Questions about a 1979 620 Motorhome (pics)

harvymushman

]I am about to graduate college and I am looking for a reliable vehicle that I can live out of, and move around the country in for the next year or so. I am fairly mechanically inclined and I am not too worried about having to fix small things on this truck. What I am worried about however is the transmission, clutch....well the whole drivetrain I guess. I know Toyotas and Datsun RVs have some horrible issues with the rear ends. When I drove this RV the other week first gear was giving me issues. The transmission would bump and slide in first gear, but first gear only. Is this simply just a worn out clutch, or could I be looking at bigger issues with the tranny. Below is the advertisement. What do you guys think this thing is really worth? Is it worth my time?

"I've Had it 5 years I used it to haul stuff to sell at the flea markets. Need something bigger now to load more stuff. I'm located in south Florida. Has new tail pipe and muffler,New tires all around. New clutch slave and clutch master cyl. new tuneup 6 months ago. New axle bearings both sides new center bearing . Has a roof leak. It's a good starter project. Removed stove and sink, AC is strong and refrigerator works with electric. I was afraid to run the propane. I think it needs a new clutch but i'm still driving it around. still drive it daily. Needs speedometer cable. Has about 100,000 miles on it. call or text me at 954-740-4805

2.0 motor 4 speed standared transmission, new clutch slave and clutch master cyl. new break boster, new break pads and calipers and rotors, engine runs strong and smooth. "

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If only first gear is acting up, then you have a problem in your trannie. But a 5 speed would already be a better idea, so start saving up so you can get a working 5 speed to swap out with the soon-to-fail 4 speed. I'd say it's worth your time, depending on mhow much they want for it.

Well the Vehicle ID plate (on the inner drivers fender) should start EHL 620 XXX if this is a true Cab chassis model outfitted with a camper and not a home made attempt. The EHL 620 will have the larger rad and heavier duty parts in it.

The Cab Chassis model came from the factory without a box on the back to allow for custom work truck boxes or campers to be added by custom shops. They only came with 4 speeds in them and a 5 speed is not advisable for highway use with this much load. You should be able to find an F4W71B 4spd for cheap from someone who has swapped in a 5 speed. The early 280z 4 speed is identical.

"Bump and slide" is hard to diagnose. The Cab Chassis is a long bed frame and will have a two piece drive shaft. One of the problems is the carrier bearing rubber isolator rotting away. This allows the drive shaft to 'flop around' and may cause what you describe in first gear.

620driveshaft003Large.jpg

First gear only, as stated earlier, could be the transmission.

The 5 speed will fit right in without mods of any kind. The thing is, is that the over drive 5th is intended for highway steady state low throttle cruise to reduce rpms sightly to gain some economy. They are not intended to be used in a truck carrying a load, for passing or for climbing hills. This over stresses the counter shaft bearings and wears them out prematurely. This is why only a 4 speed is offered. If a 5 speed presents itself go for it and you can decide if to use 5th or not.

Saw this a couple weekends ago.

620camper.jpg

Wow that is really nice and clean. I agree I wish I could find a fiberglass body, preferably an older chinook, but they getting rarer and rarer these days. And it seems the few who still have them would be more willing to give up their first born before their chinook. I would love to just find the chinook shell and put it on a 4x4 yoda, but dreams are just dreams.

If I do buy it I will be driving to California, and it seems like I should not have too hard of a time tracking down a 4 or 5 speed if I ever need one. Thanks for the info everyone.