Need pointers on painting my stock rims black

Eagle_Adam

The title says most of it but here are the details. I want to take the rubbers off of my rims so that i can scuff and paint them b4 they get some fresh new rubber! I have never done this before but it seems easy enough. i was just going to wash and degrease them then a light scuff with sand paper b4 primer and paint. Any help is welcome thanx in advance!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, what you said you were gonna do will work. You can use Mineral Spirits too, thatll clean the shit off really good, then wash with soap/water and rinse well. be sure and scuff well, seems a lot of times people dont and it chips off easy (partially due to the spray can paint too)

Do you have any recommendations for paint? i dont have a compressor so i figured rattle can was my only option, i was wanting a flat black that will look good with the dog dishes that came with my truck. I was also wondering if anyone could tell me how to take the old rubbers off? so i don't have top go to a tire shop just to have them do it.

Do you have any recommendations for paint? i dont have a compressor so i figured rattle can was my only option, i was wanting a flat black that will look good with the dog dishes that came with my truck. I was also wondering if anyone could tell me how to take the old rubbers off? so i don't have top go to a tire shop just to have them do it.

rattle can will do fine, specially if you are just doing flat black. As for taking rubbers off, lol yer on your own :rofl:

Cut them off if you dont want them, tire shops normally charge to just take the old tires off, unless they are taking them off to put new ones right back on...

just get some nice krylon primer and krylon flat black.

prep good and its more than adequate.

I may be able to lend a hand getting the old tires off, shoot me a PM

The title says most of it but here are the details. I want to take the rubbers off of my rims so that i can scuff and paint them b4 they get some fresh new rubber! I have never done this before but it seems easy enough. i was just going to wash and degrease them then a light scuff with sand paper b4 primer and paint. Any help is welcome thanx in advance!

id get them sandblasted and pain the bare metal thats what ima do to my wheels one day but i live in the forest and we got a local guy that isnt very exspensive but thats just my 2 cents sandblast rattle can primer rattle can paint real kool wheels

Ok here we go let see if this works, its my first time posting pics.rolleyes.gif

here they are after a good scrubbing and degreasing - IMG00002-20100923-2036.jpg

here they are after the green acid etch primer ( i liked the green but black was the mission) - IMG00003-20100924-1637.jpg

here they are after the white sandable primer next to a green one - IMG00004-20100924-1715.jpg

AND HERE IS THE FINAL PRODUCT!!!!!!! cool.gif - IMG00007-20100924-1953.jpg

Lemme know what u guys think!unsure.gif

For the rattlecan stuff, just a pointer... they make paint adhesion spray that is supposed to make it stick better. Its more important for plastic, but assume it applies to metal too.

Only thing is make sure to the primer layer dry then cure according to the can (then double to make sure) before you put the color on. If you put paint on the primer before it cures, the finished product will be prone to chip. Same appies for clear coat.

thanx guys, i cleaned the hell out of them with a pressure washer first then used a SEM spray solvent to strip any remaining residues, the first two coats(Green) was an acid etch primer, the third and forth coats were a grey sandable primer, and the last two coats were a wheel paint i fount at baxters. I still have a can of each left if you want more details on the exact products i used PM me and ill let u know. I sanded with 220 grit sand paper between every coat too. I like them alot the truck looks way better with them not to mention it drives twice as good with new tires and an alinement. It will be awhile b4 i can lower it tho I blew up my motor on I-5 yesterday, but i think im gunna end up with a 5 speed and a new motor! we shall see.wink.gif