In need of 510 suspension advice

ptown green

Wow guys thank you a ton! this site kicks ass! i never would of thought I'd get this much help!

Ratsuns a great community, and theres alot of us in the PDX/NW area.

were prob gonna start our Sat night beaverton meets up again soon

But still hell no on Bills?

always.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ratsuns a great community, and theres alot of us in the PDX/NW area.

were prob gonna start our Sat night beaverton meets up again soon

always.

Oh sweet! I'd love to be a part of that once i get my stuff together.

Okay thanks for the heads up! I'll trust you on that one.

Yeah the ones on there now look like they have been cut. I think what ill do is throw the ground control coilovers on the front for now until i can get better struts, because i have a budget and a list of stuff i want to do. The way I understand it, you can not put those ground controls in the rear because they use different mounting. So I heard replacing the rear shocks with ram 50 springs is a good upgrade! is this true? I'll replace all the parts you listed too.

Could i just pull the zx assembly you mentioned off a 2880z i have layin around? i wanted to put disc brakes in the rear as well.

Thank you for the help!

if it were me I would at least get new shocks and change while you have the car apart. shocks like KYB or even a tokico HP are not that bad in price. remember cars do cost money to maintain and this is a area you should not skimp on. you can use the ZX struts and brakes as a direct swap but from what I remember you can't use 240-280Z stuff as it is different. some guys also use the zx struts assmblies and shorten the housing and use MR2 or VW inserts for more shock travel and then use the coil overs. this makes for better ride and travel for a lowered car.

as for the rear the ground control coilover kit or ermish or Techno toy are nice but if on a budget try to source out those dodge d50 springs if you can. to save money you can find sway bars on sites like this from people who may have used ones from back in the day or doing a sr or ka swap. try calling shops like DGR fab in santa clara I believe as they have used ones sometimes they can sell for a decent price for the front. Or check craigslist for used parts. I found many parts used and saved a lot of money just takes time and some elbow grease to get it all to work. I know how you feel I was 16 once and had a Z as my first car and worked and used all the money I had to buy parts and made it nice. I was glad I listened to others before me as the car had come out nice and to this day I use that same philosophy and it works.

Okay. Not even purely to purchase headers and exhaust parts? I do all my own work and saw his headers on ebay.

Well if i know generally what im doing I could fabricate some front sway bars.

I found these ones but I dont know if this site is trustworthy. http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan/1968_1973_datsun_510/suspension/sway_bars/suspension_techniques/

But they do look easy to make on my own

Oops I ment to say I will sell you one

if it were me I would at least get new shocks and change while you have the car apart. shocks like KYB or even a tokico HP are not that bad in price. remember cars do cost money to maintain and this is a area you should not skimp on. you can use the ZX struts and brakes as a direct swap but from what I remember you can't use 240-280Z stuff as it is different. some guys also use the zx struts assmblies and shorten the housing and use MR2 or VW inserts for more shock travel and then use the coil overs. this makes for better ride and travel for a lowered car.

as for the rear the ground control coilover kit or ermish or Techno toy are nice but if on a budget try to source out those dodge d50 springs if you can. to save money you can find sway bars on sites like this from people who may have used ones from back in the day or doing a sr or ka swap. try calling shops like DGR fab in santa clara I believe as they have used ones sometimes they can sell for a decent price for the front. Or check craigslist for used parts. I found many parts used and saved a lot of money just takes time and some elbow grease to get it all to work. I know how you feel I was 16 once and had a Z as my first car and worked and used all the money I had to buy parts and made it nice. I was glad I listened to others before me as the car had come out nice and to this day I use that same philosophy and it works.

Oh okay perfect answer! I will make sure to do this right the first time.

okay i think this is my plan! Im gonna buy these KYB's http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-4-GR-2-SHOCKS-NISSAN-DATSUN-510-68-69-70-71-73-/400154286415?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2b0dd94f

Put ground control coilovers on front and d50 springs in rear. Just because they are good price, I would rather have a 280zx assembly but this seems really easy to do.

okay i think this is my plan! Im gonna buy these KYB's http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-4-GR-2-SHOCKS-NISSAN-DATSUN-510-68-69-70-71-73-/400154286415?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2b0dd94f

Put ground control coilovers on front and d50 springs in rear. Just because they are good price, I would rather have a 280zx assembly but this seems really easy to do.

that price seems ok. I may have a set of NOS tokico HP's for 160+shipping. I have to double check. you can always cross over the shocks and coil overs to the ZX assembly as they share the same shocks and coilovers are pretty much the same. you just may have to get a new ring to weld onto the ZX housing to support the ground controls but not hard to get. so far so good on your end. you can IM me your email so I can send you pics also of stuff that i have done

that price seems ok. I may have a set of NOS tokico HP's for 160+shipping. I have to double check. you can always cross over the shocks and coil overs to the ZX assembly as they share the same shocks and coilovers are pretty much the same. you just may have to get a new ring to weld onto the ZX housing to support the ground controls but not hard to get. so far so good on your end. you can IM me your email so I can send you pics also of stuff that i have done

oh good point. yeah ill keep my eyes peeled for those 280zx brake assemblys and transfer them over when i find a good deal

okay i will now

Anyone know where i can get a stock hood? like any pull it junk yards or something?

post a want add in the parts wanted section. someone in the NW will have one.

but the junk yards hardly ever have a 510 in them, Iv seen one goon.

usually a bunch of Z cars and trucks