Model Cars (Japan magazine) Datsun 510 photo shoot/drive Saturday, 1/29/11 Torrance, CA

jun

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! :D We're going to have a nice wagon showing! Missing a few wagon colors though, namely a bright yellow one. I'm planning on contacting Koji in the next day or so to invite him, if any of you talk to him beforehand, do let him know about our little event.

Updated list of confirmed attendees.

Jun

Adam

Datrod

72Dyme

Duncan

BRE510

Hang 510

Goki

Lovely_Crucial71

Also, I went out and drove our route this afternoon, just to make sure of the flow and make note of any potholes from the recent rains. Being PV, I don't think they let potholes stick around too long, haha. Anyhow, I wanted to make note of where the double and triple lane sections were, since these are the areas where we're going to be doing our moving shots. Our entire stretch of Hawthorne Blvd is 2-3 lanes wide and pretty scenic, so this will be a great time to get those shots. Once we move deeper into PV, it's single lane, so just enjoy the cruise.

5379144447_82696cae10.jpg

I am trying to figure out any points where we can stop and regroup/adjust/etc if need be. There isn't much space to park 10+ cars traveling in a caravan, so we'll have to plan accordingly. This spot may be our first stop before going on to the switchbacks.

5379746936_02060064f8.jpg

The road will become a single lane after that for most of the drive. Note that at one point, there is a pretty steep drop and it gets a little bumpy after that, but nothing that will mangle polished lips or take out any crossmembers and BRE airdams. We'll crawl through that area to make sure everyone gets through ok. I don't think anyone is slammed enough to have any problems...maybe Carlos, but you've got air ride right! :P

5379145765_e340edc896.jpg

We will make a LEFT here, onto PV Drive East. Fun starts here :lol:

5379748152_9ece29fa39.jpg

But please take note of this, as this will be the typical situation on a weekend morning. Share the road! As I mentioned, I'll be there the next morning doing the same thing on my bike...

5379146649_720a56f024_z.jpg

After we make our way to the top, we'll pass Marymount College off to the right. After you pass this sign, prepare to pull over to the side so we can make sure everyone is together before we descend back down towards Torrance. I was hoping we could park in the college for a bit but it was chained off today :(

5379749578_32369065db_z.jpg

No pics after this...I was too busy gripping the wheel and my wife was hanging on trying to stay in the passenger seat, haha!

The funny thing is, I never enjoy the scenery when I'm riding my road bike on the very same route we're taking. I am always tucked away in a 25-30 mph paceline with a group of riders...the only view I ever get is straight ahead, and unless I'm at the front pulling (very rare), it's a view of another guy's behind. Ugh.

mahaney-paceline2.jpg

Of course, I'm never in that paceline when we start climbing. I fall off the back and gasp my way up those hills...

It will be a fun morning. It was a nice afternoon drive today, although I wasn't in a Datsun...which took some of the fun out of it. I could be going 30 mph in my wagon on those hills, and it feels like a race car. :D

A dozen datto's :o

It's actually a lot, given that we're going to be driving in a caravan. I can see a few hangups here and there...we'll have to plan accordingly.

It's only Tuesday as well. If we get a lot more people on board by end of the week, we might have to make some adjustments to keep things moving!

It's actually a lot, given that we're going to be driving in a caravan. I can see a few hangups here and there...we'll have to plan accordingly.

It's only Tuesday as well. If we get a lot more people on board by end of the week, we might have to make some adjustments to keep things moving!

True, But it's going to be a blast. I hear what your saying it's tough to keep a group of that size all together.

2 days away!

I posted a new link to the first post with the route. Please take the time to go through it if you are not familiar with the area. I'm also posting the link here for those who read the first post already.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4257061

It looks like we will have more cars than the actual confirmed list. Having said that, it will be a BLAST but it will be nearly impossible for all of us to stay together on the drive. Factor in red lights, left turns, and the fact that we will observe all posted speed limits (ok maybe a mile or five over) Please familiarize yourself with the route, and at least be able to make it to point 11 on the route should you fall back for some reason. It's only about 11 miles away from the In-N-Out and will serve as a little regroup area if we want it. We can discuss that morning, before we head off for the drive. It might be a nice place to snap some pics and take in the scenery if you haven't been through here before, it's pretty nice. And also a chance to see more of the Dattos if you arrived a bit late and didn't get to see the cars at In-N-Out. :D After this, it's going to be really hard to pull over a caravan of cars. We may briefly pull over after the switchbacks at Marymount College (between point 16 and 17) if we have to, but I think we can just keep on truckin' back to Torrance.