Modifying a L series bell to fit a KA transmission

Icehouse

I remember reading the Dimequarterly back in the day, there was a dude that somehow made a L series bell fit a KA trans. After getting more familiar with Datsun parts over the years it came apparent that the trannys are almost the same and with a bit of machining the L series bell can be made to fit. So how better to get to help me (actually he did all the work, watching is helping though :) ) than Chriss, he runs a HUGE CNC machine where we work. I gave him the bell housings on monday, he figured the job could be done in the Acurite, so today we meet in the morning and gave it a shot. The bell turned out great! Here are some pics of the bell being machined and assemebling it at Dave's house. Everything fit perfect. So if anyone wants one modified he will do it for around 150$.

2010-09-25%2010.38.17.jpg

2010-09-25%2011.29.43.jpg

2010-09-25%2013.18.47.jpg

2010-09-25%2013.12.44.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this shit! Finding new uses for Nissan parts and making things work.

The most obvious big difference between the L (FS5W71B) and the KA (FS5W71C) tranny is the larger counter bearing in the C. The 56mm B counter bearing is failure prone so a larger 62mm one is used in the C, so the front case must have a larger hole for it. Inside the B case is a built up area around the counter bearing that must be machined away. The C has an oil slinger directly behind the bearing and it will rub against the B case. This throws oil to the upper front of the C case and is caught and directed into a small hole that leads forward into the cover plate cavity. Here it gravity feeds down over the input and counter bearings. The C cover plate has grooves in it to allow oil flow to the bearings. The B case has a 14mm 1st/2nd shift rod hole that has to be drilled out to 16mm for the larger one in the C tranny.

Ice we need moar oics.