Why are Webber carbs so great?

Roger

I got one --a new one--on my new 521. I never had an original carb to compare it to. It has a tiny air filter which sucks air and makes quite a bit of noise doing it. Whats wrong with a good stock carb? they're not difficult to rebuild.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has a tiny air filter which sucks air and makes quite a bit of noise doing it.

Hey ...... <_< ........ I like that sound . .. .. :lol: .. . they are great for a few more horsepower when your stock carb is fucked,

,, , I put 20k miles on a new Weber DGV .... . and then it started running really bad...... .. so I cleaned out the air bleed screw with compressed air/carb cleaner.... and it was good as new again ..... :D

I got one --a new one--on my new 521. I never had an original carb to compare it to. It has a tiny air filter which sucks air and makes quite a bit of noise doing it. Whats wrong with a good stock carb? they're not difficult to rebuild.

You can't beat the Hitachi for all round running economy and power, but it's a compromise. It has to be smog legal, have good economy, drive ability, easy to start, adequate power when needed and matched for the engine size. For this it will be complicated and not so easy to trouble shoot, rebuild or fix.

The Weber on the other hand is simple, easy to work on and tune and larger. Gives better power and response but slightly poorer mileage. Usually it is almost always compared to a worn out Hitachi that it replaces, which isn't fair really. The difference would be less if the Hitachi was new.

By the way if ya read the tuning manual for a weber it says, if you have that high pitched sucking sounds the air jets are incorrect and possibly the idle jet is wrong also. I spent so much time jetting my old Z22 with a 38/38 outlaw and to be honest I got an average of 19 to 20 mpg daily,spirited driving habits lol. Takes awhile to jet them most just toss em on outta the box, and most are close enough, altitude temperature and humidity affects them much more. The factory outta the box settings are in the ballpark.

A weber DGV is not expensive compared to a reman carb ... or any new carb for that matter.... they are very cheap

But if tuned properly it will be the best most reliable carb you will ever own... and very tuneable....

To top it all off... a smog legal one will pass emissions easier.

Its the only carb i will run on any engine under 3000cc's

Here's where the Hitachi is better. Get a circa 1980 Hitachi, and it is altitude compensating. Weber 32/36 doesn't do that.

I think you need slightly smaller main jets at high altitudes for optimum tuning. And of course, adjust the a/f mixture screw, but that only affect idle and off-idle, not cruising or full-throttle.