Brake Bleeder

ok guys, after all my braking woes that i have had, i think i am going to break down and buy myself a one man brake bleeder. my friends are tired of driving 10-40 minutes to help me bleed my brakes, and i still haven't done a good job of it yet. i am thinking about buying this kit here...what do you guys think? have you tried one or have something different? Thanks for the input

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Phoenix-Injector-V-12-Brake-Clutch-REVERSE-Bleeder_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQihZ005QQitemZ150202633107QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Mityvac, I think it cost me around $120, but it also works for different applications other than bleed brakes; testing, diagonosis etc.

I think they are more convenient than having someone pump the pedal, plus you don't spill brake fluid all over the floor.

edit: I found the one I bought 3-4 years ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MityVac-4000-Silverline-Automotive-Vacuum-Pump-Kit_W0QQitemZ160195089714QQihZ006QQcategoryZ43989QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The prices have drop.

Never had much with the vacuum bleeders. I put these on my truck and love em'. Go to the hardware store and cet some clear tubing so you can see the air bubbles and youve got a 1 man bleeder. Theyre cheaper than a bleeder too. These poped up for a Datsun 620

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RUS%2D639560&N=700+4294845333+4294907666+4294906943+115&autoview=sku

Another site

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

I also found that when I was bleeding my drums it helped to adjust them out and lock up the drums, bleed them, and then adjust them. Hope this helps.

I also found that when I was bleeding my drums it helped to adjust them out and lock up the drums, bleed them, and then adjust them. Hope this helps.

I like this suggestion since not many people have their rear breaks setup correctly. With them "locked up" you'll know if your pedal is rock hard or not. Then you can back them off after they're bled. Then you'll know how much of your travel is from the back brakes.

after reading on the speed bleeders, i think i am sold on those....thanks for tip. i seriously don't know how i made it in life before i found this forum! LOL!!

Edit: did you guys notice that they don't have a speed bleeder for the rear drums? whuddafuxup with that? i emailed russell about it, i'll post what i find out

I used the cheap little one way bleeder valve bottle from autozone. Worked great. Only problem is the container is so small you have to stop to empty sometimes. Don't think it was even $10.

I used the cheap little one way bleeder valve bottle from autozone. Worked great. Only problem is the container is so small you have to stop to empty sometimes. Don't think it was even $10.

I bought that too. I use it as a gravity bleeder and forget the one-way valve it comes with. I never had good luck with those valves.

You let them bleed for 10-20 min. If I had done any work on the master, I bench bleed the master cylinder out of the car. (on a bench vice) Then install and gravity bleed. I would bleed the front pair at once, the the back pair since they run off the same source.

I never had good luck gravity bleeding a clutch if it was empty of fluid. It just wouldn't start flowing. (too short of a hydralic line?) If it had some fluid in it already it would bleed fine.

A lot of folks swear by the Speed Bleeders. I bought a MityVac and never could get it to work correctly. Better options are:

1. Gravity

2. Power Motive bleeder system (from Summit Racing and a zillion other resellers)

3. Build-It-Yourself (I'll add the link to the site tonight when I get home). I actually bought the parts to do this, but haven't assembled it. :mellow: