Ka transmission options.

Woody620

Hey guys, I'm trying to do a ka24e swap into my 1981 corolla (I'm sorry I know it's not a datsun) and I was hoping some guys on here could help me out with an issue. The 240sx tranny that I'm using the shifter is centered at 31-34" away from the front of the bellhousing, which is just way to far back, and it conflicts with the frame and the ebrake. I need to get it preferably between 23-28" away but if I need to I can go 22-30". Are there any optional trannies I can use that would be shorter, maybe just a different shifter/ shifter plate or I used to hear of guys making hybrids with the from half of the ka case (I don't know what the ka tranny is called). Anyways any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a KA it's best to stick with a KA tranny, they're stronger. Yes you could run an '81-'86.5 720 5 speed on a KA without changing anything. There is even one that it 26" long front to back but I don't know the models they are in.

Here's one from a 4X4 ...

83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg

Well the ka tranny WILL NOT WORK. there is no way. Unless the hardbody one is shorter.

There are ways to build the other tranny's to make them stronger too right? I'm used to t50s which are weak anyways.

Also I would not be opposed to a 4speed.

If you have a KA it's best to stick with a KA tranny, they're stronger. Yes you could run an '81-'86.5 720 5 speed on a KA without changing anything. There is even one that it 26" long front to back but I don't know the models they are in.

Here's one from a 4X4 ...

I believe the 26" 720 trannie should be on all 83+ 4x4s....KC or reg cab. The 30.5 will be on all 4x4s prior to 83+ and all 2wd.

Maybe............... :D

Speedo doesnt worry me. Especially if it has a speed sensor.

There is no hole. 4x4s drive the speedo cable from the transfer case so they don't machine out the transmission case used on 4x4 trucks. You would need one from a 2wd truck.

Could someone get me a measurement from the center of the shifter to the bellhousing end?

24.5" plus or minus 1/4"

'81 is that earlier style, lot smaller. Basically like a B11 Sentra combined with a 510. And may I say, very good on getting rid of that nasty Toyota motor and going Datsun! I've always liked the 2nd gen Corollas, but boo on the Toyota motor. Think it came with a pushrod 3TC or something, didn't it? Not a bad motor, but still pushrod crapola.

To be honest I love my 3tc. It's fun and torquey.

It has made me hate carbs though since the factory one is crap.

Plus I wanna have fun in the dry, not just the wet. =)

I've gotten all kinds of responses to this build, from, "that's counter productive, why would you do that?" to supportive ones like above. It's kinda funny.

That's perfect. I'm assuming that's a measurement for a 2wd.

Yes the only difference between the 4X4 and 2wd is the speedo pinion, oh, and the 4x4 has a wider ratio gear set compared to the 2wd.

I've gotten all kinds of responses to this build, from, "that's counter productive, why would you do that?" to supportive ones like above. It's kinda funny.

I have little problem with another maker's motor in a Datsun, and even less with a Nissan motor in another car. Everything should be explored.