Need some knowledge and im not sure what to search for

nevada

Hi all,

I think you guys are dead on. the more i thought about it the more complicated it was getting and while it sounds cool i really just want a fun running truck. if i need a dose of speed i can always take a run in my 2002 Z06 corvette. Its got Z in the nomenclature. does that count? lol lol lol

Z06.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayno! come in Wayno!

Ok need some assistance again. i am in search of the L20b as recommended and for some reason i am not having any luck yet around here. I wanted to ask if that engine was used in any other cars from datsun/nissan so i can get an idea of where i can look outside of the bone yards. i sent a note to a guy selling an '82 725 truck to see what engine is in it. i have not heard back as of yet. here is the link to it:

My link

as always,

thanks!

Okay, Mike, how the heck can you tell from that pic? I don't see the speedo mount, trans mount, shifter ears, or anything from your DQ article. :confused:

Pete

Location of the reverse light switch.

Location of the reverse light switch.

and that hes answered hundreds of "what trans is this?" threads just in the past week..... and then had the time to correct something i found and posted that was written by a "dastun trans rebuild guru", lol mike made the guy look like a fool with all the corrections it was awesome

I find out new stuf all the time. I don't know if it's possible to know everything about them. There are things even Nissan doesn't know it did back then too. Every year there is a change over to the next year model and there are left overparts that go on he new ones and after 30-40 years peple have swapped things too. One thing also I have learned is that there are also exceptions to everything.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i have called around to the pic-a-parts places and no joy. i called an engine place recommended by one of the pic-a-parts but they only go back to 1995 on datsun/nissan. so i am having a hard time sourcing an L20B for some reason here in las vegas. most of them ask me what year the truck is. when i tell them they say they dont have anything that old. i tell them im looking for a newer engine and tell them i need an L20B and they dont seem to know what im talking about. so I am not sure if they are just hard to come by here or i am not sure what i should be looking for and from what model, etc. should i be asking by model and year to get the right engine?

thoughts?

Road trip to all (small) wrecking yards. You can call them, but they don't always know what they have. I went to one recently that said they had no Datsuns but had a 720 truck. I found two zx cars and when talking to the guy he remembered a transmission in a shed.... turned out to be from another 280zx 5 speed. If I had phoned he would have just said a 720... maybe. The great finds are the ones you find yourself.

Wayno! come in Wayno!

Ok need some assistance again. i am in search of the L20b as recommended and for some reason i am not having any luck yet around here. I wanted to ask if that engine was used in any other cars from datsun/nissan so i can get an idea of where i can look outside of the bone yards. i sent a note to a guy selling an '82 725 truck to see what engine is in it. i have not heard back as of yet. here is the link to it:

My link

as always,

thanks!

Sorry guy, I don't always remember what topics I post to, I don't go to the engine section very often unless I see a name that I am familiar with. The engine came in a lot of datsun vehicles, but your best bet is a mid 70s datsun 620 pickup. The 1980 datsun 720 PU had a L20b in it, but it has the round exhaust ports, you want the 76ish and earlier square ports, you can actually use a head off of many years prior to 76, maybe 77. I actually use a W53 peant head off a L16 on my L20b blocks with valve modifacations, bigger valves.:) You are going to have to find a datsun freind down there that can help you get threw this, if you cannot find a running engine then your going to have to build one, I personally would not use that L16 block, where exactly do you live? If I do not respond in a timely manner, just send me a personal message, or email me at tmdatsuns@gmail.com wayno

• 5 months later...

You may want to check craigslist in your area. Not sure about Nevada but here in Bay Area, I see Datsun engines all the time..Yeh, you'll hardly see L20b engines in the junkyard, even here where I live, tons of junkyard. I used to see them back in the days but not anymore...good luck with your find..

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

so i still have not got the truck out of the garage. too much going on and i have no place to work on it yet. im thinking of selling it but im not really sure what it is worth. i could use some input on its value. it has a clear nevada title. from what im told its one of 20 that were converted to a 4x4 by some shop in CA back in the day. It looks like a pro conversion but to be honest I have no paper work to back that up. any help is appreciated.

thanks!

i dont know as much as others on the datsun collectors but i just know what they are worth to me...and i wont sell mine for a million dollors, but i also know ONCE I AM DEAD they are still datsuns and worth a max $1,500-$2,000...and thats running and driving...there is 1 or 2 on here that have been restored and every part is brand new which makes them worth more but thats the exception...some on the east coast here thinks that makes them worth more but there nuts too!!!LOL

You have a cool truck, dont let her go to waste...

well? who stole a truck?

Hey nevada, I am a little confused also, the best I can guess is he is talking about who you got the truck from, as you did mention you got it from a gal I beleave, wasn't that info in your thread about the truck? That would be my guess, but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last time either.

hi,

yes that is correct and im pretty sure he called her a whore and a thief by the comment. its odd that someone would jump that conclusion without any more info than i provided. the reality is the court gave him 60 days to move the truck, and the rest of his stuff, or it would become her property. that was two years ago. the guy is a piece of S%^T. it just bugs me when people make ingorant statements like that.