sink...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up. Shame about the KC coming out in '76! But I definitely don't want to deal with smog.

After what I've gone through with my wagon project, I don't have the time to do something like that all over again. So I'd rather buy a truck that's been sorted out already. Tall order, I know...but you never know! :D

You realize, of course, that every one of your wish lists items except the A/C and new seals was a 1976 or later thing. KC was mid-year 76, Electronic Ignition was 1976-later (cali, 1978-later everywhere else), and disc brakes were 1978-on.

The KC is a non-starter if you want a '74 or earlier. Not sure why you exclude '75, since '75s fall under the same smog rules as a '74 (76s do not) but that still won't get you a KC unless someone has swapped VIN plates onto a (possibly) stolen truck, or is licensing a '78 as a '73 to get by smog (until you get caught).

Of course, disc brakes and EI are things that could be swapped in. It's only money.

datsunaholic, yes I realize those things. But someone who's swapped in some newer parts in their older 620, and is needing to move on? That's what I'm after. I am definitely not after a VIN swap though!

I revised the original post for clarity. Thanks for the info!

There's an outside chance you might luck out. Very early 1976 production models just might have been built before the '76 test standards were finalized. If so, the under hood sticker will state that it was tested to 1975 standards and that must be accepted by California ARB. I have a very early 1997 Infinity [3 digit VIN] that was built in 1996 before '97 test standards were finalized is branded as meeting 1996 standards. Every 2 years I need to explain that to the inspection station.

Except King Cabs weren't built in the extremely early '76 Model year, they came out a couple months in. Every '76 KC I have had had the emissions sticker in the doorframe, and stated it met 1976 standards. Of course these were non-California.

And it is true, all cars in California back to 1968 have to pass the standards for their year, they just aren't subject to biannual testing. But you can still get nabbed by a roadside check, and get a BAR referral, which you then have to pass the full check.

That's actually true for all 50 States, it's just that most States don't have the testing facilities to enforce it. Some do. It's a Federal law, but enforcement is done at the State level.

You are still subject to SMOG regs.You are exempt for annual testing.Basically,you are playing roulette.

yes but smog requirements for a 75 and older are non existent to begin with my 73 610 came with no cat no egr no smog pump from the factory it drives me nuts when people say this yes your vehicle still needs to retain the smog equipment but when there is none to retain it doesnt matter

A '73 610 has smog equipment. True, it doesn't have a cat, a smog pump, or an EGR, but it still had an evaporative emissions system and a spark-delay emissions system.

You have to retain what the factory installed. You don't have to add stuff that wasn't there.

If you had a '71 521, you'd need the smog pump (they had them).

Smog equipment for a '73 610:

Evaporative emission system (it's a line that routed fuel tank vapors back to the air cleaner)

PCV system

Spark-delay system (the dual points)

Intake air warming system (the flapper on the air cleaner snorkel that routed air off the exhaust manifold until the engine warmed up)

Also, by regulation you can't change the carburetor to a non-stock one unless it's CARB approved, with the little CARB tag. I have a couple of 34DFT webers with the CARB tag. They were allowed for some uses.

A '73 610 has smog equipment. True, it doesn't have a cat, a smog pump, or an EGR, but it still had an evaporative emissions system and a spark-delay emissions system.

You have to retain what the factory installed. You don't have to add stuff that wasn't there.

If you had a '71 521, you'd need the smog pump (they had them).

Smog equipment for a '73 610:

Evaporative emission system (it's a line that routed fuel tank vapors back to the air cleaner)

PCV system

Spark-delay system (the dual points)

Intake air warming system (the flapper on the air cleaner snorkel that routed air off the exhaust manifold until the engine warmed up)

Also, by regulation you can't change the carburetor to a non-stock one unless it's CARB approved, with the little CARB tag. I have a couple of 34DFT webers with the CARB tag. They were allowed for some uses.

thats odd cause last i checked the 73s with the l18 came with a single point dizzy the only thing mine doesnt have is the original air filter i kept my evap canister stuff intact (better gas mileage ftw)

acording to the specs i have found on it (original engine missing when i got the car) it had a single points distributor with no egr no smog pump the only emissions thin it had was the charcoal canaster the gas tank didnt even have a return line fitting all im saying is that i keep seeing people say that you have to keep the emissions stuff that came stock and im saying when it came with next to none to begin with it really doesnt matter

back on topic jun ill keep my eyes peeled up here for a clean 620 for ya

Thanks for the heads up everyone. Funny how so many 620's have been directed to me the past few days. I've actually found something very interesting in Japan, so no 620's for me, unfortunately. You guys can still use this thread to debate smog issues though, carry on... :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.