my 1970 datsun 510 2dr 78k all original project

max121

this was my 510 i was in the process of fixing.
4376849613_c52d78c009_z.jpg

after i posted a craigslist add for a replacement front clip for that datsun. I got a reply that lead to my new datsun smile.gif
5127648992_c51ce228bf_b.jpg
5127045531_ec514718b0_b.jpg
paint will polish up but its very thin.
5127652882_9a88646187_b.jpg
5127663624_49921a9d37_b.jpg
5127535556_43a0d1f7e0_b.jpg
motor siezed from sitting since 1992
5126923111_782656c551_z.jpg
5126917645_8d8f8211d1_z.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that was the good this is the bad

5127661238_4c482f2e8d_b.jpg

5127051447_dd7fd89ec4_b.jpg

5127049257_50a796b24f_b.jpg

i have the floor from the 4 door i parted out and scraped the only thing i don't know. is the floor is rusted out above the frame "straps" but the straps are ok do i cut the floor out and leave the straps?

who needs floorboards anyways right?

Who cares, that thing is badass!!! Congrats on the find!! any idea what transmission is in there?

yea just gotta "fred Flintstone it" lol

automatic trans idk is there more than one kind?

yea just gotta "fred Flintstone it" lol

automatic trans idk is there more than one kind?

I think there were a few diff auto xmissions. My goon was originally an Borg Warner auto. I had a lead on one in portland, but never really heard back from the guy. Don't know if he found all the parts for a swap or not. I was wanting the borg warner to put in my shop, and maybe sometime down the road throw it in the goon. oh well

Nice!!! looks way nicer than your other one. That light green is my favorite but i've only seen a few with that color around, keep it original IMO. do you know what they called that color? is there a code on the door tag or something?as far as the floor goes i think you leave the straps when replacing the floor. other posts show it that way...

it looked even better in person! I was wishing I had $ to buy it instead,while you were looking at it last night,& while we loaded it on your trailer. the emblem below the left taillight said Borg-Warner,so i'd bet that's what it is. the rest of the car looks all original,so that would make sense. I'll have to ask Dave if he knows what happened to the one we took out of my Goon. i'm pretty sure it went to scrap,and I think i threw out all the column shift stuff too. if I'd have thought someone would have wanted it , I'd have GIVEN it to them. anyway, nice car! I hope your good luck with it continues.

is it worth saving the motor? numbers matching car or does it matter

i tried pouring rust cutter down the spark plug holes and turning the engine with a 2 foot socket wrench and didn't budge

tag on core support says color # 546

the car was hit just below the taillight and it bent the trunk seam outwards witch caused it to leak and rust here 5126932527_94e29d393b_z.jpg
on the right obove the taillight you can see that the top of the trunk seam is opened idk if its fixable might have to replace whole corner ill take better pics later

I had a lead on one in portland, but never really heard back from the guy. Don't know if he found all the parts for a swap or not. I was wanting the borg warner to put in my shop, and maybe sometime down the road throw it in the goon. oh well

That was me :) Its still in my car, because I still dont have money :( If you want it whenever it does come out, its yours, pretty sure I said that in whatever previous thread. The car does still drive flawless too!

That was me :) Its still in my car, because I still dont have money :( If you want it whenever it does come out, its yours, pretty sure I said that in whatever previous thread. The car does still drive flawless too!

nah its cool man, just didnt remember who had it, and if it ever happened, etc. ill still be more than willing to take it :D

• 2 weeks later...

The only diesel datsun builds I have seen were in trucks with the nissan sd22? I would think an older diesel would be pretty low on performance. BMW's diesels that made it to the states were probably all straight sixes and would probably be real hard to fit in a 510. The battery tray gets cut out for more space and a cleaner look under the hood when swapping the battery to the trunk.

The only diesel datsun builds I have seen were in trucks with the nissan sd22? I would think an older diesel would be pretty low on performance. BMW's diesels that made it to the states were probably all straight sixes and would probably be real hard to fit in a 510. The battery tray gets cut out for more space and a cleaner look under the hood when swapping the battery to the trunk.

thanks hobbes

prob just gonna stick to stock l-16 or whatever comes across craigslist