Project Rin Tin 710

I bought this thing for $100 bucks off a dude down the street and bought 3 friends dinner to push it home 3 blocks. There was some crazy mexican fiesta complete with pinatas that we rolled past and they eyeballed us like we were stealing the virgin marie or something, but we got it home no problem. It sat forever waiting for me to finish my 1st gen rx-7 302 engine swap project until I was almost done a couple weeks ago and realized the oil pump was siezed, so in a fit of boredom I grabbed the battery from my truck and started it up for the first time in a few years on about the first crank. See: http://twitpic.com/4iybx3

I have an sd22 from an early 80's datsun pickup I was going to throw in it, but the thing is so close I think I'm going to run it as is for a bit and see how it goes mileage-wise. The previous owner tore this thing down to just about nothing for a full resto, and broke half of the shit in the process. I'm just trying to ratsun it back together with the L20B for now to stop driving my 12mpg truck and get my mind off my rx-7 project for a bit. It cost me $75 to insure the 710 for 6 months and it costs me $80 to fill my truck's gas tank. If I save one tank of gas in the truck it I figure I come out ahead on the deal.

I've got it driving for now but it runs like ass, more on that later...

http://youtu.be/hWcu6UcDaIQ

My dog thinks she owns this car, hence the name.

IMG_4540.jpg

Side view of the pos

IMG_4481.jpg

Interior shot showing how bad it has been torn out. That seat is a 1st gen rx-7 passenger seat, leather and no a/c don't mix so i'm headed to pick up some cloth integra seats tonight...

IMG_4482.jpg

As of now I have many things to do to make it inspectable, but I got plates and registration for it today. I drove it last weekend for giggle shits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWcu6UcDaIQ

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is where I am at with the engine, pretty sure this much blow by is why it is running like butthole. I'm guessing stuck valve or something, but you guys are more than welcome to chime in here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxL0pcLb6Sk

I got a new mechanical pump on closeout from the rock and put it in, left the electric inline because I figure it can't hurt... Almost every single bulb except the headlights were blown so I need to figure that out, the wipers don't work, and of course it has no seats/belts. I've jb welded all the exhaust leaks from the egr shit the PO took out, got it to idle and drive around, put a tach on it to set the idle, and put in a quick battery disconnect on it because I'm not entirely sure this thing won't burn to the ground if I look away for too long. Oh yeah the headlight switch came apart when i barely touched it trying to pull the dash out a little, so I got a universal switch I need to put in there. I've got a shop manual coming from fleabay so I can figure out the headlight wiring, and maybe adjust the valves with it while i'm at it. You can just slap the car with the manual in the problem area to fix it right?

Looks good!!! ........ :thumbup: .......... ... . . please DO NOT put a SD22 motor in there ...... .. any L-series will keep it on the road cheaply

i paid a couple hundred for a complete sd22/trans, eventually i'd like to get like 45mpg out of it... for now i just want to sort out the car itself to see if it is worth doing an engine swap.

DO IT!!! FTMFMFMFW !!! SD 710 would be the shit. I changing my goon from the old stock 4 to a newer 5 speed and will be trying to install it this weekend. My plan is to use the 710 automatic drive shaft so I don't need to shorten one. Might be able to use the rear mount swapped 180 and the shifter may fit the existing hole. So the 5 speed is do able on the diesel.

DO IT!!! FTMFMFMFW !!! SD 710 would be the shit. I changing my goon from the old stock 4 to a newer 5 speed and will be trying to install it this weekend. My plan is to use the 710 automatic drive shaft so I don't need to shorten one. Might be able to use the rear mount swapped 180 and the shifter may fit the existing hole. So the 5 speed is do able on the diesel.

Yeah it will be dog slow, but it kind of already is. I figure i'll spend the hundred bucks and get my driveshaft shortened and rebuilt when i swap to the sd, and drive the l20b as is until it shits itself(which may not be long if you see how bad it sounds when you pull the oil cap while it is running)

2eDeYe' date='21 April 2011 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1303439440' post='463780']

Nice goon. :cool:

Wanna take a side shot of that stripe (mostly the DATSUN 710) on the side with a ruler in the shot? :D

sure man, i'll do it when i get home. at a friend's place right now nursing a hangover. i injured my thumb playing the new mortal kombat. hint: i'm a button smasher, not actually good at it

hey, im in austin too. this things a beaut, im jealous :P

you should bring over a running datsun to shame mine into running right. i've got a big enough driveway to play with 2 at once. also maybe your wiring is similar enough that i can look at yours and figure out what the hell is what...

the integra seats i picked up last night are bitchin, can't wait to toss em in later. juevos rancheros are a higher priority at the moment though

IMG_4550.jpg

Well as expected the passenger side was a cakewalk, looks pretty rad and is comfy too. I just used the integra rails, rounded out the holes a bit in the front and used stock holes, and drilled new holes in the back. A little hammering of the rails to make it fit just right and a little drilling, but otherwise easy peezy. The driver side is fucked though, that hump is a killer. I'm half tempted to ditch the cat, put in a straight pipe, and hammer the floor down and weld some reinforcements in. My other option is bolting a seat to the floor, but the integra seat mounts on the bottom or a little goofy, we'll see if i can't come up with something nicer though. It would still sit higher than the passenger side that way, and i'm 6'2" so it is an issue. Someone was telling me that e30's also have a big catalytic converter hump under the driver, so i'll search for some build threads and see what i can find... The rest of the interior is in pretty much, except the shit up front because i dont have it. Prolly just make a flat panel or something, we'll see.

IMG_4557.jpg

I did end up having to cut this thing off, but i think i'll build some tool storage into the rear somewhere, so much unused room behind the panels in the way back

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

I love how the seat bottom folds forward to let the cargo area be super flat

IMG_4554.jpg

As requested here are some pics of the Datsun logos on the doors next to a ruler. I forgot about that until night, but i think the flash actually helped the contrast between white/orange :P

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

what part of austin are you in? im in travis heights. my car isnt putting anything to shame just now; running or not. i've got some rust spots that need to be taken car of. later b210s are also cursed with the weird floor pan because of the cat, could you swap the original rails over to your replacement seat?

what part of austin are you in? im in travis heights. my car isnt putting anything to shame just now; running or not. i've got some rust spots that need to be taken car of. later b210s are also cursed with the weird floor pan because of the cat, could you swap the original rails over to your replacement seat?

nah the orginal seat has a crazy built in indention so it's a no go. i'm at 183/35 area, the classy part of town :P

• 2 weeks later...

Got some good progress this weekend, as well as hitting a wall kinda. Wil get better pics when my roomie gets back from vacation, he borrowed my camera...

Shit that got done:

Ghettofabulous dash mostly done, i mounted a couple toggles to the left of the gauges for the headlights, and mounted the possibly broken wiper switch to right of it. Eventually i'll add one horizontally as the door for a glove box that has yet to be made.

dash.jpg

Got the stock driver's seat back together using foam for the back from the passenger seat, though i can't figure out why i can't get it to lock. I installed a 5 panel wink since it also did not come with a rear view, tucked it up pretty high since there is no headliner at this point.

Shit that sucks:

The electrical system is where i'm stuck right now. The headlight switch broke in half when i tried to use it, so i replaced it with 2 toggles that seem to work fine and do exactly what the stock switch should do per the fsm. The headlights themselves come on, but no markers, and only the rear blinkers work with the hazard switch on as well as the indicators. Nothing else works at all. I went through every single socket and cleaned it out with electrical parts cleaner and a wire brush, ohmed out the outside of the sockets with ground to make sure that was all in order, though i didn't really test for anything else but cleanliness at the socket end... Everything on this car is suspect, so next weekend i'll disconnect/reconnect every single connector i can, test the turn signal switch per the fsm, and try to figure out if i can test the relays(one of em came apart when trying to unplug it...)

The wiper switch appears to be fucked now too, as they are stuck in the on position no matter what i do with pushing the switch in and out. It feels really clunky pulling it in and out, and the twist to turn on part also feels awful. I'll take a copy of the switch diagram to the parts store i guess and see if there is a universal that will do the trick. I'm hoping the motor itself is good, though it mentions something about an autostop device built into it that might cause the motor to stop anywhere or not at all. The fsm does not show a picture of it at all though, so i'm hoping it is blatantly obvious. There is a rebuilt motor on clearance at rock auto for 55 bucks, but thats a good % of the purchase price of the car...

Got my camera back(well a new one, gonna sell the old one now) and took a better pic of the dash. Still needs some work but it functions for now. I'm going to get a few hole saws in the right sizes to drill out spots for the stock clock and vents, put in a glove bux, stuff like that. Probably put a shitty radio in the console slot i think, maybe see what all it would take to mount the heater core in there at least even though i won't need it for many many months...

IMG_0156.jpg

Friend borrowed my multimeter and left town with it, but i'm getting one today so i can hopefully get crackin on this damn thing. These blinkers and wipers are pretty much all that is holding me back from legality.

I worked on it for a bit this weekend and thought maybe there was a short in the wiring harness where the previous owner had taken out the inner fender liner, but no such luck...

IMG_0167.jpg

I did manage to wire up an after market generic 2 position switch to the wipers and get them working, but the blinkers are still fucked and blows bulbs like crazy. The main red fusible link was melted when i started, and the green one was just about done as well. I'll have to do some research and see about replacing them with big fuses i guess. Got a beach weekend coming up, so i'll let the car fall by the wayside for a couple weeks and get a little break from it unless i have soem sort of eureka moment on how to fix it haha.

I got a little distracted this weekend and spent more time fixing my truck since the wheel fell off while i was doing 70 in the fast lane with an 18 wheeler to my right.... $15 for lugs/studs and a cheap tow home and i'm pretty much done getting it back on the road. Still need to source another impala ss wheel, but no rush since I have another car to drive that I borrowed from my brother until I can find one for a reasonable price. I had the tires changed about a year ago and i guess a year of hitting bumpstops once in awhile combined with improper torque and the shit worked its way loose. The other rear wheel nuts were a little loose, but nothing that would cause this. No accidents/injuries, the police were nice and helpful and didn't ticket me or anything, and the tow company was pretty awesome too. Super lucky all around in an unlucky situation.

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

You and MM47 should get together and practice tightening your lug bolts :P

hey i didn't touch em last, tire shop did. i heard a faint brake noise when i got on the highway, but nothing serious sounding enough to make me pull over. then BAM i'm running over my own wheel haha. i had to replace the entire rear end when the welds holding the tube to the pumpkin broke when my brother was towing a boat, but otherwise this is the only other thing to leave me stranded somewhere in 295k miles.

Seriously, though. I'm glad to hear nobody got hurt.

you and me both man, you and me both. if my truck didn't have a 4/6 drop it might have been damn near uncontrollable when i lost the wheel. i just kind of coasted to a stop since my brakes no longer worked thanks to the drum not really being on. the truck earned a set of new shocks and bags in the back to see if i can't keep it off the bump stops a little more.

• 2 months later...

Finally got it going. Got some h4/h1 conversion lights put in with relays and what have you, redid all the brakes, replaced every hose all around(i think), new wheel bearings, 14x6 260z shelby wheels with new lugs that i tightened myself this time even, and a few other things i'm sure i'm forgetting. the stock fuse block is kind of sketchy so i think i'm going to replace it with something like this maybe: http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sbs_sg_1 unless someone has some better suggestions.

My main electrical issue appears to have started with a bad main relay. The case came off and it shorted internally, you can see here where it did. I cleaned the contacts up, put it back together, and secured it so hopefully it doesn't happen again. The fusible link was fried so i replaced it with an inline fuse.

http://i8.photobucke...y1/IMG_0006.jpg

http://i8.photobucke...y1/IMG_0005.jpg

The people who worked on it before were jokers and/or pyromaniacs

IMG_0010.jpg

Annnnd here are a couple pics

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Needs to be dropped a little, but i've got bigger fish to fry before getting to that.

IMG_0078.jpg

Still going through the boxes of parts it came with and i found these things, anyone know what the hell they are for?

http://i8.photobucke...y1/IMG_0097.jpg

Possibly... Bracket for floor trim California models from '74, Nissan # 47950 N6200. Looks like it was used with Hook (floor trim) # 74940 U6801.......All other states only got a hook # 47950 P0300

It shows four (4) required or 2 per side located in front of the rear seats for holding the carpet in place???

IMG_0097.jpg

Possibly... Bracket for floor trim California models from '74, Nissan # 47950 N6200. Looks like it was used with Hook (floor trim) # 74940 U6801.......All other states only got a hook # 47950 P0300

It shows four (4) required or 2 per side located in front of the rear seats for holding the carpet in place???

amazing work. any idea on the spring dealie bob with the screw on top? i'm guessing glovebox light sensor piece or something like that.

This thing is a haulin machine. I can squeeze a boatload of tools under the seat, a box of fluids and what not behind the passenger seat, and an aluminum shop jack behind the driver seat and still be able to basically fold the cargo area flat. i'll have to look for a "what all do you take in your car" thread to get an idea of what sort of spares other people have been needing...

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

You and MM47 should get together and practice tightening your lug bolts :lol:

Seriously, though. I'm glad to hear nobody got hurt.

dry.gif

laugh.gif

lol sucks mang. Glad you're okay.