maxima wagon

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

harness and fuse block are done, next is to get all the essential things connected and then get the fuel lines set up. After that i can see if it runs.

Harness is not secured but keeps the general shape. The bundle of white wire is for the electric fans. There will be another bundle of wires for the headlight and wiper relays added at later time.

IMAG0259.jpg

mockup of the universal heater/ac unit

IMAG0261.jpg

making a bracket for the fuel rails, once it is set correctly i will box it up and weld it together

IMAG0262.jpg

test fitting condenser

IMAG0260.jpg

• 2 months later...

looking to get the engine running next week, then finish the rest with a movable car. I had few inspectors show up to check out the engine:

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

working on the intake and few modifications to the fuel rails:

IMAG0381.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

I went ahead and had a new drive shaft made as the original one even if adopted would probably snap instantly

IMAG0375.jpg

new flange is much stronger than the original

IMAG0376.jpg

Old fuel line is too small to run safely, so i am in process of replacing it to a 3/8th line.

IMAG0383.jpg

I am using walbro 255 fuel pump with universal filters. There is a 100 micron filter before the pump and then 10 micron filter after the pump. The original fuel rails have a built in fuel pressure regulator.

IMAG0384.jpg

minor things take a lot of time. The fuel rails are set and the new fuel line is done. Transmission is connected to the shifter but park ended up in drive so i have to relocate it. Power steering line is also been connected to the original line.The transmission dipstick tube took over an hour to get in correctly and get it to clear everything. i want to get a different oil pan with better clearance, but i will wait until the rest of the car is finished.

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

It is 5.3l . Gave it a try at starting today, but only got some backfiring. Going back to check the wiring order for injectors and coils. Before even trying to start I already cleared all emissions and security on the computer. Only thing connected is engine harness, all of body wiring is still disconnected.

• 3 months later...

going slow on the wagon due to other projects.

been getting all the parts for the front rebuild of my 67 Camaro

IMAG0489.jpg

then went through painting my truck, still did not put a flatbed on it. Been also doing a bit of rewiring and fixing all the crappy splices from the previous owner

IMAG0528.jpg

IMAG0540.jpg

dirty already two weeks after painting

IMAG0566.jpg

it still has cracked oilpan on it, best it done is move to a different parking spot under it's own power. I am getting different seats mocked up for the front, completly rewiring it, putting some sound proof material as well. Also replaced the original clock that required a seperate timer(and did not work anyway) with little LED digital clock. It is still using the original button to change time.

IMAG0499.jpg

IMAG0564.jpg

IMAG0565.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is a sweeet project.. We have been really happy with that inline 6, but there is just no replacement for cubic inches - ( liters.. that is...)

It's been a while since the posts.. how goes? Our 83' maxima wagon is getting a different retrofit, check out Proj., datto on 83' box hitch install and general car fixup/cleanup..

Good luck! Happy drifting!!!

peace,

flipster

In your earlier posts about the fuel line in particular, you mentioned how little details take a lot of time. I totally agree!!. I wish you luck on your project car - nice work on the weld. Grinding and shaping still lies ahead...In solidarity with your bigger feeding tube for that monster of an engine, I post my run of power line along the same frame channel... loving the ACdelco alternator ...

http://thenovelsound.org/83-Ratsun/FSI/2012-11-23_15-39-09_484.jpg

2012-11-23_15-39-09_484.jpg

hey - you made a quick comment on the springs - Got details? are they stiffer? Sounds like it with re: dirt track racing - got a supplier and part #? yours should fit mine perfectly - but might they even make taller riding - even stiffer springs? I agree with you on the sway bar tip and anything you find interesting on the sway bar aspect, please post and share!!! I am presetly looking for a set of parts ( drv. side view mirror electric, orig. wire hubcaps, oil sender & info, E brake transaxle cable, even a radio antenna and hood ornament!) and would love details details!!

• 3 months later...

finally found time to finish the oil pan, been distracted by other builds as always

IMAG0884.jpg

if anybody else looking for springs later:

they are 5"x10.5" 325lbs springs. Any circle Track online store will have them. Next time i would go with 375lbs springs due to lack of rear swaybar

Image105.jpg

other project

IMAG0754.jpg

• 1 month later...

Took the car around town to friends place for oil pan swap in first gear. Put the oil pan in, and fixed few leaks. I had one O2 sensor and connector missing before, which is now installed as well. Engine runs good now, but the transmission lost 3rd and 4th gear. The same 4l60e in my trans am lost 1st and 2nd gear, starting to hate auto trans even more now. Reprogrammed the computer to never shift past second, so i can at least drive it at 30mph or so while i finish electrical and interior. Will have to get a different transmission for it, or just replace 3rd and 4th clutch pack. In the picture I am in process to about solder the wires together for my new sensor connector, and the oil pan can be seen installed.I put a little silicone on the top corner of the oil pan, as it appeared as if oil found a small pin hole on the top that water never found during testing before. It might have been coming from the top too, the back two bolts were not tight all the way to seal the gasket.

IMAG0968.jpg