California advice

Hey all, haven't posted in a while because I went on a road trip down the west coast in my ratsun. I put a canopy on and rigged up a platform to sleep on in the back. Unfortunately the truck didn't prove up to the task. After several mishaps (including blowing up the muffler -- my bad), I parked it in my parent's driveway in Long Beach. The woefully inadequate un-vented rotors, the 100 horses pulling everything me and my gf own, the 3 quarts of oil it ate on the way down and especially the extreme lack of comfort in the cab are keeping me from driving it back up to Washington.

I'm at a crossroads. I want to keep it, but I can't store it here. Ideally I could find a ratsuner down here that would take care of it, except for one minor glitch: It has a weber and no emissions controls. In Cali, the owner is responsible for the smog test before selling, so I'm stuck. Any California residents with a loophole for me? Would anyone buy this without the title? Let's not mention giving it to charity, I couldn't bear seeing it go unused.

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

BTW, big thanks to Ted out in Yelm for helping me get on my way, you've got a heart of gold man.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, haven't posted in a while because I went on a road trip down the west coast in my ratsun. I put a canopy on and rigged up a platform to sleep on in the back. Unfortunately the truck didn't prove up to the task. After several mishaps (including blowing up the muffler -- my bad), I parked it in my parent's driveway in Long Beach. The woefully inadequate un-vented rotors, the 100 horses pulling everything me and my gf own, the 3 quarts of oil it ate on the way down and especially the extreme lack of comfort in the cab are keeping me from driving it back up to Washington.

I'm at a crossroads. I want to keep it, but I can't store it here. Ideally I could find a ratsuner down here that would take care of it, except for one minor glitch: It has a weber and no emissions controls. In Cali, the owner is responsible for the smog test before selling, so I'm stuck. Any California residents with a loophole for me? Would anyone buy this without the title? Let's not mention giving it to charity, I couldn't bear seeing it go unused.

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

BTW, big thanks to Ted out in Yelm for helping me get on my way, you've got a heart of gold man.

What do you want for it?:blink:

What do you mean no title?

I have the title, I just said that because in California I wouldn't be able to legally sell it without a smog certificate. Your dad is nuts.

What do you want for it?:blink:

If it was in Washington I'd want to get at least 1500, but if it was in Washington I wouldn't be selling it... Really I just want to make sure someone will love it like I do.

have you looked into having the 620 shipped back up to Washington?

Might only cost you $500-600

Unfortunately, that's $500 I just don't have. I have to be back up in Washington to start an internship in a couple weeks, and I quit my job to go on this road trip (which also soaked up a ton of money)

How are you planning on getting back from California? Will it not make the trip, or do you just not want to drive it back? What about renting something with a hitch and getting one of those U-Haul vehicle dolly trailers. It'd probably cost roughly the same to rent a car for a couple days as it would for both of you to fly back...

I have the title, I just said that because in California I wouldn't be able to legally sell it without a smog certificate. Your dad is nuts.

Actually, since it has a WASHINGTON title, the new owner would be "importing" it into Cali. All on them... It'd never pass. Not if it's burning oil like you say.

My Dad isn't that nuts. About halfway through the project he decided to fly home on weekends instead, leaving the truck in Lancaster. My folks still have it. Now me, I'd be nuts enough to do it. I already commute 100 miles a day in my 620's... 1 has a really harsh, conversion 4X4 suspension, and the other is a '76 with drums and it rides on the front bump stops over most surfaces (I have all of 1/2 inch clearance to the stops up front).

Does it currently run now?

You can sell it "as is" to a new owner in California. That way the new owner is responsible. If he or she is a dick then they can go after you but if not then they can put it back to stock. In the old days you could do it but now it is all computerized by VIN.

if you were going to stay here you could keep it reg in wa.

i had a friend do that in college...for 6 years :blink:

buyer in ca, purchased from wa would put the burden on the new ca owner. (but since it alreday here???)

if reg in ca it will be required to pass, MAYBE you could get the "i spent >$500 to fix it and it still wont pass, but has all the equipment on it" exemption.

id like it :D