d21 gearbox

hi people ,,,im new to this,,so i apologise,,,,and i'm english to !!! really after some help PLEASE !! i have just bought a 1996 d21 2.7 4x4 with a knackered gearbox,,no reverse,bearing has chattered through casing,,,it is a FSW 71C,,,,what i would like is if somebody could tell me if or what i can buy from a breakers to put straight in ,im doing it on the floor on grass so the less grief the better,,,will a terrano 2.7 just go straight in cheers

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

hi people ,,,im new to this,,so i apologise,,,,and i'm english to !!! really after some help PLEASE !! i have just bought a 1996 d21 2.7 4x4 with a knackered gearbox,,no reverse,bearing has chattered through casing,,,it is a FSW 71C,,,,what i would like is if somebody could tell me if or what i can buy from a breakers to put straight in ,im doing it on the floor on grass so the less grief the better,,,will a terrano 2.7 just go straight in cheers

Uhhhh,I can't understand 2/3rds of what you said but,I suggest #1 find a Compatable parts truck and swap trans.

Getting the trans/transfer case out is a 5-7 hour job at a shop. You're in for a treat. Best on a lift so you can remove the torsion bars. We don't have any 2.7 diesels stateside, I would be the trans is different than the 4 cyl and 6 cyl here, but don't know that for sure. I do know the 6 cylinder has a 30? count input spline shaft whereas the 4 cyl has a 27 or something input. Check with a wrecking yard there to see if the VG is compatible with the diesel models. Don't even know what a Terrano is. Guessing we didn't get that model here either.

The '96 only had a KA24E or VG30 motor there was no 2.7 liter. To get an exact replacement you need to identify exactly what you have. Look on the passenger side inner fender below the hood hinge. There should be a credit card sized aluminum tag with this info on it. The old D21 had it there and I imagine the newer ones do too.

It should look similar to this one...

720stuff061Small.jpg

Engine and trans are clearly marked. This one is a VG30E the transmission is directly below. Your transmission is an FS5W71C but more than that. It also has an integral transfer case.

....and now I see you are in England so throw out all that except the info on the plate. Find that to identify exactly what you have. We didn't get, nor have I heard of a 2.7 motor here in N Am.

Since the transmission case is damaged you'll need an entire replacement. I don't know what models you had over there, but anything with the TD diesel engine from 1986-on will probably have what you need. Unfortunately that kind of sounds like it'd be another D21, or a WD21 (Pathfinder/Terrano) of similar vintage. Only thing else that had that engine in Europe was the Nissan UD lorry, but I suspect the transmission would be way different.

It would be a royal pain but could the bearing "chatter through" be repaired with an appropriately sized press in sleeve? This might save the bearing recess and whatever the British Isles equivalent of JB Weld, or a weld job by someone who knows what he is doing, might save the rest of the case. Agree that a complete replacement is preferable but sometimes your are stuck with fixing what you have.