CA law for out of state cars

Hello fellow ratsuners, it's been a while. Anyhow, I am looking at a fj20 swapped 510 that's in the sf bay area craigslist and it has Washington tags; the question is, will this be a simple change of title sale or will I run into trouble where I won't be able to register the car under my name here in California? Any feed back will be much appreciated and if you know any more details on the car, please do tell. Thank you all

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i know, they check under the hood for vin information, its going to be obvious that thing has a newer engine, and might have to be smog checked.

That FJ sold a while ago, so im assuming they had problems with it going thru dmv and thats why its for sale now. It sold for a good chunk of change, so i dont see any other reason it would still have WA plates (meaning they had the money to do the title transfer, and probably couldn't) I'd be leary

usually any vehicle with out of state plates has to have a full chp inspection be weighed lights brakes etc. so unless u have an old motor or feel like pulling the swap and having it inspected on a trailer i would be careful. we had the same problem with a mini we were trying to buy it wouldnt pass so we got screwed.

Little bit different of a situation but when I brought my 71 Fairlady in from Japan I had to have a VIN verification done (no other inspections) at the CHP. Had an L28 with triple carbs, header, and not a bit of smog equipment to be found and had no issues. The CHP officer that did the inspection even complemented me on the car...

See if the guy will let you try and register the car first to see if any problems arise and go from there. If the guy knows it cannot get registered in Cali then it is a shady deal from the start...Just a thought

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Pre 75 you will only need a chp inspection. It is pre smog so you can have any engine you want

not true..... modified engines in pre-smog cars can still get in trouble... in cali its ILLEGAL to alter or remove any federal or state emission devices.. the engine is considered part of the emissions system.

not true..... modified engines in pre-smog cars can still get in trouble... in cali its ILLEGAL to alter or remove any federal or state emission devices.. the engine is considered part of the emissions system.

but most pre-75 cars had no emission devices or controls, and if the motor you swap is not USDM motor or did not come with emission controls. like my CA18det there is nothing they can say. cool.gif

but most pre-75 cars had no emission devices or controls, and if the motor you swap is not USDM motor or did not come with emission controls. like my CA18det there is nothing they can say. cool.gif

who told you this? 1966 and up california started mandating air injection on most vehicles under 3/4 ton, egr etc...... again if you altered your emissions they can say alot. .... true it rarely happens but if you piss off a DOT officer or get pinched at a pollution check point they can make your life miserable

who told you this? 1966 and up california started mandating air injection on most vehicles under 3/4 ton, egr etc...... again if you altered your emissions they can say alot. .... true it rarely happens but if you piss off a DOT officer or get pinched at a pollution check point they can make your life miserable

+1

pretty much in CA it is illegal to take the pre heat stove pipe off your 510's stock air cleaner assembly... if a cop wanted he could send you to the ref wich would require you to fix it or pay the 650 fine.

JDM motors are instant fine since you cant do sh8t with them at the ref station.

you take emmisions off, you fail.

ask me how i know.....

+1

pretty much in CA it is illegal to take the pre heat stove pipe off your 510's stock air cleaner assembly... if a cop wanted he could send you to the ref wich would require you to fix it or pay the 650 fine.

JDM motors are instant fine since you cant do sh8t with them at the ref station.

you take emmisions off, you fail.

ask me how i know.....

i know what you mean.... they sent me to the ref in marysville... how about you?

This is patently FALSE.For example,1973 & later Pontiacs all had EGR valves.67 Pontiacs had A.I.R. injection.And if you put say a 1988 motor in your 1972 Dime,then your 72 Dime HAS to meet 1988 specs.

i know what you mean.... they sent me to the ref in marysville... how about you?

Got popped in rancho. had to go to ref in south sac.

Almost made my car up to specs, but the jerkoff was saying it was obd2 when it wasnt so that was a whole nother set of issues.... so i sold it.

hmm well i got mine verified by the CHP they could care less about which motor i had in there, and what mods were done to it.

i doubt that.... your just talking about vin verification right?

Stay out of sac then, because the way budgets are now cops need to pull that extra revenue, and if they have you pop your hood for a fix it ticket, even one for loud exhaust, your going to the state ref to get it passed off... and they are gonna laugh when they see that motor and tell you to pay the fine in court

i was going in for a vin verification, they had to get the vin off of the firewall, so i had to open the hood, so he obviously saw the motor, and what was done to it. didnt say anything about it and told me not to worry about it... they say they mostly do Honda's.. hardly ever classic cars..

i was going in for a vin verification, they had to get the vin off of the firewall, so i had to open the hood, so he obviously saw the motor, and what was done to it. didnt say anything about it and told me not to worry about it... they say they mostly do Honda's.. hardly ever classic cars..

i smell poop

In California, for pre 76 Vehicles from out of state, all you really need is the Vin verification form filled out and signed by a 'Peace' officer.

When I lived in NorCal, I called my local city Police Department and asked if an officer may be available for a Vin verification check. My car wasn't running, so the local PD was kind enough to come to my home.

I had the single page Vin verification form all printed out, and had my Washington State title and registration in hand. I showed the officer the underhood dash plate, and he verified that the VIN matched the paperwork. Very simple, and easy.

In terms of smog regulation, NorCal Dime is correct. Once the car is titled/registered in California it does need all of the original emissions equipment, even though it is not subject to an annual smog check.