Project Rin Tin 710

The suckers at the inspection place gave me a sticker which is cool, finally all legal beagle. They were fans of the home made dash and dude who did the brake test said it was like a go kart haha.

Got some cheapie radio junk on the way that i should be putting in tomorrow, and hopefully a dude with new seatbelts will come through since the stockers blow. Today i pulled the inline fuel pump and its strainer and replaced it with a nice clear one with replaceable cartridges that should be easy enough to swap out on the road if they get gunked up. I adjusted the steering gear and it seems way better. I cut some floor mats to fit, and I also made a ghetto cup holder setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41JlRSubZOI

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did quite a bit of work yesterday in between being stuck in traffic and being dragged to dinner by my gf. She's a good sport about helping and hangin out so it was the least I could do :P

I got the valves adjust thanks to the guide in the how to section, cleaned up my valve cover, put in some fresh plugs, adjusted the timing, and tuned the carb so it finally idles pretty well now. Today i'm hoping to ditch the cat, and maybe beat my floor down and bolt in my other Prelude seat(apparently they aren't from an integra, according to the guy i got some seat belts for them from.) My cheapie radio shit came in, might go ahead and install that so i can finally listen to some tunes, but for now the engine sounds so good... It does have a weird noise in the upper rpm's almost like the bearings in the alternator are going out. I'll disconnect the belt and see if it goes away maybe. If so i'll do a little research for the easiest alt upgrade and get to work on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EnjqdlrBgo

IMG_0120.jpg

After quick pass on the bench grinder with the wire wheel and hitting it with smaller wire wheels on my drill to get the nooks:

IMG_0125.jpg

My work is always intents

IMG_0126.jpg

Hey at least one thing on my car is clean now :rofl:

Project fuck California is in full effect. Turns out i have a cali model with an annoying hump in the floor so i can't mount any seats that fit a tall dude without hitting the roof. They made an annoying lump in the floor for a cat, so i'm working on ditching them both...

Before:

IMG_0129.jpg

After(so far):

IMG_0149.jpg

Worked a good part of the day getting it all done, today i'll be making up some braces out of square tubing, but my buddy won't be able to help me put those on til weds or so. He does it for a living, so i figured i'd let him do the actual welding and i've been doing the grunt work. Got a few cool looking pictures of him while i was waiting to grind more shit for him too :P

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

I hope you realized that you just cut out the transmission mount on the driver's side ... . :blink: . .. . . Do you have a plan for a different transmission crossmember???

I'm not sure which mount you think i'm cutting off. my mounts are still on nice and secure to the frame rails as far as i can tell. The drive shaft is 1 piece so there isn't a mount on that really. All the cutting i did was to the rear half of the trans past the shifter mostly.

IMG_0130.jpg

see the relation of the cat and the trans mount here:

IMG_0131.jpg

to the hole i made:

IMG_0135.jpg

I took out every bolt from every hole that was on the piece i cut off. They were all for the heat shield or interior stuff. Maybe there is some rear mount i don't have on mine? I might end up eating my words and fabbing up some mount or something, but i think i'm in the clear...

Found a decent metal supply place this morning after work and got some 1.5" square tubing for bracing and some 2" tubing to make a test pipe. Now i'm back at work on my last night shift for the week, hopefully have it back on the road by the weekend. Also I found out they don't have yakety sax on youtube's audio swap feature, but they do have flight of the bumblebee, so if you watched my boring soundless timelapse of the valve adjustment you should rewatch it :rofl:

Sorry,,, my mistake.. . . . . I can now see that you didn't cut where the transmission crossmember bolts in ..... .. :D

. . .. I guess my wagon isn't from Cali,,,,,, unless that's a post 1976 addition .... :huh: ...... . keep the updates coming... .. nice work!!! .... :thumbup:

Sorry,,, my mistake.. . . . . I can now see that you didn't cut where the transmission crossmember bolts in ..... .. :D

. . .. I guess my wagon isn't from Cali,,,,,, unless that's a post 1976 addition .... :huh: ...... . keep the updates coming... .. nice work!!! .... :thumbup:

hey i'm just glad there wasn't some magical rear mount or something i didn't have. this car started as a bucket of legos pretty much, so who knows what kind of crap i don't have... yours is way cleaner than mine overall, and with your cleanup will be wayyyyy nicer. i'm just trying to keep mine on the road mostly while i work on it here and there. i need to get it reliable before i can start working on rx-7 302 project and sell my truck. once that thing is all done and reliable i'll think about swapping the sd22 i've got into the 710, but that is quite a ways off at this point. it does have a decent looking 5 speed i'm tempted to toss in right now, but i'm not sure what it would cost to get my drive shaft shortened around here.

you can take a look at the fuel system to tell if it is a cali model. according to the factory shop manual they have a 6 quart or so reserve tank that is inside the car next to the fuel filler. i can post up some pics of that when i get home. it is some hokey weird shit that i'm tempted to ditch so it doesn't go all pinto on me if i get hit hard in that corner, but then again i'm tempted to run a pump between them and use it as an actual reserve tank instead of some emissions component that is there to turn all reclaimed fuel vapors to turn back into liquid...

if anyone has any requests for pictures/info out of a 76 710 factory shop manual just let me know, i'd be happy to help. i couldn't seem to find it digitized online anywhere so i went ahead and ebayed one. well 2 actually, i was kind of drunk when bidding on the second one, and thought i was outbid on the first haha.

Nice work! Like this thread! :D

haha thanks, i get off in a couple hours and hopefully i'll have enough fight in me to start fabbing up some supports for that floor. 12 hour night shifts take it out of me, but i'll be off until sunday night so plenty of time to catch up on sleep...

Car is back on the road again. Found a good spot for the new sticker...

IMG_0206_1.jpg

Fuck cats. Also a little tip i learned. Instead of waiting on $1.99 exhaust gaskets buy the sheet of gasket making materialfor 6 bucks at o'reilly's and never run out again. The sheet is huge.

IMG_0210_1.jpg

IMG_0212_1.jpg

My friend cracks me up. He'll wear glasses, ear protection, gloves sometimes, but actively shoots hot metal at his flip flop wearing feet (i do it too)

IMG_0201_1.jpg

I put a few coats of undercoating spray on all the metal and it seems to be sticking like shit. I probably applied it wrong or something, i don't know. I'll redo it when i pull up all the stock sound deadening junk and spray my own stuff down. I kind of want to put an on board air system so i can fill air shocks and misc shit, and have a nozzle for spraying out my interior big rig style. I put the seat in for now and called it good, although the exhaust is hitting the floor in one spot on big bumps. I'll bang the floor up a little in the morning. No pics of the seat installed because i put it in and went right to sleep and now it's too dark to take anything decent. I still need to source some seat belts, since the old stock ones suck bad and the integra ones i got will not work like i thought they would... I gained a couple inches of much needed head room, very happy with things right now. My carb seems to be leaking all the fuel out of the bowl if i don't drive it for a few days. I had to start it with carb cleaner to get it going before work today, but since i hadn't driven it in almost 2 weeks or whatever so i did what i had to do to drive it to work :P

Ok pic before bed time, good old night shift. Really need to figure out the seat belt situation, i shouldn't need a hans device to feel safe in my daily driver :rofl:

IMG_0214_1.jpg

IMG_0215_1.jpg

Also anyone know what size weather stripping to get for around the doors? The previous owner was nice enough to take it all off and trash it. It sounds like i'm driving a maraca.

Also anyone know what size weather stripping to get for around the doors? The previous owner was nice enough to take it all off and trash it. It sounds like i'm driving a maraca.

If its anything like the 610 sedan or wagon, grab the door seals from an Infiniti G20. Pull them off the donor car CAREFULLY, and if you're cheap (like me) grab the T-clips as well. The door shapes are nearly identical (comes to 90 degree points in the corners of the doors and is free-form molded the rest of the way) You will need an icepick or something sharp to poke new holes in the seal material and have the T-clips match the 710 holes. Start at the top corner and work your way down both sides to the bottom of the door where you will cut the material at the middle of the door and splice it together with an old stick soldering iron. Mine seal better than stock, and it cost me all of $25 for all four doors :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Well the idle kicked itself up to 1500-2k rpm's for some reason, so i figured i'd go ahead and rebuild it. Turns out the secondaries were stuck so bad there were leaves on top of the butterfly... I got it to idle great and the float level is good, but for some reason when the secondaries kick in it kind of bogs down. I'll have to research how to adjust them, but for now i'm off to a bbq. Picked up a set of yakima towers for cheap, going to try to piece together a roof rack before a beach trip in a couple weeks so i can load this bish down :)

Does anyone know what the hole in the rear bumper is for? Maybe spare tire access hole on the non-wagons?

IMG_0310_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took a break at work to take some quick pics of my car...

http://smg.photobuck...6/oypappy/flir/

IR_0051.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Also got my roof rack on, need to trim the cross bars a little still and get a decent cargo basket though.

IMG_0354.jpg

Feel free to play i spy with the cars at my friend's house :P

IMG_0353.jpg

Still having issues with the secondaries, but otherwise runs great. Replaced the water pump, themostat, and cleaned up quite a bit under the hood while i was at it.

IMG_0357_1.jpg

IMG_0356_1.jpg

Driving to lunch today the car had just warmed up and i head a WHAM then tap tap tap tap really slight because i killed the engine and coasted into a lot when i heard it. I thought the fan belt broke at first, but it was fine so i started it up and heard a metal on metal sound almost, and thought the engine was blown. Turns out the bolt i had plugged the egr port on the exhaust manifold had worked its way loose, and then shot out in the last thread or so.

what i found:

IMG_0555.jpg

how it is supposed to look:

IMG_0556.jpg

Walked back to where i heard it about a half block up the road and it was still there, had to play frogger to get it back:

IMG_0557.jpg

Looks in decent shape:

IMG_0560.jpg

Having tuning issues and possible cooling issues. Going to work on it tomorrow or saturday, just got this puppy in the mail for 1/3 the price of getting mine recored. I figured if I ever swap to the sd22 i'll need a bigger radiator anyway, so i might as well enjoy the upgrade now ;)

IMG_0566.jpg

cap is on the top left of the pic, and yeah running it as cross flow. don't scare me like that haha. from all the research i did there was no problem swapping down flow to cross flow, as long as the opening for incoming air is still hitting the core.

thanks for the response in the other thread, wil fix the dizzy vacuum advance like whoa.

"Vacuum advance never goes to intake vacuum. Take that short length of hose off the hard line above the rad hose clamp and connect the dizzy vac advance to it. Put the short hose on the other end of the hard line and plug into the rearmost of the two carb ports. The hard line behind the plug wire bundle is for the EGR so ignore it."

• 1 month later...

Christ i suck at updates. I'll get some pics of what i've been up to, but i found this out today which boggled my mind.

The odometer has a 10ths of a mile wheel, but they blocked it off so you can't see it from the front. The trip meter shows it though...

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

The shaft on the trip reset is all bent, and this thing was under a pile of parts when i got it, so i am not surprised it doesn't work right. The trip/odometer have never worked, but the other day they started working at the same time the speedo shot through the roof and said i was doing 120+ mph. I disconnected the speedo at the next light to play with it later. Here is me doing 90mph in the driveway testing it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfFEPGiFBM

It looks like the gears are all work out, so i kind of jiggled things and put it back together and the odo works, but still no trip meter. Any idea how that thing is supposed to work? If i spin the knob it just keep making the count go up and i can stop doing that at 0, but i'm not sure how it is supposed to act.

I made a back panel for the hatch so i could some speakers on it, ran the wires alone with the defroster wiring and called it good. I used the original busty one as a template, and attached it with threaded rivets.

IMG_1650.jpg

I found a sweet cargo net with mounts for all of 10 bucks at walmart and it has worked wonders for keeping shit in place. There's your basic craftsman ratchet set in the blow molded case under those towels and junk. People can peek in things appear to not be worth breaking in for, plus i can keep my dog from getting my car all funky. I'm thinking about making some wood panels to replace the 2 back here now to match the back, adding that to the to do list.

IMG_1652.jpg

I've got a massive short in the wiring for whatever harness runs to the back going up the passenger a pillar through a 3 prong connector. It has always just been tucked out of the way and i thought i'd go ahead and hook it up and hope for the best, but no luck. I'll fix it later.

• 10 months later...

wood paneling is a KILLER idea for the wagon...blast that you got to it before I did. I had a 68 VW westy bus that I re-did all the panels in stained wood....I LOVED it. Had a wood headliner in place of what had been vinyl...when I got it it was paneld in funky blue over crumbling powderboard. traced all the old panels and re did them in wood for almost nothing. gave the interior a warm feel.

wood paneling is a KILLER idea for the wagon...blast that you got to it before I did. I had a 68 VW westy bus that I re-did all the panels in stained wood....I LOVED it. Had a wood headliner in place of what had been vinyl...when I got it it was paneld in funky blue over crumbling powderboard. traced all the old panels and re did them in wood for almost nothing. gave the interior a warm feel.

hey thanks man, still getting around to that, taking it 1 broken thing at a time. i get so many remarks on my shitty license plate dashboard and i'm always changing it up so much, i don't know when i'm going to upgrade that part... i do need to get things a bit more waterproof before tossing much more wood in there i think :P

my old radiator finally conked out on me, but i had a used one from a 521 laying around that seemed to fit well. when blasting the water hose through the top pipe of the stock rad water was flowing mostly out the cap, but with this old school 521 thing with a huge core it wasn't flowing out the cap at all(all straight out the bottom hose) so i figured it was worth a shot. it isn't quite as wide, but the core is much thicker. i tossed riv-nuts where nuts would be a bitch to reach, used my favorite material to fill the gap in the side, and a screen door sweep i had laying around to help keep airflow from going under the thing. not bad for a free fix. i think i'm going to save the aluminum rad for the hopefully much cleaner 521 project... i tossed in a triple gauge pod with mechanical temp in it, and the thing only kicks over 180 for a few seconds before going right back down which was not the case before.

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg