L20b matchbox dizzy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im shoping for a working l20b matchbox dizzy.

I payed 75 for one on ebay a few months ago and turns out its crap.

Whats wrong with it? If it spins, then the only thing needing replacement is the matchbox, and you can source it off ANY Datsun with an E12-80 Blackbox module!

Any Datsun from '79 will have the correct E12-80 matchbox. (Good up to the build date noted below* but not after)

'79 and up

1980 720

810 and Maxima before 06'81 *

280zx before 09 '81*

200sx (S10)

200sx (S110 non California) some '80s with four plug head.

210 (B310) all

A10 (HL510)up to 06 '80 with L and Z motor

* the matchbox used on the later 280zx and L24 Maxima have an extra two terminals on the side of the matchbox. These are used with L six cylinder motors with EFI and may have the advance controlled by the ECU. I know of someone who used one and with the correct timing set found that as the motor revved up the ignition would retard up to 20 degrees. How this could be prevented I don't know so avoid the E12-93 modules.

E12-93 module. Note the twp extra terminals (I & W) on the lower right side...

L24Eignition003Large.jpg

I could try that, not sure whats wrong with it. ed told me it was dead. ill hit up some junk yards soon

Yes, I had one NIB that was dead, same scenario, no spark, no current. NOTHING!

I used my JY spare for the guy (here on the forum...), cleaned all of the metal surfaces that the Black Box attaches to, ran an extra ground, held the spark plug wire with plug a ways (like an inch and a half) from the block, and shocked the shit out of myself (rejuvenating, really). Trust me, It WORKED after that!

Im shoping for a working l20b matchbox dizzy.

I payed 75 for one on ebay a few months ago and turns out its crap.

you still on the hunt for one, I'll ask my friend if he wants to sell his.

I could try that, not sure whats wrong with it. ed told me it was dead. ill hit up some junk yards soon

Jes or Kelly? The GM HEI module may be easier to find and slip in a pocket. You can use them in place of the Nissan matchbox untill you find one.

GMHEIconnections.jpg

kiznook has the external style el distributor contact him he is selling it. then do like Mike said i like that set up better then the little black box any ways !

I know the picture says non matchbox style but any EI dizzy should work I think.

I know the picture says non matchbox style but any EI dizzy should work I think.

I thought the only distributor that works in this configuration is the remote black box variety, not the matchbox style. IF skunk is not getting spark from his existing matchbox setup, he's not going to be able to have it trigger the GM HEI either.

Many remote igniter dizzys are grabbed mistakenly and without the remote box and the HEI is a good fix. I don't see why a matchbox style won't work with an HEI.

Kelly what's wrong with yours??? The matchbox almost never fails. Never heard of one that definitely was bad, ever.

Is the dizzy bolted down and grounded well. Try another coil....even a points one, just to test it.

...The matchbox almost never fails. Never heard of one that definitely was bad, ever...

I found that if the matchbox does not have the Nissan logo/ E12-80 stamp in it, the probability is considerably higher that the unit is going to fail. The one that I removed off of a brand new Beck-Arnley distributor was definitely aftermarket crap, and the surface where it attached was not prepped properly (some kind of clear coat on the aluminum, and it caused an intermittant ground situation. Ran a new ground with heavy wire, and tied it direct to the distributor made all the difference in the world.

ed tested it in his truck,when i had it in mine i tried two different coils and re-grounded it more then once. The car is at eds and im yet to see it since i dropped it off at his place.

I will get ahold of kiznook, i do kinda like the remote style. thanks

Wires reversed? B and C not in the right places? B receives 12 volts + when ignition hot, C connects to the - side of the coil...

yeah i went threw checking all that stuff a few months ago. re wired it a few times used two different coils of my own and even tested it in jessis wagon after we put the el-dizzy installed (we got her the remote style)

You can use any of the elctronic dists. I do it all the time and in a pinch you can use a non 12 volt coil. [not recomended]. All you have to do is hook the red and green wires up correctly to the black box or gm hei module. In my opinion the transistor dist are stronger and I hook them up to the match box modules but you have to make sure there is a good ground for the module to the frame or where ever you place it.

yeah hei module set up was easy on jessis car, we got that in , in a snap.

i used a 720 coil for the set up on my 510, tryed two brand new ones. Not sure what coil set up ed tryed when he was testing my dizzy on his datsun.

wireing was all done right and ground was good, checked and re checked that stuff more then just a few times.

if i can find another box for my matchbox dizzy ill see if that works, if i cant find one soon im just going to keep looking for a whole new dizzy.

im kinda wanting the remote style dizzy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.