Going to get struts/brakes off a 280zx today ! !

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if after 12 '80 and turbo equipped get the high volume oil pump and it should have an oil cooler assy on it too. The turbo motor also uses stronger head bolts so grab a set for a 4 cyl. All 280zx have rear disc brakes and 15/16" dual master cylinders. Alternator is 60 amp internally regulated. Even if you don't use these things someone else might.

Well if after 12 '80 and turbo equipped get the high volume oil pump and it should have an oil cooler assy on it too. The turbo motor also uses stronger head bolts so grab a set for a 4 cyl. All 280zx have rear disc brakes and 15/16" dual master cylinders. Alternator is 60 amp internally regulated. Even if you don't use these things someone else might.

Wow, good info. Can we get a sticky thread with info on what to pick off of which cars in the JY? It'd make my trips a lot more successful.

Got'em!

Master cyl was gone and only one rear disc left. The car is a pull-a-part in Arlington, wa if anyone wants anything. They also have a early 80's 210.

They also have a power radio antenna. Not a big item for most people, but if your are into personalizing your ride it's an interesting and cool idea.

All turbo automatics (probably standards too) had an oil cooler.

When I swapped in the turbo engine in my Z, I kept the oil cooler but ran the lines to the oil cooler in front of the radiator. I and automatic parts car so I can confirm that, also mine was an '83. A lot of people take them off and just chuck them. I personally like mine. Make sure to get the part that attaches to the oil filter shown in the picture above. I am pretty sure it will work with L engines, though I have never tried on an L4

For a stock motor it's overkill but has a 'cool factor'. If your motor is modified it never hurts. An oil cooler is a great way to remove excess heat from a motor. Oil doesn't thin as much from the heat and lasts longer.

For a stock motor it's overkill but has a 'cool factor'.

I am all for cool factor, but does it hurt performance on a stock L4 at all? What about oil pressure, and can the pump push the oil through all that extra stuff? Sorry for the noob questions (and somewhat derail from the original post) but this is something I've been wondering, because I have an RX-7 oil cooler sitting on the shelf right now...

The stock pump should have no problem pushing oil through the cooler even an RX-7 one. Although the ZX uses a higher volume pump the pressure is regulated to about the same pressure. No effect on performance as in a loss of power, but the motor will not over heat as easily when pushed. Oil will last longer between changes bcause it won't be subjected to as much heat.