HID LIGHTS

i got a set of these also, very cheap, was gonna put hids in them, other than not being the bad ass expensive stuff is there any downside to this style, ive never used the projection look alikes b4

Possibly not shining the light right. Blinding other drivers. Getting pulled over for driving with "brights on" when they are not. Creating more people who now hate the term "HID" and say that it hurts their eyes. At the very least get some BMW ellipsoids to put HIDs into. Be prepared to be flashed (I get flashed quite often in the Jetta with its stock headlights (well made halogens), which I know are level,imagine badly pointed/aimed faux HIDs).

I am all about upgrading the light on our cars. It is the safe thing to do. This is not to be a fad, like ebay suggests it should be (as well as the countless mid 90's explorers with blue headlights). This should be done in safe a manner, as in making it safer for you to see at night, but also not impairing the vision of other drivers around you.

• Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To add some information here, this is the thread I mentioned earlier.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/83396-the-ultimate-hid-headlight-upgrade-the-easy-way/

Oh, and read this and watch the videos

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I have never seen non-projector housings with as great of a light cutoff as this!

If only they could be found in 5-3/4"

if you stick with a 4300 - 5000k you should be okay on the "glare" issue. but if you dont adjust them correctly, you're still going to have problems.

I just got hooked up with the main importer for AutoPal headlamps. I've had them on my blazer and they are very nice. I'm hoping to offer a 5 3/4 lamp upgrade with my HID kits shortly. It will also be available for the 7". All my H4 HID kits are Bi-Xenon....

i got a set of these also, very cheap, was gonna put hids in them, other than not being the bad ass expensive stuff is there any downside to this style, ive never used the projection look alikes b4

You can use a D2R HID bulb which is designed for a reflector housing as opposed to the D2S which is for a projector. I haven't personally used a D2R but it has a high temp painted band on the bulb to help eliminate the glare that is common with non projector housings. Read up on it, might be a viable optiion if you don't want to drop the coin on projectors.

My simple point is, they are not projectors. That lens in front of the bulb is fake and is only a decoration.

Possibly not shining the light right. Blinding other drivers. Getting pulled over for driving with "brights on" when they are not. Creating more people who now hate the term "HID" and say that it hurts their eyes. At the very least get some BMW ellipsoids to put HIDs into. Be prepared to be flashed (I get flashed quite often in the Jetta with its stock headlights (well made halogens), which I know are level,imagine badly pointed/aimed faux HIDs).

I am all about upgrading the light on our cars. It is the safe thing to do. This is not to be a fad, like ebay suggests it should be (as well as the countless mid 90's explorers with blue headlights). This should be done in safe a manner, as in making it safer for you to see at night, but also not impairing the vision of other drivers around you.

EXACTLY!!!

If only they could be found in 5-3/4"

yup, but that's what used 1990 325i headlights are for. :cool:

man i cant wait to order some lights. the whole reason is to see better at night. like i said ima be daily driving my 411 and really dont wanna hit something ruining my car or wrecking it. people leave stupid crap in the road like dead doggs and big rig tires. not fun to see or hit. thanks everyone for theyre in put wheither it was useful or not. lol. appreciate it thanks. keep it coming.

BMW Projectors are the best bang for the buck, both can be had at the junkyard for 8-14$

On my 620 we didn't have to dent anything just mod the lights themselves and cut the buckets... you won't have any light scatter and you won't be blinding anyone.

BMW Projectors are the best bang for the buck, both can be had at the junkyard for 8-14$

On my 620 we didn't have to dent anything just mod the lights themselves and cut the buckets... you won't have any light scatter and you won't be blinding anyone.

on the bmw topic of headlights. i always thought it would be sweet to have the newer styled ones with the halo in the headlight. i tried looking stuff up but find it kinda difficult for my type of headlights. anyway around that its not that i couldnt find the halo lights themselves its just they fitting of it would be my issue with the lights being round. i know theyre expensive to which isnt my issue either lol. while i have a good job and the money its all going to my car dang it. my toys are coming first before i settle down :) lol.

on the bmw topic of headlights. i always thought it would be sweet to have the newer styled ones with the halo in the headlight. i tried looking stuff up but find it kinda difficult for my type of headlights. anyway around that its not that i couldnt find the halo lights themselves its just they fitting of it would be my issue with the lights being round. i know theyre expensive to which isnt my issue either lol. while i have a good job and the money its all going to my car dang it. my toys are coming first before i settle down :) lol.

Dont bother with Halos. They are for BMWs and Ricers. If you must look up some DIY tutorials about it.

why for ricers? I dont get that. They can be used in place of city lights. My LED ones can be used as DRL's. Its all a personal taste I guess.

I will have kits installed for the 5.75" soon enough though for those that want them.

paisa...are you running a 6 or 8000k kit?

why for ricers? I dont get that.

I have never seen a decent set of halos that were not BMW lights. Also running halos is imitation/poser status, therefore ricer. Kinda like running a strip of LEDs under/over the headlights like Audi does. Best left on the car they were intended for.

• Like 1

why for ricers? I dont get that. They can be used in place of city lights. My LED ones can be used as DRL's. Its all a personal taste I guess.

I will have kits installed for the 5.75" soon enough though for those that want them.

paisa...are you running a 6 or 8000k kit?

I want.

finally took some pics of my lights!! My core support is dented so my lights are a little crooked, havent taken the time to really adjust them properly but they still work! 35d7dc5f.jpg

So you know now that those are not projectors but we still can't tell if they are HID or not. It really is impossible to tell how bright they are with a picture. Do you have an H4 bulb in those low beams or HID system?

vex-hid-regular.jpg

What kind of headlights do you have in these? Are they true projector hid's and where did you get them?

That is not my car, just a random picture, but I can guarantee you that is a projector system with HIDS. Alot the of the Jap SUVs run them (Infinity, Lexus).

I want nice headlights. BMW Ellipsoids will do for now for me. When I want something amazing I will order from here: Mhttp://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Sure you have to cut and do other things yourself, but its a project and sounds fun to me, and all the products they offer are top of the line.

swweettt...cus ima be driving on freeways 3 or 4 in the morning for work and im not trying to hit a BIG RIG tire like my bro did in his acura..ALLL BAD

a little off topic but i hit the leftovers of a blowout in a 90 chevy 1500 single cab with a 4/6 drop kit and 20's on it at about 75 at about 5:30 am. knocked the speaker out my dash and i didnt even know it till i went to leave work that day

So you know now that those are not projectors but we still can't tell if they are HID or not. It really is impossible to tell how bright they are with a picture. Do you have an H4 bulb in those low beams or HID system?

vex-hid-regular.jpg

3047fb76.jpg1d64b3f6.jpg

HIDs with H4 6000k bulbs

Lol, time to get a fuse panel or rewire some stuff under that hood. Is everything wired directly to that battery?

Haha for sure I need a panel!! Y'all don't miss a thing!! The weather is getting better so I'll be able to ride my bike so I can put the truck in the garage and work all this stuff out!! Anyone is welcome to come over and teach me the way of the ninja with my truck!!