Strange reaction to a violent accident.

In the US if something like this happened what would happen? A few people who are supposed to respond will, maybe a few others will feel compelled to try to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoGAjOfi-AM

But in Bahria the entire crowd runs over to do what? To look at the damage of the car and get video on their phones, all while just walking by dying people.

I just see such a huge disconnect from our culture to theirs...

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't watch the videos, but a friend of mine went to Japan. He said he watched someone get hit by a car, now the person lived. But while he was laying there, nobody was allowed to touch him. If you did, that made you responsible for them/medical costs etc. Maybe something similar there?

I agree with Nismo. The video is a very disturbing.

You are right, Datluv, people seem to be more concerned with the damage to the car than all those human being laying motionless on the ground. Different cultures have different appreciation for human life. Thank God we live in the US!

I didn't watch the videos, but a friend of mine went to Japan. He said he watched someone get hit by a car, now the person lived. But while he was laying there, nobody was allowed to touch him. If you did, that made you responsible for them/medical costs etc. Maybe something similar there?

The law is the same here, if you help and you do something wrong you can be charged (charged with what I don't know) but the reverse is also true, if you have been trained to do CPR (or similar training) You are obligated by law to help a person that is in need of your assistance.

But I watched it again and it doesn't seem as bad, granted we are all told over here to "Back up and make room" when there is an accident as to not hinder personnel that may be more prudential to the situation... and that may not be part of their culture.

It just seems so strange.

I've heard of a couple stories like that here in the US. I.e. someone was shot or something like that, and the people crowded around and took pics and 1 guy even put it up on his twitty. So its not just over there, its here too. dry.gif

I also thought about that, an example would be that old man who was hit by a car and no one went to see if he was ok.

I don't see any differences between this and people who gawk at freeway accidents, etc... in the states. Nothing worse than sitting in a traffic jam only to see the cause of the delay on the opposing side of the freeway. People are interested in shit like this, take the OP for instance. Watching these videos doesn't make you much different from the people who were physically there, only difference is you chose to view it. I'm not saying they didn't choose to run across the street for a better look..... but did you stop watching?

The law is the same here, if you help and you do something wrong you can be charged (charged with what I don't know) but the reverse is also true, if you have been trained to do CPR (or similar training) You are obligated by law to help a person that is in need of your assistance.

Not true. A person trained in CPR is not obligated to perform CPR on an unconscious victim. You are putting yourself in danger by putting your mouth on a strangers that is probably covered in puke, sputum and blood. The obligation to assist comes with a higher level of training.

I don't see any differences between this and people who gawk at freeway accidents, etc... in the states. Nothing worse than sitting in a traffic jam only to see the cause of the delay on the opposing side of the freeway. People are interested in shit like this, take the OP for instance. Watching these videos doesn't make you much different from the people who were physically there, only difference is you chose to view it. I'm not saying they didn't choose to run across the street for a better look..... but did you stop watching?

But there's a difference, there is nothing I (a day later and a world away) could have done.

If I was at the drag strip and there was an accident and someone down the strip was hit by a car would I run to the scene ? NO.

You can try to say we are the same in some aspects but in the over all action these people took, no we are not the same.

Not true. A person trained in CPR is not obligated to perform CPR on an unconscious victim. You are putting yourself in danger by putting your mouth on a strangers that is probably covered in puke, sputum and blood. The obligation to assist comes with a higher level of training.

Thats not what we were told by a health education teacher a few years ago, a teacher who every year has to be recertified. (And she wasn't one who would just say things to hear herself speak, generally if it came from her mouth it was true.)

She told us that, that current year the law had changed and a person newly certified for that year is obligated by law to help a person in need if the situation is within your training. Granted you may not be legally obligated if you don't have a mouth guard to use, but it seems she said that it didn't matter if you had one available or not (because we were kind of shocked)

At work we are certified bi-annually by taking St. John's Ambulance course. The company pays for the 8 hour instruction. In Canada, if we offer assistance to an injured victim, we are protected under the good Samaritan act. This protects the volunteer aid giver from law suit for any real or imagined damages and serves to keep people from being reluctant to help a stranger for fear of legal repercussions if they should make some error in treatment. I hope to God I never find myself on the side of the road in a country where bystanders walk past me because they are afraid of a law suit!!!! How truly fucked is that??? How is the US better than where that video was made?

• Like 1

You can hear the ambulances starting up very soon after the crash. There have been studies done on groups of people witnessing horrific accidents, etc., and just freezing with a dumb milling around mentality. I remember one that was a woman who was raped and murdered in an alley in a big city, and she was seen by probably 20 people. Yet no one called the police because they all assumed someone else had already called the police.

The vast majority of people there looked pretty young, perhaps not many of them knew what to do? I didn't see one person checking pulses or anything though, that is rather odd. Then again, do you think your average young racer crowd has much of an idea on that? I've been through CPR training, I know better than to move the people on the ground unless there's an added danger of burning to death from gasoline leaking, or scrub grass caught on fire.

I see less of a disconnect, and more of a "I don't know what to do" look milling around. Still tragic.

I've taken the CPR class a few times. I also used it once and it worked like a champ!!! I sure was scared though, shit seems so fast when you are actually in a situation of life and death.

Those video's are depressing that's for sure.

Yeah, Washington, and I know a lot of other states (not sure which though) also have Good Samaritan laws for people with CPR/FA training (as well as non-trained people I think). They basically say that you cannot be sued by someone you help for doing what you were trained to do, or what a reasonable person would do.

Let me reiterate that: in most places in the United States (check your local laws to make sure) you CANNOT be sued for providing CPR or First Aid, unless you completely FUBAR it (i.e. giving somebody CPR that is fine and talking to you).

As far as the chest compressions with and without rescue breaths. The breaths were removed for two reasons. They (health professionals) found that two things were happening. People were a lot les likely to give CPR because of the rescue breaths, so by removing them, CPR was much more likely to be given. Second, in (I want to say like) 90% of cases where CPR is needed, the rescue breaths are not needed, and in only a fairly small percentage of cases, getting the rescue breaths does increase the chances of survival for the victim. I do not remember which circumstances are which, or the statistic, but basically, most of the time, people only need compressions.

As far as how the people in this video reacted, versus what Americans would have done. I think it's bullshit to act like it would have been so much better here. The ambulance response would likely have been quicker (as there probably would be one on site), but the general public would have behaved very similarly, people would not have known what to do. Given the better infrastructure here though, I suspect there would have been some people that would have known what to do, and might have started doing stuff, just because I suspect we have more trained people here. Because we have a government that is more restrictive, and requires people to have certain training, or requires companies to have some people trained in their workforce (not sure what all the laws are on this stuff).

It's fucked up shit though, and I hope everybody survived.