alternator help!

deucedime

i have a 1980 datsun 210 coupe with a fresh 95 ka24de in it now. i am only missing the alternator plug(everything else is done) cannot find a plug, or any ideas on wiring as my harness is only a 2plug,2 wire setup, and alternator needs plug plus 2 wires :(

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed a KA alt in my 510. If I remember correctly, the large post is your large gauge battery wire (including fusible links). The two wires in the connector are field and light. I don't remember which is which off the top of my head. I don't recall using a second wire, but it may just be case ground. I made a "T" connector to KA connector jumper harness for an all plug and play install. I got the KA connector end from picknpull.

As Unclejesse pointed out, the two post plug is for the field wire and the warning light wire. The field wire needs to sense the voltage in the system. To do this I just jumped it to the large post on the alt. It has worked fine for me for the last few years.

I got my KA plug from the wreckers. (it was on a VG pathfinder) The big all weather plug is labeled L and S. The L terminal has the smaller Yellow/Black wire that would go to the charge indicator lamp. The S terminal has a smaller White wire that goes to 12 volts.

I left the stock twin wire plug for the stock alternator in place on the harness. I got the male counterpart of that plug and made a jumper wire to the KA plug. This way I can put a stock alt back and plug it in without any problems.

Plug the left side into the KA 90 amp IR alternator. The other end plugs into the stock 710 wire harness plug that would normally plug into the stock external reg. alternator.

71080ampKAaltswap001Large.jpg

I put this in my sedan which is now my wife's. I'm glad I did it this way because now I can put a stock alt back in and remove the KA and wire and plug it into my goon. Plug 'n play.

Oh yeah. The KA alt puts our 50% more power so I took the much thicker KA output wire and soldered a washer on the end......

71080ampKAaltswap002Large.jpg

....and bolted it directly to the starter terminal.

710oilgageinstall016Large-1.jpg

I used that split harness cover stuff and taped everything up so it isn't noticeable and looks almost stock. Bet ya didn't notice the oil pressure gauge sender either eh?

• 3 weeks later...

i never thought about doing it that way Mike. i might have to do some rewiring on my truck. that looks MUCH better than what i did. and probably works better to. not so much loss with the alt jumped straight to the starter like that.

also what IS that oil pressure sensor off of??? that looks nice on there.

and one last ?.... what pulley did you use for the KA alt?? i have a ka alt here at home that i would like to use as it would bolt up to my truck better than my ZX alt or a saturn alt.

I would recommend a fusible link on the heavy wire going to the starter terminal. As for the KA pulley, as long as it is not a serpentine pulley, the stock one on the KA alt will work. My harness looks like Mike's. I got the alt end from pick n pull, and the "t" connector end from Vintage Connections. If you order from vintage connections, they also have the six pin connector that fits the regulator connector, fuse box, wiper motor. . .etc. BTW, my KA alt came from an 2004 Frontier. Bolted right in.

also what IS that oil pressure sensor off of??? that looks nice on there.

and one last ?.... what pulley did you use for the KA alt?? i have a ka alt here at home that i would like to use as it would bolt up to my truck better than my ZX alt or a saturn alt.

You need that type of sender to run a Nissan oil pressure gauge. It has two wires... one for the gauge and one so the red low pressure light in the dash still comes on. I installed a720 4X4 gauge in my sedan console.

710oilgageinstall008Large.jpg

As for the pulley I used the 710 alt pulley on the KA alt. One of them had a collar or ring that I had to grind down to space the pulley out so it wouldn't tighten up against the case when the nut was put on. Got it right and used an impact wrench and then hit the edge of the nut with a punch to stake it so it wouldn't come loose. Drove to Canby and back.... :lol: