whats the difference between a 71 and 712 510??

Agent-Gambit

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to worry about. The 73 has more mentionable changes, like heavier doors if they have the side impact cross beams in them (for whatever reason, my 73 doesn't). Also, the 73 got rear defrost in the states, fiber optic lighted knobs, and some other small changes. Again, nothing major.

The thing is, is that there was what was put on at the factory.... and what was swapped during 40 years of maybe a dozen owners, accidents/body shops, rust, customizing and simple wearing out of parts. No wonder the doors are different, or the dash is wrong, or the wrong struts.

If built after March of '71 and if it is an automatic, it will have the new 3N71B. After June it will only have a floor consul shift, so for 2 months only it will have the new JATCO auto with the old style column shift.

72510autoclamshell.jpg

I'm no genius. I found this while comparing Nissan part numbers. Sadly there are always exceptions to everything. And after 40 years parts get swapped, errors in accounting..... I write stuff down and then can't find it or sometimes I forget the details so I go back to research it yet again. Where possible I collect pictures that help explain things. I do have some collected parts from projects or (maybe) projects and some parts that gave up their lives in the interest of discovering how they worked inside. :)

Were there any exterior visual changes at any time in between 1969 and 1973 for the 510?

There sure was. The front 'arrow' amber marker lights on the fenders changed to the uninspired rectangular shape for '70. Here read this:

http://dimequarterly...bury.guide.html