More ART Cop-UTE!

Allrighty it is the same 411 wagon, BUT, but, but, I chopped it into a UTE. Of course I added bed hooks, after all BED HOOKS ROCK!

The reason I started a new thread is because I want to hear from the experts how feasable it would be to chop a wagon into a UTE.

1. Could we chop the lip off a 520 bed, (complete with hooks) and weld it on the exposed edge the chop would cause?

2. Then how do we seal the back of the cab? Back of a 520? Or try to weld the original back hatch to the cab? That would give us more room, and a HUGE window.

3. Could we be real slick and keep the back seat and fold it down into a compartment. Like a rumble seat!

4. And if structure is an issue with out the back pillar we could weld in a roll bar, but I mean REALLY weld it in.

What do you think guys?

Pac you are almost done with you vert, I know you could pull this off!:D

Sure I know someone could just buy a 520, but that is not the point! This is Ratsun after all.

411RatFinishUTE-1.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy hell i love it! Thats gonna be my new screensaver...:cool:

Screw Screensaver, build it man! I know for a fact you could pull it off! Some one give this man a wagon all ready! And if you build it I will make you a huge 20X30 giclee print for your wall.

(Though your welcome to it as a screensaver too:))

Hmmm this is the rear of a 411 wagon. I could see how this chop might difficult, the hard part would be making the back of the cab I think. Unless you just used a flat piece of metal. Then again we did just see pics of that 521 KC from RESO. He continued the lines of the roof great!

But this rear end on a truck/ute would be pretty bitchin!

1967Wagon2-1.jpg

Well the biggest thing to overcome is that the frame [unless its a unibody] would have to be strengthened BEFORE any cutting was done. Plus it may look odd with the rear doors not welded up. I actually am looking for a 510 wagon in the future but id keep the top on it.

Just to say it again your one bad ass artist!! I just threw away all my drawings after seeing that, it puts all mine to shame :D

411/410's are unibody, for the longest time I thought they had frames but after renting a shop with Tana I got the chance to work on a few. Sure as shit unibody! They also have dual A arms up front, but there are a few different datsun sedans that are unibody and have dual A arms, such as the 69 or older 1200's which I think are actually 1000 and the Gloria have a similar system.

411/410's are unibody,

Oh poop, that prolly made this build near impossible huh. Unless you found hidden ways to reinforce the unibody. Hide a steel frame in the walls?

Course I've never done any real body work, so I have no idea if even that would be possible.

From watching shows like Overhauling, Chop/cut/rebuild, and all the others. I think I remember if you cut a unibody without welding in serious reinforcements before the cut, it can warp to hell.

Scott

Easy as. Chop the roof off at the window line, then reinforce it with steel braceing along the top edge of the body work. If you are going to add the 520 bedlips then you would cut the 411 body OUTER skin and fit the bedlips instead. I would brace the heck out of the sides and floor and especially behind the seats. Line the "bed" with diamond plate for strength. I'll see if I can find some photos of the Cedric(?) utes and post them for ideas.

Oh poop, that prolly made this build near impossible huh. Unless you found hidden ways to reinforce the unibody. Hide a steel frame in the walls?

Course I've never done any real body work, so I have no idea if even that would be possible.

From watching shows like Overhauling, Chop/cut/rebuild, and all the others. I think I remember if you cut a unibody without welding in serious reinforcements before the cut, it can warp to hell.

Scott

Easy as. Chop the roof off at the window line, then reinforce it with steel braceing along the top edge of the body work. If you are going to add the 520 bedlips then you would cut the 411 body OUTER skin and fit the bedlips instead. I would brace the heck out of the sides and floor and especially behind the seats. Line the "bed" with diamond plate for strength. I'll see if I can find some photos of the Cedric(?) utes and post them for ideas.

I don't think it would be to tuff at all, just time, and a little money. If the wagoon already ran and was road worth it wouldn't take to long at all. A few braces to key points and that thing would be tuff as nails!