HID LIGHTS

has any 411 owners tried HID's in theyre headlights..if so is it hard to install since its a old setup with new technology. a friend said its do-able just gotta switch a couple things out. but then again he doesnt have a 411 himself or a datsun in that matter..

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its not hard, i have my housings just need to get the hids for em, put them on a relay tho, dont use the stock wiring to power ur ballist. if u need help with that i can draw up a diagram for u or come help in person

nice..ill let you know once i get back home and my car in the shop..wont be for a couple weeks probably..work is busier than hell and making a trip to vegas wit my lil lady the april 9th..

Can anyone with HIDs show me the cutoff you have with your H4 housings? Like park the car 20 feet from a wall and take a picture.

I just kinda curious what a HID does in a housing not originally designed for anything but halogen.

Here is one option for wiring headlight relays.

HeadlampRelay.jpg

It uses a KC 3300 headlight relay. It has two 98 terminals, instead of one 87 (normally open) and an 87A (normally closed) I recently got two of these relays shipped to my doorstep for $18.45.

Here is a post I made earlier, when I put these relays in a 1974 Ford pickup.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30060-headlight-relays/page__p__448880__hl__%2Bheadlight+%2Brelay__fromsearch__1#entry448880

curious as i am not a electrical whiz but why would you need a relay for using HID's as doesn't the ballast on the HID kit just amplify the existing power coming out of the original headlight plugs? does the relay make the outgoing power from the original plugs transfer power better?

• Like 1

When you run electricity through a wire, it loses some voltage. With a relay, you can put the relay up front in a car, and the electricity goes from the battery, more or less straight to the lights.

Without the relay, the electricity goes from the battery, back to the dashboard light switch, to the dimmer switch, and then to the lights.

On the Ford pickup I did, I was losing close to 2.7 volts in the headlight wiring. Now it is losing less than .3 volts.

Here is one option for wiring headlight relays.

HeadlampRelay.jpg

It uses a KC 3300 headlight relay. It has two 98 terminals, instead of one 87 (normally open) and an 87A (normally closed) I recently got two of these relays shipped to my doorstep for $18.45.

Here is a post I made earlier, when I put these relays in a 1974 Ford pickup.

http://community.rat...__1#entry448880

so i guess your using the old high beams as fog lights then?

Can anyone with HIDs show me the cutoff you have with your H4 housings?

cutoff? what cutoff, we're talking H4 housings! :D

These guys will be driving around with headlights that are basically like running 6 lights on high beams all the time.

Their question is about the install not about how illegal and dangerous these lights are.

BTW this is an amazing cutoff...

cutoff1.jpg

Projector headlights are the way to go to get that cutoff.

I have seen ONE housing that is 7" round and had an excellent cutoff. The guy is on Hybridz.org and the housings were not cheap $15 ebay conversions. they cost a lot.

To add some information here, this is the thread I mentioned earlier.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/83396-the-ultimate-hid-headlight-upgrade-the-easy-way/

Oh, and read this and watch the videos

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I have never seen non-projector housings with as great of a light cutoff as this!

hid01.jpg

You will not get this with $10-20 eBay H4 conversions

hid02.jpg

awesome! I'd like to see that... I hope they're not the "projector look" headlights like these

$(KGrHqYOKiYE1fKJ3kFKBNiEsNOrVQ~~0_12.JPG

Actually they are like these!! Cheapies!! But I don't have a show truck so it's all good to me! The huge improvement I got was worth it! I've posted plenty of pics before but last night for some reason would not let me do it! Im gonna try again later!

• 2 weeks later...

Cell phone pic of my BMW 620 Projectors when i had barely finished installing them and used 3,000k HIDs (Now have 4.5K) they aren't probably aimed in the pic either

Even with the fluted lens you can clearly see the cut-off... with the 4.5K the light output is AMAZING, rivals most new cars equipped with factory projectors.

_MG_0222.jpg?t=1302671765

awesome! I'd like to see that... I hope they're not the "projector look" headlights like these

$(KGrHqYOKiYE1fKJ3kFKBNiEsNOrVQ~~0_12.JPG

i got a set of these also, very cheap, was gonna put hids in them, other than not being the bad ass expensive stuff is there any downside to this style, ive never used the projection look alikes b4