1986 720 KC 4x4

izzo

bought this a month ago with a blown head gasket, popped a new HG on there and the fucking autozone "nissan timing chain tool" fell out and the tensioner fell down. put all new timing kit in it while its apart. Got it back together and the mother fucker would not run. Got some help from steve, datzenmike, sealik, and micromachinery. Thanks you guys! Thanks for letting me use up 100 of your texts messages to day with questions Raph, i appreciate it man, and i def ow you some beers next time we meet up.

Well after a lot of dicking around, and tinkering, here she is.

still gotta put a few oil pan bolts in

few hose clamps

exhaust bolts

power steering

grill.

rubber caps for the emissions bullshit...

probably forgetting something else lol...

But she runs, i can move her around my driveway under its own power. After i get some of those things done, i will get it licensed and drive it around town for a few weeks and see how it does. then take it on a longer drive. I hate to put my trust in something without getting a little use around town in first.

When i got it...

PART_1299482410351.jpg

video -- click it

th_VID_20110305_173706.jpg

IMG_20110304_152203.jpg

IMG_20110304_152153.jpg

IMG_20110304_152144.jpg

IMG_20110304_152132.jpg

IMG_20110304_144311.jpg

---

Now...

Video link, click it...

th_VID_20110325_192427.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so how long before you sell it? :lol:

and what buy a F250? :lol:

:rofl:

Bishes...

At least a year or two. Might not ever. For now, itll be my get around town rig. Then ill take it on a trip in a few weeks after i ran it a while to make sure its ok. After i get the goon running, i will takei t out wheeling a few times.. But i will have to keep it around, for a tow rig/hauling rig. so this ones a keeper. i got it to replace the other trucks i had. I have had a truck for years now, and wont do without again.

The 720 4x4 is finished. Everythings back together and bolted down. Only thing left to do is top of the power steering fluid, and change the oil/filter. Feelzgoodman.... Next week ill run up to dmv, and get some tabs on this shit then daily it.. This project is far from over. Needs bigger tires, lift, winch, canopy, some other odds n ends..

Might venture out and yank the head on the 510.. but probably not, its about an hour from drink time!

Drove it to the dmv and back, about an hour drive. Only issue was a ground wire on the firewall flopping around (forgot to hook it back up to the valve cover) Got plates and tabs. Finally, have my own licensed daily driver again. No more borrowing the wives van.

Let me know when your ready to sell it. Seriously. Even if it's not for while.Maybe by the time your ready to sell , I will have some money. lol

:rofl: Will do jester! These rigs are awesome. There are a few things that need attention at some point. Ill discuss when/if that time comes. I know where a yellow 720 KC 4x4 is sitting right now, and next time i go by i am going to stop and ask about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Removed the power steering belt, PS leaks so its off till i get a new hose.

Timed it 10degrees advanced. adjusted the throttle properly. idles at 1k. cleaned it up a little bit.

as of right now it just needs a few things

PS hose

driver door hinge

New windshield

looking for some tires for it now, rears are ok, fronts mostly ok just a little camber wear...

Removed the power steering belt, PS leaks so its off till i get a new hose.

Timed it 10degrees advanced. adjusted the throttle properly. idles at 1k. cleaned it up a little bit.

as of right now it just needs a few things

PS hose

driver door hinge

New windshield

looking for some tires for it now, rears are ok, fronts mostly ok just a little camber wear...

Should be around 3-5 degrees....dual plugs and all

Idle seems a little high

Should be around 3-5 degrees....dual plugs and all

Idle seems a little high

Oh yeah? Thanks for that info man. Ill get to that next weekend and re-time it a little lower. I think the idle is at what it is due to the fact its at 10 degrees. I let the throttle cable loose, and loosened the idle screw, and it woudln't go any lower. 1k is a bit high for what we tune them too, but 1k isn't to radical either :D

Ill play around with it and let you know what happens. (i dont have the vacuum advance hooked up right now either)

Once you get it tuned....there is a single white wire coming from the dizzy...unplug it, and all 8 plugs will fire, all the time.

I know which one you are talking about, theres 4 wires in there. Good info. I should have it done next weekend and ill try removing that white wire.

I've been hearing a small exhaust leak, thinking the gasket was getting ready to blow out or going out. Got bad real quick. Pretty noisy coming to work. Shut it off, was fine.

Went to head out for lunch, and it was real loud.. Think i see the problem here :rofl: These exhaust mani's have two metal plugs for whatever reason (im guessing cali emissions or some shit...) anyways, somethings missing!

IMG_20110419_143124.jpg

Ill try and find a bolt to shove in there tonight, but doubt ill find something. If thats the case im going to have to weld it...