In need of 510 suspension advice

ptown green

Hey I'm 18 just bought myself my first project car, a '72 510 and i want to buy some lowering coilovers and sway bars. I cant find anywhere online that suggests what ones to buy or who to contact that would know. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck because I'm on a budget.

Please help me!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I'm 18 just bought myself my first project car, a '72 510 and i want to buy some lowering coilovers and sway bars. I cant find anywhere online that suggests what ones to buy or who to contact that would know. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck because I'm on a budget.

Please help me!

Pics or it didn't happen!

Man, I'm still a newb and know that! You'll learn fast. :P

Did you buy one of the Craiglist cars down there? Was looking at a few myself.

Oh, and WELCOME! ;)

Okay I think Im gonna use those eibach ground control coilovers. If i were to buy two sets and use the struts i got that will work good right? It says they're front coilovers but it looks like they use them on the rear ones too.

And I see that strut brace there but i still cant find some sway bars that are in stock!

Im gonna head over to Bills Datsun Shoppe and pick up some headers and see what advice i can get there.

Okay I think Im gonna use those eibach ground control coilovers. If i were to buy two sets and use the struts i got that will work good right? It says they're front coilovers but it looks like they use them on the rear ones too.

And I see that strut brace there but i still cant find some sway bars that are in stock!

Im gonna head over to Bills Datsun Shoppe and pick up some headers and see what advice i can get there.

No- the rear uses a different assembly for the mounting. The coilovers would need to mount where the shocks are, then you would remove the spring. So as you can see, the front strut mounting and rear shock mounting are very different.

I got my headers off ebay from topend performance for $200... Have not run them yet. :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

No- the rear uses a different assembly for the mounting. The coilovers would need to mount where the shocks are, then you would remove the spring. So as you can see, the front strut mounting and rear shock mounting are very different.

Okay so ill throw those coilovers on the front. As for the rear i heard you can buy like '84 ram 50 springs and cut them. are these the right ones? http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalog/?N=0&uts=true&Ntt=1985+Dodge+Royal+Mini+Ram+Moog+Coil+Springs

Please help me!

Hi and welcome to ratsun. I can try to help with advice and maybe sales if need be.

the cars are pretty old and if you are looking to get the most out of the suspension look at the parts you have first. look at all items like shocks springs, bushings,steering parts like ball joints and tie rods and such. I would replace all those items first and while at it get new shocks and springs if needed which most likely you will as the car is pretty old. I sell and like using ground control coil overs. the other companies people directed you to are good also. Techno toy sells ground control so they are good to go with. Troy Ermish makes his own stuff using nice parts. if you want shocks you can use anything from KYB and Tokico HP or spend money for the nicer adjustable shocks but to be honest you will be fine with new standard performance shocks from the brands I mentioned. also make sure you get a aligment also. if you have more questions feel free to ask or message me

PS you can also get a ZX front brake set up and strut assembly and that will help with braking upgrade for low cost and still use coil overs. pretty easy and common upgrade

Benzo

Okay thanks for the heads up on Bills. If it makes any difference, I do all my own work and was only gonna go buy headers and exhaust parts from him since i noticed a few of the headers on ebay were coming from him. So rather than pay shipping i was just gonna go pick them up. But still hell no on Bills?

Hi and welcome to ratsun. I can try to help with advice and maybe sales if need be.

the cars are pretty old and if you are looking to get the most out of the suspension look at the parts you have first. look at all items like shocks springs, bushings,steering parts like ball joints and tie rods and such. I would replace all those items first and while at it get new shocks and springs if needed which most likely you will as the car is pretty old. I sell and like using ground control coil overs. the other companies people directed you to are good also. Techno toy sells ground control so they are good to go with. Troy Ermish makes his own stuff using nice parts. if you want shocks you can use anything from KYB and Tokico HP or spend money for the nicer adjustable shocks but to be honest you will be fine with new standard performance shocks from the brands I mentioned. also make sure you get a aligment also. if you have more questions feel free to ask or message me

PS you can also get a ZX front brake set up and strut assembly and that will help with braking upgrade for low cost and still use coil overs. pretty easy and common upgrade

Benzo

Yeah the ones on there now look like they have been cut. I think what ill do is throw the ground control coilovers on the front for now until i can get better struts, because i have a budget and a list of stuff i want to do. The way I understand it, you can not put those ground controls in the rear because they use different mounting. So I heard replacing the rear shocks with ram 50 springs is a good upgrade! is this true? I'll replace all the parts you listed too.

Could i just pull the zx assembly you mentioned off a 2880z i have layin around? i wanted to put disc brakes in the rear as well.

Thank you for the help!

Don't go to bills I will well you a front sway bar

Okay. Not even purely to purchase headers and exhaust parts? I do all my own work and saw his headers on ebay.

Well if i know generally what im doing I could fabricate some front sway bars.

I found these ones but I dont know if this site is trustworthy. http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan/1968_1973_datsun_510/suspension/sway_bars/suspension_techniques/

But they do look easy to make on my own

Portland eh? Have you been by here yet? Check it out, Nelson is a nice guy and will help you out. Don't worry about finding coilovers for the Front of the 510. Go find some 280ZX front struts AND brakes. You'll need some bumpsteer spacers or RCA. Basically bolt in. Your 510 sill stop better and you'll be able to find parts easier.

While you have the 280ZX struts, grind off or cut the bottom spring perch off. You'll either end up putting back on your 510 perch or just do coilovers now. Read this over and over again.

Here's some reading on choosing front springs, best just go with coilovers though.

Rear springs the D50 ones will work as well as Ford Thunderbird.

Portland eh? Have you been by here yet? Check it out, Nelson is a nice guy and will help you out. Don't worry about finding coilovers for the Front of the 510. Go find some 280ZX front struts AND brakes. You'll need some bumpsteer spacers or RCA. Basically bolt in. Your 510 sill stop better and you'll be able to find parts easier.

While you have the 280ZX struts, grind off or cut the bottom spring perch off. You'll either end up putting back on your 510 perch or just do coilovers now. Read this over and over again.

Here's some reading on choosing front springs, best just go with coilovers though.

Rear springs the D50 ones will work as well as Ford Thunderbird.

No havnt heard of them. Can i purchase headers and exhaust from there? Okay ill talk to Nelson, thanks a lot.

Okay so can i pull the brake & struts off a 280z? or do i need 280ZX ones? Because I actually have a 280z layin around. That looks easy tho. Cool I'm actually gettin a game plan goin! :D