FREE DAN!!!!!!!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Shit'll be down for a while for sure. Just when you think you have EVERYTHING, something comes up and you gotta wait for something. What transmission are you using? You'll need a NAPSZ bell unless you want your motor shifted to one side super dramatic (slant 6 status). 85 and later used a 62mm countershaft bearing, everything before was 52mm so they wont simply just transfer right over if you plan on using an older trans with a new bellhousing. Shifter rod holes ARE in fact the same, contrary to what others may say. That part slides right together. There are always unforeseen variables in a swap that wasnt intended for the donor vehicle. I'd put the whole motor set together in the garage with your trans, bell, new bearings, motor, bolt-ons, etc. THEN plan on slapping it in on a weekend, where all you have to do is mess with mounts to get it in there. Plenty of other things will keep your truck down longer than you planned once you realize all the nit-picky little shit that's needed, and details like feed/return lines and related fuel pump plumbing. Not trying to sound like the end-all final word on KA swaps, just speaking from recent personal experience. It's a pain in the ass and a long road paved with dollar bills (atleast mine has been)

..... everything before was 52mm so they wont simply just transfer right over if you plan on using an older trans with a new bellhousing. Shifter rod holes ARE in fact the same, contrary to what others may say. That part slides right together.

The old front counter shaft bearings are 56mm I believe. As for the shift rod, the two later model 5 speeds I have taken apart have a slightly larger 1st/2nd shift rod. Weather they all do or not doesn't matter as long as people realize they may have to deal with this issue when swapping front cases.