are converting to 4wheel. We are using a narrow track dana 30 for the front diff. witch appears to be what is under your rig (please correct me if im wrong). Your passenger side steering knuckle appears to have some kind of modified high steer? This looks like an easy mod and would save a lot of money not having to buy high steer knuckles. Anyway you could take some more pictures of that? i would greatly appreciate it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are converting to 4x4 yourself you should really consider going coil spring on the dana 30. I will eventually do this myself on the ugly truckling. Coil springs will allow me to improve my steering setup. Right now i do have a modified knuckle and it steers left way more than right. But that is because my axle is spring over now. (extra 3 inches) datsunaholics is still spring under and the linkage works correctly without hitting the leaf spring.

• 6 months later...

ok so i took some time off from this project and built my ford up a little bit. I'm looking to get back into this and see about taking it to a shop. does anyone on here know of a datsun shop in the portland/eastern oregon area? i don't really want to take it to any run of the mill shop and have them charge an ton of money to not know whats wrong with it. any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

my friend came to visit from portland and asked why i haven't gotten this thing going yet..... so we were mess in about with the wiring and discovered that my truck has the matchbox distributor along with the gin module? does that seem right? if i went with an hei swap would that bypass both of them so to speak? ill post some pictures of my wiring mess in a second to see if maybe someone can help out.

Instead of fixing my fulcrum bracket, I drove out and picked up a tailgate abs a new driver door the closes and the window works! 16291d78.jpg8f7d18e8.jpg. Fit perfect and it's all Ready for it rattle can paint job. Tailgate will go on tomorrow as I don't have any of the bolts that go into the bed through the henge. Anyone know the thread pattern??

It cooled down a little so I went and got this put on! ccbb5a30.jpg3d8c2930.jpg15739962.jpg

Shiny new bolts look way out of place. The tailgate didn't come with chain but I had some wire rope from when I worked at a rigging shop that will work for now. Might have to beef up the hooks that are on the bed of the truck. I put some weight on the tailgate and they started to give very quickly!