Idler arm

This is for a 1200.

I knew I had idler arm problems. I bought a bushing kit, but look at this:

Picture2-6.png

??? maybe in ancient times, someone installed the wrong part? The question is, what do I need? Should I buy a new idler arm (A)? Or go to the junkyard and find a B from a B210 or B310? Would the bolt spacing be the same?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason:

I the same thing happen 2 years ago and thought the front end of the car was coming apart, got a bushing kit at Baxter's Auto Parts and put it in and there was no slack in the idler arm after that. The bushings are tapered on the outside and straight on the inside where they fit on to the shaft with the nut. The hardest part was digging the old bushings out of idler arm bracket. Wrong bushings?? RAYBESTOS Part # 4501067 for 1200.

I have spare idler arm that I can measure that is off of 1200 coupe.. The bushing kit also fits the later 510, 210 and 280ZX. You shouldn't have that much space between the bracket and the washer/nut, after replacing both bushings.

Looks normal to me. All the parts there look stock. The rubber bushing is in two parts, upper and lower. Your upper has worn or rotted away. For $4 get new ones from Nissan and swap them. And the bushings in the list I gave are the same, there's no telling if the idler arms are the same.. doubtful. Order new ones.

Looks normal to me. All the parts there look stock. The rubber bushing is in two parts, upper and lower. Your upper has worn or rotted away. For $4 get new ones from Nissan and swap them. And the bushings in the list I gave are the same, there's no telling if the idler arms are the same.. doubtful. Order new ones.

The idler arms are slightly different between the 1200 and B210. However, I've swapped a complete tierod assembly/idler arm from a B210 into a 1200 before without problems, so I don't believe the geometry is actually different. The B210 parts appear to be heavier duty.

B210 idler arm:

idlerarm.jpg

The idler looks correct, wellexcept for the gap. I measured mine between the two plates on either side of the bracket that holds it to the frame. I came up with 2 5/16". couldn't really get a camera,my hands, and a light down in there to take a pci for ya :(

The idler looks correct, wellexcept for the gap. I measured mine between the two plates on either side of the bracket that holds it to the frame. I came up with 2 5/16". couldn't really get a camera,my hands, and a light down in there to take a pci for ya :(

The bolt spacing on the bracket is the same (I've bolted one in before) I'm just not sure about the arm to center link angle/length though.

B210 steering linkage (for '74):

IMG_1475.jpg

I put everything back together and it's all cool. False alarm I guess, I'm sorry, but wouldn't you freak out if you saw that WTF measurement above?

Thank you all for your help.

Cool, glad to hear it went all back together :)