help me choose the right GC spring rate

b210in

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you likely have less weight over the rear than you do at the front, and the outboard shock mount on the rear arms means you would use a lower spring rate than you might at the front for the same amount of force at the wheel.

In a way, you're right, but I think that logic applies more to the 510 and less to the B210. The B210 has a straight-axle rear, making the suspension geometry very different from the front, so you can't really decide spring rates by comparing motion ratios.

It seems to me like everyone who has tried coil-overs in their Datsun is using stiffer springs in the rear than in the front. With several decades of people driving Datsuns, it looks like that's what they decided on to get their cars to handle the way they want.

This is a partly a matter of personal taste, of course. A conservative driver could fear "more oversteer", when it's someone else's idea of "less understeer".

With stock spring rates and a stock alignment, my B310 wagon would plow the front tires pretty hard on an autocross course. One event, and it could make brand new tires look like s***, even if I had pumped them up to 40psi or more. My big suspension modification (until dismantled by a ham-fisted mechanic) was a rear swaybar. The swaybar made a big improvement in handling, saved me some tire wear on race day, and didn't hurt the ride.

I think the Nismo rear bushings made it a little more tail-happy (Yayyy!), but also made the car ride really rough (Booo!).

So, here's a ride-related question for the crowd: I think the new(ish) bushings must be binding, so what can I do about it?

Are they supposed to be lubricated with grease or something? Since they're pressed into the control arms, is it too late to lube them?

If I take the control arms off without removing the bushings, and grease the hole in the middle, do y'all think that would solve the problem?

Or, at least make the ride suck less? :(

i got all of my parts on friday. i went ahead and ordered a pair of bump steer spaces or roll center adjusters from tech toy tuning. I installed everything on saturday night.

man, i'm glad that i orderded the 250 pound kit. the 200 pound kit would have been way to soft for me. if anything, they could be a tad stiffer, maybe 300 would have been perfect. the car rides excellent. once i get my custom rear springs done, the suspension will be riding good.

the bump steer spaces made a world of difference with the steering. man what a major improvement. the steering use to feel like it wanted to do what it wanted to do, especially on bumpy surfaces. no more. also when i use to slam of the brakes it would feel wierd, that feeling is also gone.

thanks anybody for your input. i got the coil overs set on the lowest setting and man does the car look mean. this was a perfect way to spend 324 bucks.

OICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN... LOL!!!!! :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

wow, i totally forgot about this thread. oics it is then. also.

to datsunpilot, when i spoke to the dudes at ground control, they were first trying to get me to buy the 200 lb spring. as soon as i told them about the ca18det swap, they changed their tune to the 250 lb spring.

i think you should consider that the 510 is slightly heavier with the L series engine and how low you want to ride, these two factors should be taken into account when you choose your spring rate. i have my coilovers on the lowest setting. if i were to have chosen the 200 lb springs and left them at this setting, i think i could have easily bottomed out the car. (where i live the streets are pretty shitty as well) some dudes swear up and down that 250 is too stiff and some swear up and down that its too light. i think in order for me to be completely satisfied i need to step up to the 300 pound springs, which will put my 250lb springs up for sale soon.

from reading all of the related threads about springs rates and suspensions, i am leaning towards a ground control coil over kit with 250 lb spring rate for my b 210.

the car already has the 280zx strut and brake conversion, with kyb strut inserts. my car also has a ca18det with five speed, no a/c, no front bumper, and the battery is in the rear hatch area. i don't really auto-cross the car. i do enjoy drifting it once in while. i drive the car aggressively on twisty roads. the car will see the drag strip as well. the car is driven on a daily basis from my house to work. i don't mind a bit of a stiff ride. i like having my car low.

am i making the right decision on the spring rate? which way would you go?? and what spring rate would you choose.

The road racer's rule of thumb is: Rough road= soft springs & stiff sway bars. Smooth road= stiff springs & soft sway bars.

Shocks for your style valved at or near 50/50. Cushy, gurly rides (no offense, ladies) are around 30/70 or so to allow fast bump compression. Swapping in 90/10's for draggin in the front only to allow fast weight transfer isn't on my "fun things to do on Friday nite" list~ the hastle of struts. Are they low or high pressure KYB's? You'd be best off with the highs, as even low pressure gas shocks may not reach boilpoint temps per se, but on extended 'runs" they will soften up. IMO high pressure KYB's and Konis are the best budget (relative) shocks you can buy for the street.

I live in New England and we dont always benefit from perfectly smooth cali roads :)

A common misconception by "out-of-towners" is that we're laced with 8 lane superspeedways out here! Not to sound like I'm pickin on you~ but I'm sure you got a chuckle from all the west-coasters that are anywhere near State rte 99, or the rural parts of US 101. Being born -n- raised in NorCal, I can tell you that there are places where you can venture off major routes by only a few miles, and get your @$$ lost~ and I've personally seen MANY Oregon gravel roads that put the majority of paved roads here to shame! Even my driveway's flatter than the road to get here....

Peace~

Scott

• 1 month later...

wow, i totally forgot about this thread. oics it is then. also.

to datsunpilot, when i spoke to the dudes at ground control, they were first trying to get me to buy the 200 lb spring. as soon as i told them about the ca18det swap, they changed their tune to the 250 lb spring.

i think you should consider that the 510 is slightly heavier with the L series engine and how low you want to ride, these two factors should be taken into account when you choose your spring rate. i have my coilovers on the lowest setting. if i were to have chosen the 200 lb springs and left them at this setting, i think i could have easily bottomed out the car. (where i live the streets are pretty shitty as well) some dudes swear up and down that 250 is too stiff and some swear up and down that its too light. i think in order for me to be completely satisfied i need to step up to the 300 pound springs, which will put my 250lb springs up for sale soon.

hey i know not to many people work on b210 or b110 i make parts for 510 and z cars and trucks my friend has a b210 and i just finish making the a arms tc rods adjustable like the 510 also the bump steer spacers not to pay $150 for the ones from japan my spacers are only $50.00 for clean aluminum or $60.00 for red or black anodize look up my parts on ebay under 510 adjustable a arms