Need a lil advice

Ok, so I can't make up my mind on what engine I should get for my 510. I have a couple of ideas floating around my head and I need a lil help guys.

On to the options:

1) Get another L20

2) Get an L16

3) Ka24de or Ka24e (rather have de)

Now, the idears:

1) Get an L-series engine and be happy with it.

2) Get an L-series engine and enjoy the car until I can afford to get a Ka

3) Just tough it out until I can get a Ka

I know of an L16 and an L20 near me and both can be had for under 200. I can get one, drop it in and drive around with a doofy grin on my face. On the other hand, it looks like I can get a ka24/tranny/ecu for around 600, then have some somebody flip the xmember, along with some other work thats necessary to get it in the car, and drive around with a BIG doofy grin on my face until I can afford to turbo it.

So what say you gentlemen? Opinions, comments, and if necessary questions, are all welcome.

edit: Let's pretend that I have $600 for right now

Thanks,

_John

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say that it all depends on your budget. on my truck, budget is tiny right now, so im rebuilding the L20 and getting by with that till i can get a KA, plus...while its "easy" to put a KA in a 510, its EASIER to put an L20 in. I would advice however, that you put L16 intake and exhaust manifolds on the L20 so it will be "de-smogged". i wish mine was set up like that now!

drop in the l and buy coil overs bigger brakes and tires and a lsd and have a blast driving it then when you get bored of the l save up for a ka get it rebuilt before you put it in. then you will know your car better and have more power and have more fun. thats what i would do/dun except for the ka part:) I have not putt in a ka

Have you added up the price for all the parts?

I haven't priced things out individually but I do know that it's not as easy as just dropping an engine in the car. If I get the KA then yeah it might sit for awhile while I sort things out. But the way the car is right now, I'm currently working on doing the suspension (280zx struts) and brakes (disc in back and upgrade the fronts) and getting the body work done. So it really won't matter if it's running or not, I still have work to do. The assumption on my budget is for right now. After my friend buys my car I'm going to have about 2k to throw at the datsun :)

I would keep saving, motor swaps is where its at! I like the way Hainz's and other L's sound with the dual webers but thats about it :D I would call some engine importers, not the ones that do SR20DET's but the dude's that do standard imported engines. Or even better yet go to there shops. I've been to a few and they always get the wuupss SR or Wups full pulsar GTIR suspension :D My buddy found a non turbo rwd s13 sr for 400 bucks with tranny at one of those places. Since you don't have the money spend the time looking for a good deal.

I had an awesome deal on a ka24e that I missed because the guy hadn't been online on a couple days and I din't have his number :( I've been frequenting a couple forums looking for a deal, but I think a friend of mine is gonna hook me up. He pretty much works at a jy and he said he's gonna hook up a deal on a ka24de with all the wires and sensors and ecu, possibly tranny. We'll see what happens. Worse comes to worse, it'll just continue to sit while I do the bodywork and suspension/brakes.

Thanks guys!

"From: Tom Visel

Date: February 6, 2008 4:29:25 PM PST

To: BLUEBIRDS@BLUEBIRDS.DATSUN510.COM

Subject: Free KA24E engine, DE harness/ECM

If anyone needs a KA24E engine, or KA24DE engine harness and ECM (from two different auto trans 240SXs,) contact me off-list. Package deal: special price today of $0.00. Engine is complete with intake, exhaust, alternator, mount brackets, separator plate, flex plate and torque converter, A/C compressor, distributor, but not the P/S pump. It came from a SR20DET conversion I did for a guy. I will give away the engine w/o the ECM and harness, but not the other way 'round. AFAIR, the engine has about 110K on it, the last 20K by an enthusiast. It did not die, but was removed when the guy had his money saved for the SR transplant. The ECM comes with an unchopped engine harness and (if I recall correctly,) an instrument panel and its harness and a couple of other uncatalogued bits.

Will happily trade for whatever you'd like to offer, as well.

TomV"

got that email yesterday, maybe contact him

sounds like a pretty good deal there! Yeah, swap out for the L and put a KA in. You wont regret the new found power increase/ fun to be had. peace.

looks like problem solved for you!!!

Only if hes not on the west coast, and chances are, he's on the west coast.... With the shipping, I'm probably better off getting one locally.

Once again, thanks guys, you've been extremely helpful.

_John

get it running by dropping in a decent L20 (<$200)

w/ the $400 get the susp/brakes ready for the KA deal you get (free maybe???).

build that KA up correctly and collect parts at the same time.

when the day comes you can do it in few weekends and not have to have been staring at a project on blocks for months or longer.

oops...didnt see where you were located. hey im not on the east coast like you (love your state though, visited last summer) but i know how it feels, all these awesome deals being on the west coast. i still think you should get that decent l16 or l20 and buy parts like hang has suggested. thats kind of the route i am going

If the budget is low go with the L20. Then you can enjoy the car for now. Also I would recomend putting money into handling and brakes before horsepower.

I did a KA24de swap into my 510. I will never do it again in a 510. Simple reason why. The cost is the same weather you go with a built L motor or a KA swap. I dont care what other people say about price, Do it like I did and not hash shit up and you will understand. Other reason why. You will add weight to the car. You take some of the handleing out of it. You can get it back but its more work, and money. I priced it out to have a realiable Z22 that had around 195 hp. Your money is in the head. There are alot of hidden costs in a swap so be prepared, not to mention lots of TIME.

NOTE. I dont drive my dime everyday this is why I would go to a built L motor next time, althogh it sucks more gas. If your going to drive it every day the KA is more suited cause you will add power and have a reliable stock motor. There are many things to think about. Thats why were all here to let you know!

If you do the swap let me know I can help with anything.

P.S. I can modify your crossmember for $200 and not flip it. It has been track tested and street tested. Nismopu and Kiznook can verify. Good Luck!

datsunmotorswap.jpg

If the budget is low go with the L20. Then you can enjoy the car for now. Also I would recomend putting money into handling and brakes before horsepower.

I did a KA24de swap into my 510. I will never do it again in a 510. Simple reason why. The cost is the same weather you go with a built L motor or a KA swap. I dont care what other people say about price, Do it like I did and not hash shit up and you will understand. Other reason why. You will add weight to the car. You take some of the handleing out of it. You can get it back but its more work, and money. I priced it out to have a realiable Z22 that had around 195 hp. Your money is in the head. There are alot of hidden costs in a swap so be prepared, not to mention lots of TIME.

NOTE. I dont drive my dime everyday this is why I would go to a built L motor next time, althogh it sucks more gas. If your going to drive it every day the KA is more suited cause you will add power and have a reliable stock motor. There are many things to think about. Thats why were all here to let you know!

If you do the swap let me know I can help with anything.

P.S. I can modify your crossmember for $200 and not flip it. It has been track tested and street tested. Nismopu and Kiznook can verify. Good Luck!

datsunmotorswap.jpg

If I got an L20, itd only be there until I had everything ready for a ka, so I figure I might as well just get the ka. I'm already getting the suspension bits pieced together, because from all the lurking I've done on 510 forums, I learned that it's the area to work on above all else. As for how the car is going to be utilized, it's definitely going to be a daily. Soon as the weather gets good, it's the summer car. RSX will be the 'winter beater'.

As for your modified crossmember, I'm assuming that since you don't flip it, I could still use it for an L series engine if I decided to get rid of the ka someday? My curiosity has been piqued.

Another reason I wanna go ka is because of how abundant they are. Parts are easy to source, all that jazz. Plus, I'd like to one day go turbo :D

Only if hes not on the west coast, and chances are, he's on the west coast.... With the shipping, I'm probably better off getting one locally.

Once again, thanks guys, you've been extremely helpful.

_John

oh sorry man, he just sent another, hes in cali. gluck