Weber Problem

Zeusimo

Ok, I Got A Weber, Completely Rebuilt It, Slapped It On My Truck And It Started, But Didn't Idle I Had A Few Vacuum Leaks And Got Rid Of Them, Messed With The Carb And Now It Idles At 900-950ish

I Don't Think I Have Anymore Leaks But If I Do It's So Small I Can Hear It...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1WyqQ66Cqw

As For The Black Spots On My Driveway, Those Went Away After Playing With The Carb.

I Have Plugged These...

DSC03240.jpg

DSC03241.jpg

DSC03242.jpg

DSC03244.jpg

DSC03245.jpg

DSC03247.jpg

DSC03248.jpg

Is It Necessary To Remove This And Cover It With A Plate??

DSC03246.jpg

I Have This Fuel Pump....

DSC03251.jpg

Also What Is This???

Not Shown In Any Of The Weber Part Explosions :huh:

DSC03250.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "thing" is the anti dieseling solenoid. It has to be connected to switched 12V.

DSC03246.jpg

^^ Thats EGR. If it's not connected then you can just remove it and make a blockoff plate.May not help your problem here, but it would look better then now. Not really much of a reason to remove it though if it's not causing a problem though eh?

Try swapping fuel pumps. I just had a friend with an '87 Mustang that had an issue with it stalling after running about 30 minuets. It would gradually start missing, then stall and wouldn't run again. New fuel pump and tadaaaaaaa

Edited by metalmonkey47

i run the stock fuel pump on my L20... i also run a 510 intake manifold on my webber , and got rid of all that vacuume stuff that is on the stock L20 trucks , egr , and the one that runs down the the exhaust manifild , except the vaccume line that goes from the distributor to the side of the carb... also to check for intake leaks take a can of starting fluid and spray it on a " COLD " engine where the intake goes on the head, if you have a intake leak the engine will gain RPM.. I have a 32 36 webber on my L20..

also check the back of the carb where your throttle cable goes in , the is an idle adjustment there, you may need to adjust that screw to it raised your idle up... your automatic choke might be warming all the way , and that causes the engine to die , so try adjusting the cam on the throttle cable, you can also cover the carb with your hand , when the chock is fully open.. just My 2 cents

i run the stock fuel pump on my L20... i also run a 510 intake manifold on my webber , and got rid of all that vacuume stuff that is on the stock L20 trucks , egr , and theone that runs down the the exhaust manifild , except the vaccume line that goes from the distributor to the side of the carb... also to check for intake leaks take a can of starting fluid and spray it on a cold enginewhere the intake goes on the head, if you have a intake leak the engine will gain RPM.. I have a 32 36 webber on my L20

That stuff is pure ether. It's highly flammable/explosive. That's not exactly a good idea on a hot engine.

Brake parts cleaner works a similar way. Except it will stall the engine.

Ok, So What Fuel Pump Are You Guys Running On An L20b W/ Weber 32/36?

Or Would It Be Better To Get A Fuel Pressure Regulator? :unsure:

If So What Kind Are You Guys Running??

You can always get a cheap fuel pressure gauge for a few bucks and watch your fuel pressure. If it drops when your engine starts to stall out, theres your problem.

In that case, monkey's recommendation sounds right on target: Borrow or buy a $5 sears fuel pump tester. If it's more than 5 psi correct it. If it's 3-5 psi then you know its correct and don't have to buy a regulator. A lot of guys with cheap regulators have had problem where removing them runs better! Time to stop guessing and start testing :)

In that case, monkey's recommendation sounds right on target: Borrow or buy a $5 sears fuel pump tester. If it's more than 5 psi correct it. If it's 3-5 psi then you know its correct and don't have to buy a regulator. A lot of guys with cheap regulators have had problem where removing them runs better! Time to stop guessing and start testing :)

+1 ,,, Cheapo Regulators are a no-no ,,, more head-ache's than worth ,,, I have used the Holley Regulators with good results so far this past year :)

Except My brother's DUAL Weber DGV's on his Z car (32/36) ,,, Do not run right past 4psi and ( 2.5-4 psi ) ( with a good regulator and low PSI pump verified with fuel pressure gauge ) :)

,,, nothing but headache's above 5-6psi that we noticed :)

if it was a fuel pump issue it wouldnt run at all,... or run rough and then die when you gave it gas,Or not run at all

That's not 100% correct. Some fuel pumps are okay until they warm up. I've seen several pumps that work great for a few minuets, but after they start to warm up the fuel pressure gradually drops until the vehicle won't run.

So....

Today I Went To Autozone And "Borrowed" A Fuel Pressure Testing Kit :cool:

165 Punches In The Face :(

DSC03253.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnp3I60SwEQ

Tested It Next To The Weber And Got 0 The Whole Time

Tested It Next To The Fuel Pump And Got 1.5ish

So... I'm Assuming I Have A Bad Fuel Pump That Doesn't Work On My Weber But Somehow Worked On My Hitachi.... :huh:

are you 100% sure the tank hasn't clogged the outlet (to engine) with debris or a starving fuel tank filter sock ?

clogged fuel filter before fuel pump (if you have one) ?

Cheapy electric fuel pumps are never to be trusted 100% :lol:

Just throwing out some idears ,,, :)

Yeah... I've Already Checked When I Fist Bought The Truck, That Fuel Filter Has About 1k On It

Anybody Know What Pump Would Be Nice For A L20b Daily Driver?

Ok ,,, so you when did you buy ur truck :huh: ?

I ALWAYs ,,, run a regulator ,,, on my cheapy electric pumps ,,, I run a carter electric on my Z car works fine so far :)