Akumazedex S130

so heres the details so far;

1982 Datsun 280zx N/A

Stuff thats not stock;

MSA short ram intake

MSA cat-back exhaust with generic muffler

MSA rear wing

Unknown front airdam (now called "squishy")

Custom front strut bar

Cut springs with tokico blues (working on sleeves and springs) needs more drop

Rota Grid Offroad wheels 16x8 +10 offset with 3m spacer on front to clear strut

One off carbon fiber reclinable bucket seat

Custom Purdy valve cover

HID headlights and fogs

Chastain Shadow louvers (rare)

Heres what it was like when I first picked it up.. stock ugly and sitting behind my shop for 5 years..

IMG_0159.jpg

and over the past 2 years this is how it came along..

4172_97388640743_779135743_2604205_7467555_n.jpg

PIC-0049.jpg

PIC-0053.jpg

100_1582.jpg

100_3135.jpg

DSC_7882.jpg

gridsedit.jpg

so now that everyone is cought up heres whats going on now...

im currently in the long process if swapping over to turbo, gonna be running an N/A-T setup using megasquirt as an ecu.

Im actually really close to bolting everything on at this point, only things i have left are fuel and oil pumps, i need an oil feed line made, and to get megasquirt and do all the necessery tuning and junk..

Some of the stuff i have for the swap...

100_2526.jpg

and the crappy ebay oil lines i got.. too short and the return is the wrong diameter.. no biggie, i was after the fittings anyways.

IMG_0539.jpg

I have another T3 turbo that is actually in better shape than the one pictured but will be getting rebuilt anyways.. i have the kit on the way, see the rebuild here when i do it.

Also i got another set of struts so i can cut the perches off to put sleeves and springs on so i can lower it more..

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

and today i scored on a digital gauge cluster center gauge pod and harness

IMG_0545.jpg

plugged it in and it works!!!

IMG_0546.jpg

well thats pretty much it for now.. i'll keep this updated as much as i can.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so heres the details so far;

Unknown front airdam (now called "squishy")

looks like the standard S130 airdam with break ducts, most of them are similar or dead on to that one.

the one on my 83 might be that same one too (gotta go take a look at it lol)

almost looks exactly like the MSA one but its hard to tell from your pics

large501413.jpg

i've seen that one before, but mine has a raised section in the middle and has a less aggressive cuts, plus its circa the late 80's, i got it off of my buddies 10th ann in the picture above which we got from the original owner.. thats where i got the strut bar sway bars (which i still have to install) louvers and squishy. its polyurathane and has no markings on it whatsoever, also the ducts are taller.. the original owner called it "custom" :hmm: still a score tho since i have yet to see the same exact one ^_^

Not the digital cluster! <_< I like the voltmeter of the NA gauges and then add an aftermarket boost gauge. They are far more accurate anyway and will go up to 20psi since that is where you'll be at soon :cool:

The car is looking good though. You have some tasteful mods....

I finally got around to swapping my gauges today, heres how it went..

To start of, heres the before.. stock analog gauges

100_3329.jpg

100_3330.jpg

Its easier to get the cluster out if you drop the steering wheel, two bolts on the column.

100_3331.jpg

Once you get the 4 screws holding the cluster in place out and disconnect the spedo this is what youll have left

100_3333.jpg

Next youll need to remove the radio console 4 bolts on each side

100_3335.jpg

Youll need to detach the climate control from the dash, not necessary to remove it tho

100_3335.jpg

now the fun stuff, unbolting the dash, theres 4 bolts on the bottom and 4 screws under beauty covers in top

100_3336.jpg

100_3337.jpg

100_3338.jpg

slowly start to wiggle the dash free making sure to detach any connectors in the precess carefully

100_3339.jpg

and voila!

100_3340.jpg

heres the dash with the harness still attached

100_3341.jpg

and heres what were doing, swapping in digital cluster and turbo gauge pod

100_3342.jpg

heres the backside, remove the harness and replace with the digital one, connectors are the same as the analog but we need the whole thing, also a good time to replace that buzzing center speaker that has been annoying you for years

100_3343.jpg

with the gauge pod installed

100_3344.jpg

installing is the opposite of the removal

and the finished result

100_3346.jpg

100_3350.jpg

100_3351.jpg

and the best part is my clock finally works!!

The only gauges that don't work is the boost and oil temp.. And yes the speaker was replaced, I had one laying around.. It's soo awesome driving around at night! Haha now I know what I've been missing! An everyone is swapping to analog pffffttt this is wayyyy more cooler! And no wiring and connector problems like the z31

The first gen z31's t3's are the same, the second gen z31's are water-cooled. I need the first gen.

what do you mean by first/second gen Z31?

any Z31 T3 is useable on the ZX, and that includes the one with the oil/water cooled center

the 1984 to 1987 Z31 turbos had a T3 but the 1988 and 1989 Z31's got a T25

to use them you just have to remove the Z31 T3 exhaust housing (since it has the cast in downpipe) and just bolt on the 280ZX exhaust housing.

then your good to go with a stock downpipe and it bolts in.

Ohh that's right they bumped up the compression and used a smaller turbo for quicker response.. Anyways.. I'll dig around hybridz an see if I can get another housing. Turbos aside. I'll be checking out the springs and sleeves I might be using to go mad jdm super slammed yo tomorrow. Hopefully the sleeves fit the struts.. If they do expect to see my car much lower than it is by Monday..

• 2 weeks later...

so after many days of procrastinating the turbo if finally back together. I talked to some of the guys at GPOP about the cracked turbine housing and they said its not a big deal. yes, I am stubborn. haha

correct me if im wrong, i dont remember the parts off the top of my head

so this is everything in pieces

100_3568.jpg

the center section has two bushings and four snap rings, those all get replaced

100_3569.jpg

the back of the compressor, the center springy thing for the thrust washer and the bearing get replaced

100_3571.jpg

the new thrust bearing

100_3572.jpg

now you can start putting everything back together

100_3574.jpg

the turbine housing and compressor wheel back on

100_3578.jpg

the compressor housing back on, be sure to clock the housing, otherwise youll have clearance issues and fitment problems

100_3581.jpg

reinstall the wastegate actuator and voilla! dones.

100_3583.jpg

now you have a nice rebuilt turbo for a fraction of the cost of a new one, sure its not pretty but it works.

100_3585.jpg

Prices: Garrett Airesearch T3 turbo $60 from HybridZ

G POP shop complete rebuild kit about $110 shipped

personal satisfaction of mending something, 4 tquitos and a slerpee :P

now all I need is Turbo fuel pump, turbo oil pump and the oh soo confusing megasquirt