Shot in the Dark.

spitznoz

Hello Folks What is up, My name is Victor and I am a nub on dimes I have some general experience when it comes to cars but not a lot so i need my cherry broken :lol: I live in Southern California and i have had my dime for 5 months now but I have wanted one for about 3 years. To get to the point drove to San Francisco bay area to visit my girlfriend right after the datsun eagle rock swap meet , while i was there i looked on craigslist for parts for my datsun because i really didnt buy anything at the swap meet, I came across an ad for a VG30e motor being sold because the seller needed space in his storage unit. The story was he bought his dime with the motor and trans included but not mounted, he didn't use it because he had a fresh l20 prepped up for it. He didnt have the transmission because he sold it before i got to it. I got the motor for 40 dollars he told me he was being kicked out of his place and was going to move in to the unit he just wanted the motor gone he, he even gave me a set of really clean bumpers that were cleaner than the one i bought for 50 bucks i shoulda just waited. the reason I'm posting this is because i need advice what should i look for on this motor to try and figure out if its a huge paper weight or the deal of the years. I've already made my money back with the bumper set so the motor is basically free. I've wanted to do a ka swap and i thought why not go big when i saw the ad. Advice and opinions are greatly appreciated i got pictures for you folks thanks. sorry for the long thread if this is not at the right place sorry and please move it thank you. :o

motor

IMAG0026.jpg

motor

IMAG0023.jpg

Sweeet bumper

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man that thing is so clean, i would just run an L series in it and enjoy it.

I saw your video on youtube, Im not gonna murder the car im not really gonna rush it i will leave my l16 in there for as long as i can while im working the the motor its going to stay clean no worries :lol: if i see a good clean deal on an l20 i dont mind ditching the vg30

I saw your video on youtube, Im not gonna murder the car im not really gonna rush it i will leave my l16 in there for as long as i can while im working the the motor its going to stay clean no worries :lol: if i see a good clean deal on an l20 i dont mind ditching the vg30

my video? Thats Hainz, it was taken off guba, luckily i saved it and posted it on youtube.

Do the VG. get yourself a spare tank, spare drive line, find a tranny (transmission I mean). and make sure you have everything ready. It looks like you'll want the 200sx Plenum. Here's my cousin's VG swap info page. Take the time to rebuild it. Like you said it hasn't cost you anything, put some money into it and it'll mean the world to you.

VG30 swap

• Like 1

it does lul...

Find a nice timing cover, and have it ceramic coated. never have that again!

im wondering were those bits and piece came from pretty good size, Im also thinking if i should continue with this motor or just let it goi prolly need to open her up more

pull the timing cover off and look. rust is weird shit sometimes, ive noticed on blocks where its sat a while, the rust actually grows outwards. It looks like cavitation inside the water pump area. i might be able to find the pictures and show you,ill go look

pull the timing cover off and look. rust is weird shit sometimes, ive noticed on blocks where its sat a while, the rust actually grows outwards. It looks like cavitation inside the water pump area. i might be able to find the pictures and show you,ill go look

ok il do it tomorow

Ok i think the only timing cover it had was that thin sheet of metal covering the timing belts, the water pump cavity is on the block this motor is dirty I already jacked up one of the screw for the egr whats with all the hex bolts why didnt they just use normal heads... drove around in my car today the L16 made me smile i am seriously considering l20 swap if this motor doesn't work out

Spray all the bolts and screws down with some PB blaster(Like WD40 but way better). If you spray this on a day or two before working on it your work will be much easier. Don't worry to much about how dirty the engine is when you take it to the machinist to have it tanked and honed it will come back looking like new. Go ahead and invest in a few good tools.

-Metric tap and die set. The harbor fright one is ok but the tap handle it comes with is total crap. I like the gear wrench one but don't have it yet.

-Bolt out set. The harbor fright ones work ok but the sizes are not that great. They are for large stuff. most of the stuff on these engine is M8 and M6 which is pretty small.

-Drill bit set (Carbide is best) don't get the High Speed Steel stuff from harbor fright. Most bolts break due to work hardening the cheap HSS from Harbor fright will not cut them.

If you break some bolts and can't get them out with this stuff the machinist can get them out for you but he will charge you for it. These tools will also be very helpful when working on the 510 too.

-Dime

Spray all the bolts and screws down with some PB blaster(Like WD40 but way better). If you spray this on a day or two before working on it your work will be much easier. Don't worry to much about how dirty the engine is when you take it to the machinist to have it tanked and honed it will come back looking like new. Go ahead and invest in a few good tools.

-Metric tap and die set. The harbor fright one is ok but the tap handle it comes with is total crap. I like the gear wrench one but don't have it yet.

-Bolt out set. The harbor fright ones work ok but the sizes are not that great. They are for large stuff. most of the stuff on these engine is M8 and M6 which is pretty small.

-Drill bit set (Carbide is best) don't get the High Speed Steel stuff from harbor fright. Most bolts break due to work hardening the cheap HSS from Harbor fright will not cut them.

If you break some bolts and can't get them out with this stuff the machinist can get them out for you but he will charge you for it. These tools will also be very helpful when working on the 510 too.

-Dime

Cool thanks