2dr Rat, and 4dr daily

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heck yeah sohc ka's are way to go in the world of super cheap (240 guys give these away...literally) efi nissan 4cyls that are easy to drop into a 510....pretty specific demands for a motor now that I re-read it :D. Do you have a build thread H5? I'm on a phone right now but ill check it out on my computer tomorrow if you do. My swap is going to be real basic and bare bones to get it running.

Since it was my birthday today I used it do what I wanted. I ignored my phone and any other distractions and put my ka in! I decided to forget making the engine bay pretty. If I ever restore the car I need to replace the core support anyway so im using that as an excuse to ignore the condition its in and just install my motor. Installation went really smooth considering it was just me. I did manage to drop my ratchet it tagged my brake master cyl cracking it....oh well. Anyway it was dark and my lighting was CRAP but here is a pic of it sitting in the engine bay.

kain510.png

Ok got the shifter hole cut and the trans mount in so the motor is at the correct angle. Went a little nuts with a spray can lol, looks as bad in person as it does in the pics hahah. I got a good front clip from a 510 so once I go to install the core support ill sandblast and paint the engine bay like it deserves but for now this will do. QUESTION, is the spline(?) on the ka and the 510 trans the same? Im basically asking do I need to combine a 510 shaft and a 240sx shaft or just shorten the 510 shaft (this sentence has shaft in it too many times)

datsun510kanewest.png

Went to the junkyard today and picked up a few pieces i needed to get closer to completing my swap. It happened to be 50% off day so for the 4 parts i bought i spent $4 for a coil, $6 for 240sx pedal, %6 for throttle cable, and $15 for a maf overall not bad. I installed the 240sx pedal and cable into the 510.

Im still looking for a wiring harness if anyone has one please pm me! I also am going to drop my driveshaft off to be shortened and hopefully have it back by monday. Im hopeing to have it running and daily driveable by next

Test fit my radiator (just one i had laying around, no idea what it was to. brand is "be cool") into the rat, it was originally touching the crank pulley. Now its close fit (but works!). I had to notch the bottom a bit but it fits. heres a clearance pic and then just a top pic. Im going to swap the inlet to the passenger side this week before I actually "install" it. Man this car is getting me all excited to work on my "nice" 510.

kawithrad.png

radiatorclearance.png

Thank you very much for your kind words but on this particular car I will never be down the rabbit hole. I still have under 1k into this car and I do not ever plan to do a proper restoration. I guess I shouldnt say never, IF one day GOOD quality FULL replacement quarter panels become available then I will consider restoring this car. The passenger quarter panel is ruined (I hid it with bondo and countless hours of block sanding). The car that will get the rust repair is my other 2dr. This car is nothing compaired to what your doing man, seriously keep up the great work!

The car is wired up and everything is acting as it should! It wont start it because i have not installed a fuel pump yet but it cranks. I ran the new fuel line but no pump. Im going to go to the junkyard tomorrow and pull a pump (inline) from something. If that doesnt work im going to use an old pump I have from when I replaced my fuel tank in my crx. Ive been lazy on dropping the driveshaft off at the shop despite it being in the back of my car for the past week.

Left to do:

Switch inlet on radiator

Drop driveshaft off

Come up with an intake

Get a downpipe

Install fuel pump

MAKE SURE THIS B*TCH IS READY FOR MY 2000 MILE ROADTRIP (this month)!

Your almost there.....:cool: I bought a Volvo pump from the wrecking yard. Not in yet....need to do my fuel lines.:unsure:

When is your trip? If you have time, I'd love to see your car when your up this way.

GET IT DONE! :hyper:

My trip starts whenever this bad boy is done. Im moving to boise idaho and I am too stubborn to tow it or have it shipped. So i decied to make good ole 510 road trip out of the normally 1000 mile trip and visit a few places and some old friends. Id love to stop by a fellow 510 owners house and meet up. Ive already talked about possibly stopping to visit another 510 owner in southern oregon. Just a warning my car is pretty much a bucket lol. Anyway you happen to know what year volvo you got your pump out of?

My trip starts whenever this bad boy is done. Im moving to boise idaho and I am too stubborn to tow it or have it shipped. So i decied to make good ole 510 road trip out of the normally 1000 mile trip and visit a few places and some old friends. Id love to stop by a fellow 510 owners house and meet up. Ive already talked about possibly stopping to visit another 510 owner in southern oregon. Just a warning my car is pretty much a bucket lol. Anyway you happen to know what year volvo you got your pump out of?

let me know if you go to h5wagons house, ill bring my ka'd 510 for a visit!!

So I painted some pink on my 510 today. Its in honor of breast cancer awareness. My sister got diagnosed with stage 4 a couple months ago. Im going to have someone pin stripe the edges because the masking tape I used sucked. I also dropped my driveshaft off at the shop today to get shortened AND sourced a downpipe and shifter so basically my swap is complete minus an intake.

pink510.png

Oh and please forgive the painted muffler... I forgot to mask it and havent had time to strip the paint off but i will definately make time now that i noticed it (after ignoring it for months) lol....and the crooked emblem its not actually stuck on i just found it in my shed and its missing two nipples i just popped the center one in to see how it looked and must have bumped it during masking.

So i went to a dyno day today with a friends car club, lowest hp car there made 657whp... I couldnt help but want boost so when i got home i pulled my "turbo crap" container out of the shed to see what i still had. Besides a manifold, intercooler and piping i have almost everything needed to put a turbo on my 510. Im going to have to sell my wastegate and buy a smaller one as 200-230whp doesnt require an hks gt62mm wastegate lol. This will be a ways down the road because first i want to get the 510 up to boise. But i so far i have

T3 td04 garrett journal bearing (not ideal but its what i have oh well)

Hks gt62mm (going to sell and buy a smaller tial)

Greddy type r bov

Aem EMS (probably will run a reflashed jim wolf ecu though)

Sti injectors (and resistors)

I found misc oil lines i can use for feed and return