My Swiss 1972 S30 240Z rebuild project

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally another part of the body which can be called "completed". My panelbeater sent me another update with the rear upper hatch panel welded back and the whole area coated in some protective primer. Without top hatch panel installed:

IMG-20161114-WA0008-Kopie.jpg

Primered inside as well:
IMG-20161114-WA0009-Kopie.jpg

New Top hatch panel welded back. Well done :)
IMG-20161114-WA0012-Kopie.jpg

• Like 3

Honestly i prefer to find all the rust spots now, rather than spending a lot of Money on fresh paint and rework while knowing that there might be a lot of rust-spots inside and underneath. the car will be like new when done and that means i don't have to worry for many years. at lest from the Body-side of things.

• Like 1

Some exciting news! First i was able to finally open up the FS5W71C 5-speed Transmission. Turns out the reason i wasn't able to open it earlier was because had removed the wrong locking spring *lol*. Small part - big problem.

This is the one to remove on the main shaft bearing, not the small one in front of the bearing :)

P1170824-Kopie.jpg

Finally disasembled and ready for checking.

My unprofessional first check revealed that it's in quite good condition and no need for a big rebuild, but i will have a professional look over it and definitly will replace a few wear-parts anyway and have the housing repainted.

Even better news - I was able to source a complete NOS (New Old stock!) Rear quarter panel from the Z. It's the US-edition with the cutout for the rear sidemarkers but otherwise exactly what i need. Man i've never seen something like this for sale in the last years and it was a reasonable price too!!

It already arrived at my export agent and will be loaded onto the next sea-freight container to switzerland soon - should arrive here in about 6 weeks :)

And then i bought this so i have a bit of extra reference and documents probably 50% of the bulletins are about the S30 chassis or L2x Motors ;)

I think this snap ring has burned every one of us at least once. Now that you know its there... you'll check it on any other tranny you open. lol

• Like 1

Lately i really appreciate the updates from the bodyshop. And If things go right i will visit him and my car again on monday. However here are the latest pictures i got :)
What you see here is the inner rear right quarter panel piecte between the trunk floor and the Fender. it contins the hole where the fuel filler hose goes through. As you can see the original pieces was totally rusted and he created a new one from scratch:
IMG-20161123-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

Here it's installed test-wise:
IMG-20161123-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

View from the outside:
IMG-20161123-WA0004-Kopie.jpg

View from the bottom. As usual: Work of art. May look a bit rough now, but once it has some primer on it it will be like it was from factory ;) 
IMG-20161123-WA0005-Kopie.jpg

• Like 3

My Panelbeater asked for some Budget to continue his work, and since it's really going on nicely lately i happily brought hime some of my savings :) While there i had a look at the latest work, of course. You have to make sure you're money is well invested :)
P1180222-Kopie.jpg

After inspecting the recently completed upper end of the rear he showed me a mock-up of the right side rear inner wheel wells and some problem areas.
The tabco pieces really do not fit very well, but he will make them fit. I've seen worse :)
P1180224-Kopie.jpg

And while there he was preparing the door to fit them back to the car for future fitment testing of his work around the right side. You can see the thin line on the door? he noticed that little line (edge) was gone due to some previous repairs and straightened everything and made sure the thin line is back in t he door. Most people wouldn't even notice.
P1180226-Kopie.jpg

And then he closed the holes of the original door mirrors, because i'll go with fender mirrors :)
P1180227-Kopie.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

No big update, but today i got a phone call from the local Nissan dealership that my order had arrived, so i went there and picked up my order: All the refurbishment parts which ar still available at Nissan for the 5-speed FS5C71A 5-speed early type factory transmission.
The order contained some oil seals, snap rings, Balls, springs and so on. still need a lot of parts and will order the rest elsewere. this was just the easy part of the whole thing :)
P1180230-Kopie.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Dear readers, sorry for the lack of updates during the last weeks. I was very busy with some other big things, one of them beeing marrying my wife :)
Yesterday i got back to work in the garage. while it's still freezing cold outside i got some stuff done on the transmission. I found a local glass-bead blasting company and i'm preparing the transmission to be blasted soon. So i had to remove all bits and pieces:
Shifter lever Bracket removed:
P1180404-Kopie.jpg

Removed the shifter bushings from the brackets and had all laid-out:
P1180407-Kopie.jpg

Removed the control arm springs and "plugs"
P1180410-Kopie.jpg

Tried to remove this plug, but after trying hard and not beoing able to get it out, decided to leave it there for blasting :)P1180409-Kopie.jpg

Removed the oil filler plugP1180408-Kopie.jpg

And the speedo sensor (still in place here):  P1180405-Kopie.jpg

Still need to figure out how to remove the speedo sensor complete, the plastic vents and then i'm ready to get it blasted :)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, a few weeks ago i was browsing the internet for some usable parts for my transmission restauration when i found this ebay seller from Thailand. Usually i'm not a big fan of Cheap Asian stuff. Only real deal Japanese OEM or Aftermarket. However when i found these parts and they seemed to be either Japanese-made or high-quality but for a good price, i thought i'd give it a go. so here's what i got: Transmission / Clutch fork rubber boot. Made by Thailand company Turtlerubber / SPI-Goodrubber:
P1180415-Kopie.jpg

Firewall grommet. Unknown brand, but i assume the same as above:
P1180418-Kopie.jpg

Niles (Japan) Reverse light switch.  Niles is the original Supplier of nissan so i guess it's an Original part:
P1180419-Kopie.jpg

Unknown brand Speedo cable:
P1180420-Kopie.jpg

Unknown brand Side marker (front) lamps:
P1180424-Kopie.jpg

DENSO (japan) Horn's, 66dB:
P1180413-Kopie.jpg

New-Era (Japan, Aftermarket supplier) Voltage regulator:    
P1180422-Kopie.jpg

Not sure how all the parts fit and if they will end up in the car, but they were cheap and looked nice so i thought i buy them in a package deal. Looking good so far :) More parts coming soon :)

• Like 2

Are you doing a complete factory original restoration or upgrading it?

If upgrading it, I would suggest steering clear of an external voltage regulated alternator and just fit a modern IR unit instead, more power, better voltage control, and greater voltage output at idle too, plus less clutter in the engine bay

Are you doing a complete factory original restoration or upgrading it?

If upgrading it, I would suggest steering clear of an external voltage regulated alternator and just fit a modern IR unit instead, more power, better voltage control, and greater voltage output at idle too, plus less clutter in the engine bay

It's not going to be full factory, but a mix of factory and some "invisible" upgrades.  However i just bought the voltage regulator in a "bulk" with the other stuff and i'm not sure which parts all will end up in the car. However i appreciate your input and definitly will think about it once the project comes to the motor :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go :) Got another parts delivery from the land of the rising sun. All needed transmission parts which were still available in Japan:
Seals:
P1180426-Kopie.jpg

Rear hub:
P1180428-Kopie.jpg

Front seal gasket:
P1180429-Kopie.jpg

Then a friend of mine asked me to help him import some Nagisa Auto motor sports Part for his 240Z: Front adjustable tierod end-links:P1180431-Kopie.jpg

And adjustable Doglegs. Really beautiful parts. seems like they changed their annodizing procedure, sinec the parts i have have a different colour. anyhow. Nice pieces. The Colour is more gunmetal in reality. the white-balance on my cam was a bit off...
P1180433-Kopie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One of t hose lucky days again where i get several deliveries at the same time :)
One was an Ebay buy, A NOS Transmission breather vent:
SAM_0310-Kopie.jpg

The second one was a New Speedo pinion Gear, which was available through Nissan Japan:
SAM_0311-Kopie.jpg

Then, thanks to some tips of nice people in the community, i was able to purchase these Rear quarter panels.
I promised to not tell the source. It's a Last stock and one of the people that gave me the tip wants to buy the rest of the stock and sell it.
SAM_0312-Kopie.jpg

I have the feeling they are better than the tabco ones. with sharper edges.
SAM_0313-Kopie.jpg

When i have time i will make a direct comparison between tabco and these. Big thanks to the people who supported me with buying these. :)
SAM_0314-Kopie.jpg

While i consider the 240Z quite a common classic (compared to other cars) around the world, it can get hard to find good quality spare-parts - especially for the parts that where installed in markets outside america only. As it is the case with the 5-speed transmission (only optional and rare in the USA). And then even more specially in the case of the early FS5C71A transmission, which i happen to have.
SAM_0316-Kopie.jpg

This means a lot of reasearch and sometimes going to the other side of the world and as far as Australia to find some quality parts.
SAM_0317-Kopie.jpg

In this case i have to thank the guys at www.SWMotorsport.com.au for providing me with the right parts for my Transmission.
SAM_0318-Kopie.jpg

Today i finally got a delivery of:
- Bearing kit
- Front Seal
- Rear Seal
- 1x Front & 2x Center gaskets
- Gear lever Pin & Clip
- Roll Pin
- Speedo drive Seal
- Striker shaft seal
SAM_0319-Kopie.jpg

And all for a decent price and fast shippin too! Thank you so much for the great service. Nice to still have those small shops able to provide the market with the stuff we need :)
SAM_0320-Kopie.jpg