help me choose the right GC spring rate

b210in

from reading all of the related threads about springs rates and suspensions, i am leaning towards a ground control coil over kit with 250 lb spring rate for my b 210.

the car already has the 280zx strut and brake conversion, with kyb strut inserts. my car also has a ca18det with five speed, no a/c, no front bumper, and the battery is in the rear hatch area. i don't really auto-cross the car. i do enjoy drifting it once in while. i drive the car aggressively on twisty roads. the car will see the drag strip as well. the car is driven on a daily basis from my house to work. i don't mind a bit of a stiff ride. i like having my car low.

am i making the right decision on the spring rate? which way would you go?? and what spring rate would you choose.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my 510 VG33 project, I will be running 200 Pound GC springs up front. I have ridden in cars with 250 Pound springs and 300 pound springs and they seem to stiff for me. I will mostly use my car on the street with aggressive fun times in the twisties.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the 210 & 510 are similar in weight. I started with 250lb up front and 400lb in the back (coil overs), and for day to day use it was waaay to stiff. a real kidney crusher. I called GC and ordered a set of 175lb for the front and moved the 250lb to the rear, even though it is still a bit harsh it greatly improved the drivablity. now I haven't done this yet but the 280zx is a heavyer car and the strut inserts are valved for such, I recommend an adjustable front strut (shock). When I do that I may drop to a 150lb up front. keep in mined that the stock front spring rate for a 510 was 87lb.

To be honest from reading your post I would get a rate that is not too stiff or maybe just a tad stiffer than what ground control offers. what you should consider even though costly is buying ers springs to swap out for different conditions of driving. there is no set rate that will always work for all around. takes a bit of time and experience to find out what you like. I went through this on many cars. I used to have a lot of springs lying around to try out or set up a car. just remember too stiff can also hurt you also

It depends on what inserts you are using ....... ... the cheap Tokico's do not like to be "over-sprung" ....... and will not last long with a higher spring rate

Tokico shocks will work great with #200 front springs ........ but I wanted my 510 really low.... so I got #225 springs with $375 Koni yellows

Troy Ermish reccomended #200 springs for a street car....... . and says that the Tokicos will not like #225 springs,,, but will be fine for #200 springs

I'm guessing the 210 & 510 are similar in weight. I started with 250lb up front and 400lb in the back (coil overs), and for day to day use it was waaay to stiff. a real kidney crusher. I called GC and ordered a set of 175lb for the front and moved the 250lb to the rear, even though it is still a bit harsh it greatly improved the drivablity. now I haven't done this yet but the 280zx is a heavyer car and the strut inserts are valved for such, I recommend an adjustable front strut (shock). When I do that I may drop to a 150lb up front. keep in mined that the stock front spring rate for a 510 was 87lb.

Why are you running higher rates in the back? The outboard shock mount would lend itself to a lower rate, or are you making up for lack of a rear anti-roll bar?

Why are you running higher rates in the back? The outboard shock mount would lend itself to a lower rate, or are you making up for lack of a rear anti-roll bar?

From what I've heard....... #200 is ideal for rear coilovers .......... .. any more and you risk lifting the inside tire during hard cornering

the rear coilovers had the 400lb spring on them when I got them, so moving the 250lb to the back was because its all I had on hand at the time and I was focusing on the front mainly. I do have a rear sway bar but I was waiting until I had all the parts to do the sway bar, disk brakes, CV's and LSD at the same time. but to be honest, I didn't know the front and rear rates should be that similar. I guess I'll have to put new springs on my list as well.

the rear coilovers had the 400lb spring on them when I got them, so moving the 250lb to the back was because its all I had on hand at the time and I was focusing on the front mainly. I do have a rear sway bar but I was waiting until I had all the parts to do the sway bar, disk brakes, CV's and LSD at the same time. but to be honest, I didn't know the front and rear rates should be that similar. I guess I'll have to put new springs on my list as well.

Can you put the 250# on the front and the 175# on the rear?

Because you likely have less weight over the rear than you do at the front, and the outboard shock mount on the rear arms means you would use a lower spring rate than you might at the front for the same amount of force at the wheel.

I cant explain why, and maybe some one else can but I think that theory has some holes in it.

thanks everybody for highjacking my thread, lol. lets get back to my car. the reason i said 250 was because of the extra weight i put in the front do to the engine swap and 280zx brakes and struts. the ca is heavier than the a series it replaced. i think that if i were to still have the a series, then i would go for a 200 pound spring. am i making the correct assumption?

i did not know that troy recommends a 200 pound spring for the street. if this is his recommendation, i inclined to believe it.

go with a 250# rate. all these guys are wimps.

DD with 450# rate all around :B

now are you guys talking about the coilovers mounted on the shocks on the rear? because I always thought the 510 guys run stiffer in the rear because of where the stock spring is located...

also, I had my 450# springs on my Tokcico blues for about 4 months. didn't blow the shocks, but it rode like shit lol

go with a 250# rate. all these guys are wimps.

DD with 450# rate all around :B

now are you guys talking about the coilovers mounted on the shocks on the rear? because I always thought the 510 guys run stiffer in the rear because of where the stock spring is located...

also, I had my 450# springs on my Tokcico blues for about 4 months. didn't blow the shocks, but it rode like shit lol

Be careful who you take advice from. Look at their cars and previous posts before you decide who you want to take suggestions from.

Just Saying,

• Like 1

you will be fine with the 250# front springs with the CA I run a 350# front spring and somewhere between 250 and 300 in the rear depending on track surface but the car is not set up for DD its more for autocrossing I have commuted in it and with the front shocks set on full soft it rides comfortable MOST of the time its the shocks or shock valving that makes for a harsh/firm ride not the springs...

i got all of my parts on friday. i went ahead and ordered a pair of bump steer spaces or roll center adjusters from tech toy tuning. I installed everything on saturday night.

man, i'm glad that i orderded the 250 pound kit. the 200 pound kit would have been way to soft for me. if anything, they could be a tad stiffer, maybe 300 would have been perfect. the car rides excellent. once i get my custom rear springs done, the suspension will be riding good.

the bump steer spaces made a world of difference with the steering. man what a major improvement. the steering use to feel like it wanted to do what it wanted to do, especially on bumpy surfaces. no more. also when i use to slam of the brakes it would feel wierd, that feeling is also gone.

thanks anybody for your input. i got the coil overs set on the lowest setting and man does the car look mean. this was a perfect way to spend 324 bucks.

i got the coil overs set on the lowest setting and man does the car look mean. this was a perfect way to spend 324 bucks.

Make sure you have enough shock shaft showing to make sure your not going to be bottoming the shock out... typically about 2.5"-3" of compression is good.

oh.... you say it looks mean well where the hell are the pictures because I wanna see :cool:

Clayton

for those of you thinking about getting bump steer spacers, get them!!!!!!!!!!!

they make a world of difference on the highway and the way it drives. i got a chance to take my bee up to 85 and the vibration it use to suffer from is gone. the only thing that was changed here was the bumps teer spacers and the coil overs. boy do they make a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Great info. I think this is all relevant to my build on my 510. Would you say if the 250s are good for the b210 then would 200s be good for the lighter 510? Does that assumption hold water?

Does going light ever result in bottoming out? I live in New England and we dont always benefit from perfectly smooth cali roads :)

• 4 weeks later...