identity theft

some one filed thier tax's with my wife's ssi number listed as a dependant. Now i cant e-file and its gonna be a long process to get my return finished. We have been married 20 years so i know i didnt flub up the fileing

So now i worry what else has been done with her ID. I did flag all my credit reports, and now i need to figure what else to do to lock things down for a while, at least untill we figure out whats really going on>

any advice from some one that knows from experience.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look into life lock credit monitoring, or similar things. Did you call the major credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on you credit history? Make a police report and give that report number to the credit Bureaus, they will put the alert on your credit history for alot longer. Major credit bureaus are transunion, equifax, and transperian. Hope this helps and good luck.

Look into life lock credit monitoring, or similar things. Did you call the major credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on you credit history? Make a police report and give that report number to the credit Bureaus, they will put the alert on your credit history for alot longer. Major credit bureaus are transunion, equifax, and transperian. Hope this helps and good luck.

already did most of that, so far nothing big has happened, but i figure its not to be taken lightly.

well. the first thing to look at is whether or not the person or preparer might have transposed a number or two. SS numbers are issued by region, so in theory someone might have had a kid and their ss number was issued at the same office where your wife's was assigned (if that info is available)

It could have been an honest mistake. Also look at the credit report to see if any unfamiliar inquiries have been made. from there, you can take steps to lock down her credit file.

If this is the first time it has happened, I would lean towards thinking that it was an honest mistake. Why would someone want to purposely claim your wife, by name and ss # as a dependent on something like taxes...

Just sayin.

Check all your credit cards to make sure they(the lowlife ID thief) have not call them saying that they lost it and want a new one sent to them fed express. Check your checking accounts to make sure nothing is being taken out automaticly from your accounts like a cell phone service or any other services or products. If you start getting mail having to do with credit cards that you didn't get before, call them. I got a card from dell computers, I called and asked, turns out someone had ordered a computer in my name, aslo I had someone trying to get a joint acct. credit card. Have you had anything stolen lately, a new cleaning service or new people in your old cleaning service? Have you applied for a credit card or any other type of credit? Anyone that comes into your house, or asks for your SSN is suspect, even a doctors or dentist office. wayno

IRS says it may be a simple typo, but yet the instruct me to file a identity theft form along with my mailed in return,

apparently they cant just cross check stuff and figure things out.

i have had calls about a student loan that we do not have anything to do with, so it is time to lock up the credit and start looking into all of the other possabilities

IRS says it may be a simple typo, but yet the instruct me to file a identity theft form along with my mailed in return,

apparently they cant just cross check stuff and figure things out.

i have had calls about a student loan that we do not have anything to do with, so it is time to lock up the credit and start looking into all of the other possabilities

that is the first step. I don't really see a connection between you, as a separate person with a distinct ssn and your wife and the student loan though. When it comes to financial aid, it seems like an elaborate way to steal money from someone. It is far simpler for thieves to commit credit card or bank account fraud.

you would also see a reference on your credit report if a loan was taken out in your name. oftentimes, if you have had a student loan that hasnt been paid off, it will exchange hands as many times as a mortgage note will exchange hands. Someone taking a student loan out like that has more ways of tracing it back to an individual (not to mention putting their academic career at risk)

in the case of fraud and theft, I would think that taxes and student loan fraud isn't as common as other types of financial theft.

Haha, credit... If i can't pay for it in cash, i dont need it. I do have one credit card, for emergencies only. Never used it, pay a super small fee. Its in case we get attacked by zombies.

i have zero credit debt, no car payments, if i cant pay cash i cant afford it, but this still does not make one immune from identiy theft,

all it takes is a bad previos employer that took your info from your files

Haha, credit... If i can't pay for it in cash, i dont need it. I do have one credit card, for emergencies only. Never used it, pay a super small fee. Its in case we get attacked by zombies.

All the good financial habits don't mean squat when you have collections agencies calling you at any hour, including at work (which is illegal) over a loan that wasn't yours to begin with.

Ask me how I know. And to make it even weirder, NONE of this was on my credit reports. The only silver lining is because it wasn't on the credit report, I didn't have problems when applying for a home loan. But the hassle is still there.

Don't bother with life-lock. the SSN that the CEO uses in all the adds isn't actually his, and its been stolen multiple times, as well as his real SSN. He's been in court since he started that add campaign.

All the good financial habits don't mean squat when you have collections agencies calling you at any hour, including at work (which is illegal) over a loan that wasn't yours to begin with.

Ask me how I know. And to make it even weirder, NONE of this was on my credit reports. The only silver lining is because it wasn't on the credit report, I didn't have problems when applying for a home loan. But the hassle is still there.

With 15 years working in financial institutions before my present life I suggest this.

Any place you have credit with can check for you to see if any inquiries have been made. Also, running a credit check for yourself will also show any inquiries.

You've for sure been told a lot, and the notices to the reporting agencies are a required early step.

It will take many months of vigilance, as there is a market for credit info, and many times a checkbook for instance will be sold numerous times.

In general, Credit Unions as places to conduct business have numerous advantages. Beyond saving you significant $, and keeping your money in your own community, they treat you as a member, not a customer. This is reflected in service.

Lastly, while it is fine to give testimonials about how we avoid any credit and live with only cash transactions, many of us don't live with only cash. Credit and such has numerous advantages as well. And it's not much fun kicking anyone who has the blues.

Good Luck.

this is a little old but I'm looking for a kind of old thread so yea...

I did taxes for a few years and it's really really easy to type a number in wrong on accident, especially when someone just had a kid and your adding a dependent. Or the person could tell you the wrong number. It was very likely just a mistake. I've seen it happen a few times. I still be cautious just in case, but it was likely an accident.