Stepchild

J.Chimpo

Hi everyone i just picked up a 78 datsun 510 hatch about a week ago. and i've been lurking around checking out some of your dimes. and it seems like the late model 510s are like the stepchild no one seems to talk about. Granted i would love to have an older datsun but i figure a late model 510 is better then none. i was curious if anyone had pics of one that they"ve modified so i could get some ideas. :D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep that looks like it. i was thinking of doing some modifications the interiors pretty beat up well everything but the dash is. so i think striping is in order. and mine looks like its got a factory optioned cb. i'm missing one of the rear wing windows so was thinking of removing the oppisite and filling it in with a piece of sheet metal or aluminum. and changing the rear tail lights over to a single round light on each side.

you guys really just wanna see any 510 u can huh? well your in luck well maybe not it might hurt some of your eyes

DSCN0950.jpg

notice the wonderful missing rear window and the lovely rust at the bottom of the door

DSCN0951.jpg

if u look closely it looks like someone ran into a pole

DSCN0943.jpg

i'm kind of like the cb. and unfortunately it is an automatic

DSCN0942.jpg

anyone want the seat covers. if not there getting a unceremonious bonfire burning

DSCN0941.jpg

i got alot of cleaning to do here.

thanks lardlungs and skib i hope to have her looking good. don't think i am gonna go for the normal resto look though. we got some nice curvy roads out where i live and thats what i want it for.

is this the one that was 400 or another one?

me and a buddy picked this up off CL a couple months ago for d derby but i couldn't let it be destroyed.

• Like 2

thanks lardlungs and skib i hope to have her looking good. don't think i am gonna go for the normal resto look though. we got some nice curvy roads out where i live and thats what i want it for.

me and a buddy picked this up off CL a couple months ago for d derby but i couldn't let it be destroyed.

you get positive reputation for this statement

as for cleaning i find spray on oven cleaner and a pressure washer work wonders in the engine compartment just be sure to cover the carb and dizzy

I knew a guy from West Linn,Oregon back in the early '90's that had a late model 510 with a z24/l20 head engine in it. he raced it Pro-Rally. from what I heard it was real fast. must've been pretty tough to handle racing on those forest service roads & whatnot. I think i saw one last time I was out at u-pullit/U-save in Boring,Oregon. Give them a call 5036632211 maybe they have that window you're missing.

thanks Loren. but i'm not sure if i wanna go through the trouble of finding a widow or do some body changes on the car and seal up those side windows. i do like to weld and fabricate and have the skills to do such a project. what do you guys think? it would be different and thats the way i like to do thing, lol

thanks Loren. but i'm not sure if i wanna go through the trouble of finding a widow or do some body changes on the car and seal up those side windows. i do like to weld and fabricate and have the skills to do such a project. what do you guys think? it would be different and thats the way i like to do thing, lol

you will have huge blind spots if you weld them up.....

I would feel sorry for anyone who rides in the back seat. I rode in a Infinity RX35 once, horrible. The you sat so far back that you had to lean quite a bit forward to see out the windows. I dont like that feeling.

well the back seat is really torn up so i wasn't planning on anyone riding in the back mainly cuz i was just gonna remove the seat.

and the blind spot is one thing i was kind of worried about but its a small car i've driven big cars and pickups my whole life. so i don't think it will be that bad. and pics will be happening tonight i hope to get the interior cleaned up and a tune up done. and remove the smog pump. damn emissions crap. :)

• 3 months later...

hey i think i know that guys name he got another one if i remember right....