2dr Rat, and 4dr daily

So I originally posted a pic of this 4dr in the "cars" section but realised "project" fit the cars much better. So heres some details about these two cars (my 3rd unflared future fj car will not be mentioned).

First off is a 72 two door car that I know 0 history about. I got it for free (from a guy who was going to crush it) it was gutted in every way possible and abandoned. The car is tired to say the least. Looks like its been beat up over the years by every owner in every way. It was flared at some point in it's past but not very well. I took the flares off as well as the half inch of bondo, glued and riveted them back on and am just about finished molding them on. The car looks to have been off the road for a long time and all I want is to see it driving again so plan is stock l16, 5 spd, primer and to drive her.

Second I just bought myself a 4dr. The car was backed into ruining the drivers side fender and bending the bumper and radiator support. The purchase price was 750 bucks. It also has no motor because I took it out for the flared car. In hindsight it was probably a mistake because I want to put a nicer L series in the flared car but we will deal with that once I find an l18 or l20. This 4dr is maroon (originally red) its missing the complete interior (which i have spares of) and the drivers fender (which I also have, orange but its a fender). This 4dr is not a straight car, looks to have a bit of bondo and rust but I dont mind. Its the perfect canidate for a daily driver.

snc001191.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So some progress today, after i dont know how many years the flared car officially moves under its own power and stops! I installed a new clutch slave cylinder, rebuilt clutch master cyl, and rebuilt brake master cyl. I installed a vw radiator I found in my garage a new alternator, new thermostat. Also i've been block sanding the car all week trying to get it ready for paint (just white primer) but the rain keeps delaying the actual spraying. I take some pictures of this car when the sun comes out. The car is still very stripped but its making progress. Besides rats are supposed to be missing a couple pieces right?

Heres a pic of the drivers side taken by my phone so you know its high quality. Ill take good pics tomorrow. This side is ready for primer then of course more blocking. This quarter panel originally had over 3/4 an inch of bondo. I took it down to bare and was amazed at how straight the quarter was under all that bondo. The bondo i have on is very thin in most spots.

snc00121m.jpg

Finally the sun came out i rolled the car outside and sand blasted the roof. I realised how SLOW sand blasting is. Since the pits in the roof are finally down to good metal I can actually spray tomorrow. I will take pictures of the car white tomorrow. Next I need smaller tires and ill finally have a daily 510.

So i sprayed the 510 today 1st coat of primer, now A TON more block sanding, 2nd coat, more block sanding and then the 3rd and final coat. But here is the first coat I see a TON of flaws so im a little ashamed but its only the first coat so bare with me. With paint on i can cut the body line in above the flare.

stnbs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well im a beginner at paint and body, and its only in primer so i can always continue working on it. I also picked up some new wheels so i bolted them on, i love the wheels but the width and offset is garbage for a flared car so they will end up on my stock bodied 2dr. Anyway here is a pic, the bodywork isnt perfect but im just happy to see the car one color.

datsun510001.jpg

Thanks fisch actually enkei silver star 2 i think is what i read on the back. I got them for a couple hundred bucks off craigslist and really like them so i figure ill powdercoat them and save them for my unflared car.

Speaking of fisch, i liked your bomber inspired 510 so much but i cant put an american style bomber paint on my car so instead im making it look like a zero.

Thanks for the comment 510keeper. This is my first car that i did bodywork on(had no help just..went at it), basically i took it down to bare metal, did the major bodywork, then put a light primer coat on, with black streaks, continued to block and fill what needed to be filled. Then i did a 2nd coat and blocked more, then what was supposed to be a final coat but wasnt happy with the quarters. I lost my job so lack of funds prevented me from doing a final paintjob. I need new fenders, i need the radiator support removed and replaced and the valence needs to be replaced. The drivers door is so rusted that the skin is peeling off (off a different car, just a temporary, it was straight and i didnt know how to fix the major damage on the old door). Before these parts are replaced there is no reason putting a nice paintjob on the car. This is my daily 510, im not going to worry about paint. Im restoring a different 510 that one will get a real paint job. This one will be my used and abused car. For my first time doing the bodywork (ignoring the fenders) i am really excited how it turned out. Im very picky about body and paint normally which is why i wanted to try it myself just for the experience.

• 6 months later...

So the cars been on the road for a bit with the stock l16 and 4 spd. A few days ago the l16 stopped reving up, it idles great but will not rev. Instead of trying to fix it i decided it was time to put something fuel injected in the car. A friend gave me a ka24e for free so i think thats the one ill install haha.

Last day with l16

datsun510pic.png

Pulled and looking like it needs a ka (forgive the engine bay, it is supposed to be a rat)

510nomotor.png

Whats that in my 720

720withka.png

Oh a ka of course

ka24e.png

Crossmember flipped and ready for install

crossmemberweld.png

I actually dont know anything about the maroon car. I got it in the shape you see in the pics and ended up getting rid of it without touching it. I wish I had not though because the guy parted it out and now it no longer exists...stupid me. It wouldnt suprise me if it was not a CA car though as it had more rust than any of my previous CA 510's