5speed swap

NWOleman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The dogleg goes in with the least amount of fuss. In a 710, it should be fairly bolt-in, though I was looking at my 63L 4-speeds (which is what the 710 has) and my doglegs and the trans mount pads aren't in the same place so it might take some massaging of the mount/crossmember.

Everything else needs a crossmember plus a shortened driveshaft and floor mods (for the relocated shifter), as all other L-series 5-speeds are longer than the original.

thanks guys. so the one outta the 200sx will bolt in without cutting the driveline? yeah i will probably just stick with the 4speed for now but was curious. was figuring on pulling the motor so just checking out my options. what should i do to the 4speed while i have it out? replace the seals?

yeah the 200sx doesn't need a new drive line. Honestly, tho. If you are going to take the time to do the swap, get the 280ZX trans. Its much stronger than a dogleg. For the 280zx, you will need to shorten driveline, mod the crossmember still, and then move the hole for the shifter back just a little bit.

Wait a minute, wait a minute! You need to jack up your goon and measure the length of the 4-speed that's in there. Measure from front of bell housing to rear of casting where the tailshaft pokes out. It should be either about 26" or about 31" (kind of hard to get an accurate measurement under there). I don't know about a 710 goon, but I pulled a 4-speed out of a 610 4-door and it was a long tail (31"), not the same as '72 and older 510 (They used a short tail 26" 4-speed). The 77-79 dogleg is a short tail (26"), so it bolts into a 510 without needing a driveshaft mod. But if your 710 has a long tail 4-speed, you don't want a dogleg, you want a 5-speed from a 280, Maxima, 620, or L-motor 720. But, you need to measure and find out what length you have. Maybe the 710 4-speed went back to the 26" length. I don't actually know. And please post what length you have, so I know what a 710 has. I'm getting 610/710 fever really bad here lately.

Len

610s had long-tail F4W63 transmissions, 710s had short-tail F4W63L transmissions. Slightly different, but the long-tail 63-series was only used on the 610 as far as I can find. Mainly because the 610 was a continuation of the Bluebird line (hence the IRS and older style transmission) whereas the 710 was the first of the new "Violet" line, which was a somewhat less expensive (to make) version of the same basic car.

610s had long-tail F4W63 transmissions, 710s had short-tail F4W63L transmissions. Slightly different, but the long-tail 63-series was only used on the 610 as far as I can find. Mainly because the 610 was a continuation of the Bluebird line (hence the IRS and older style transmission) whereas the 710 was the first of the new "Violet" line, which was a somewhat less expensive (to make) version of the same basic car.

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. So NWOleman does need a dogleg, if he doesn't want to whack his driveshaft. And I probably want a 610, not a 710, cause I have a long-tail 5-speed to go in it. I agree with Hainz the EE X-member will save a lot of time, but do they make them for 610/710s?

Len

A FS5W63A dogleg will drop in but I would get a 280zx five speed. Yes they are about 5-6" longer but there is a way to eliminate shortening the goon drive shaft. This will also work when replacing the 710 short 4 speed with a long tail 5 speed.(or had better work because I plan to do this)

A FS5W63A dogleg will drop in but I would get a 280zx five speed. Yes they are about 5-6" longer but there is a way to eliminate shortening the goon drive shaft. This will also work when replacing the 710 short 4 speed with a long tail 5 speed.(or had better work because I plan to do this)

Get a long tail five speed and the drive shaft from a 510 sedan... no shortening needed. I'm told they are within 1/2" of perfect length needed,

my bad, i didn't clarify. it would be for my 510. the 610 and 710's are gone.

Actually the confusion worked well for me. I learned 710s use a short tail tranny. Something I was uncertain of.

But for your original question, it sounds like you can use either a dogleg with 510 goon driveshaft, or a long tail from 280, etc. with a 510 sedan driveshaft. It might be a matter if whichever you find more easily, although the dogleg isn't as strong as the long tails, and has what many people consider a weird shift pattern. That may drive you crazy. So you might lean toward a long tail, if you can also find a sedan driveshaft.

Len

I have an auto and a 4 speed 710 and they are also different lengths. The 4 speed is short and the auto long. The difference is (I hope) the fifference between a short 4 speed and a long 5 speed. 280z 5 speed goon FTMFW!!!

so does that mean a 280zx auto should fit in jessis wagon?