(1970) 510 steering

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

often times you can just loosen the nut on the steering box, and turn in the screw a little bit and re-tighten the nut. Dont do it so much that it brakes something. Keep adjusting till the steering tightens up. Check your ball joints and bushings too (as well as bearings)

man Im going to save you alot of pain!

look at gearbox and there a hex nut. loosen it and take a screw driver and tighten slot it till you feel it get slightly stiffer. then ck steering wheel. then lock it back down. if still not then yea you can get another box or a later 78-80 510 ones fit also I hear.

I have 2 boxes. if you lived closer I would throw one in your yard when your not looking.

often times you can just loosen the nut on the steering box, and turn in the screw a little bit and re-tighten the nut. Dont do it so much that it brakes something. Keep adjusting till the steering tightens up. Check your ball joints and bushings too (as well as bearings)

Bad ass, just went and did this and it cleared up the slack I had :thumbup:

Be sure you raise the front wheels off the ground and turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Most wear is in the middle straight ahead position and not so much to the two sides. If you adjust away the excess clearance in the middle you might find that the steering jams on a hard turn!!! Not so good. Get it up and make sure it spins side to side freely. If there are snug spots you will only put a load on the 40 year old bearings and wear them out faster.

Be sure you raise the front wheels off the ground and turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Most wear is in the middle straight ahead position and not so much to the two sides. If you adjust away the excess clearance in the middle you might find that the steering jams on a hard turn!!! Not so good. Get it up and make sure it spins side to side freely. If there are snug spots you will only put a load on the 40 year old bearings and wear them out faster.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do this tomorrow and see how it feels.