KA24E swap into an air bagged 84 720 in Oregon City

Bush

Hey all, my name is David. For some reason everyone calls me Bush. Im into air bagging trucks. Ive never cared much about the performance end of things, until recently.Sorry if Im a little late to the party on making a build thread on this truck

The cliffs notes on this truck is I got it in a partial trade for an early 90s Isuzu Spacecab project that I bought and realized it needed more work than I wanted to do. The 720 was brown on brown on brown on brown. The body was a little beat up and the interior was clean as hell. I used to do auto restoration, so I busted out the hammer and dollies and smoothed her out. I needed something to color wise to go with the brown interior, and I had yellow primer to work with, so we ended up tinting the primer into kind of an Olive Drab-ish type thing. A lttle pinstiping by a guy in Molalla and the body is good for now. That was around the summer of 2007

I bagged it summer of 2008 with my buddies help and I've been daily driving the hell out of it for a couple years. The z24 finally gave up last october. I got a deal on the KA24E from a guy that had already swapped it into a 720, so I thought the hard part was done. It bolted right it on the first weekend. And for the subsequent 24 weekends were spent chasing down missing parts and fixing some questionable stuff he had done. That brings us to current. Its plumbed both cooling and fuel wise. The lower harness is wired in and she cranks over like a champ. I just need to add a few hose clamps and Im ready to do the final wiring on this Can/Am box I bought a while back.

I have failed miserably at pictures, and I'll take the camera up to the shop with me this weekend and get some current stuff, but for now, heres a pic of the truck, and a link to my streetsource profile that has more pics.

11222008103953AM62341.jpg

My nissan build pics on StreetSource

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I put together a quick photobucket account of the truck with all my photos I have. I tried to order them chronologically. You can dig thru that

Here

But heres the quick and dirty

This is the only pic I have of it when I got it in trade. You can see the white Isuzu I traded it for in the background of some of the photos.

11222008103047AM86381.jpg

We had full access to my buddies dads wrecking yard in Molalla, so after I scrubbed the shop with lacquer thinner and scotch brite pads, it was decent enough to do some slam dunk

mud and primer work. Which brings us to this stage.

bushnissan1.jpg

The truck had a freshly rebuilt z24 in it when I got it, and it ran like a champ. But, sometimes it would get a wicked rattle to it, like there was no oil. But everything

seemed to be getting oil, and the oil looked good, so I rolled with it. Well a trip from Molalla to by buddies house up Holcomb rd took me up two large hills, which turned

out to be the demise of that z24. Removing the engine and popping the pan showed me what was up. When my friend rebuilt the engine, he left a shop towel

in the pan, and it would suck up to the sump every now and then, but when I would stop it would fall away from it. Ah well, I scored a donor truck for nothing, robbed the

motor, swapped it in and was good to go.

525200850330PM62681.jpg

I slowly saved up the stuff to bag it and mid 2008 we tore into it. Its a basic 2 link w/panhard rear setup. 8 - SMC valves. 2 viair 380's. 5 gallon tank and Slam re6's all around.

We worked on it slowly, and when I got back from SEMA 08 I buttoned it up and hit the road.

nissannew.jpg

Its been problem free for a couple years, I even chained it up in the snow storm last year and it took the hill by tony's fish market like a champ.

1229091641.jpg

Finally the z24 gave up. I had scored a deal on a KA and figured it was time to tear into that. how hard can it be. welp, its not hard, but time consuming so far. Nissans arent my world. So nothing comes easily. I have to think out each step. But the engine is in and plumbed and I just have to figure out this Can/Am box and Im good to go.

0417111831.jpg

So, if anyone is in this area, and you know your Nissan wiring, I'll gladly supply you with food or beer of whatever the vice of your choice is and lets get this turkey running. Or, i'll just keep bugging

Jeff with IM's full of questions that should be obvious to anyone but me lol

S13 single cams are my favorite! Super easy dude. Just take it one wire at a time and it will be running before you know it! Take another shot of the engine from the front so we can see how you have everything hooked up.

0417111830.jpg

All i have is my cell phone cam so the pics leave a bit to be desired. Theres over a hundred pics in the photobuckt folder that i put up the link for at the beginning of my 3rd post, but if any one wants a better shot of something, just holler and i'll make it happen. And I'm sure their easy once youve poked at them awhile, but for now its got me and 2 buddies shrugging our shoulders lol

• Like 1

Well lucky you, there's a lot of PDX and surrounding area members on here. I'm starting a small brewery in my basement w/ the intention of using the finished product as bribes for help w/ my 620/KA project!! I get off work out in O.C. I do appliance repair, so decent w/ wiring. Wouldn't mind grabbin' some beers and checkin' it out sometime, but I'm no master. There's some great write-ups on here that would probably answer alot of your ?'s.

Welp, I went in and cleaned up the wiring, and she cranked over like a champ, but it didnt fire. A buddy came up and we figured out the distributor was 180 out. Bumped the key and she fired up. The #1 injector seal is a bit leaky, so i didnt let it run. But after 6 months im just glad to hear it idle. I got a shot of the can/am box wired in, works like a champ and is clean as hell.

canam3.jpg

• Like 1

What color is that?

Satin or matte?

Its a grey fill primer with a bunch of toner added to it. So, Im not really sure what you would call it lol. But were going on 4 years with it, so it seems to hold up.

If I get the truck buttoned up enough this weekend i'll bring it out next week. I need to do the timing chain and get the exhaut hooked up and fininsh wiring and finish sectioning the oil pan and and and lol

But, if its road worthy, i'll drag it out

• 1 year later...