5speed for j13?

ONELOWDATS

i realy hope one of u guys can help. i have a 66 411 wagon with a j13 in it and i was wondering if there was anyway to install a 5speed trans without having to change the motor out? i have a fealing that ur all gonna tell me no but hey u guys r the best people to ask! lol. any info would be great thanx.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I read somewhere you can run a dogleg as long as you have the the flex plate the dogleg was mounted to? Could be wrong.

Hit up Datzenmike. He might know.

Or check this out..........

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/19412-trans-adapter/page__p__269754__fromsearch__1#entry269754

• 5 months later...

L motors are too long to fit in the engine compartment of a 411 sedan or wagon without much butchery [e.g. front cross member and firewall], even then you have radiator clearance problems. There is for all practical purposes no room to install an electric pusher fan without removing the front grill unless you can find an impossibly thin motor / fan combination. Even the 1600 type R roadster engine had to be modified to fit the RL411 version.

Didn't some of the 411s come with a R16? That would fit and you would use the 5 speed from the datsun 2000 roadster. If that tranny is not exceptable then find a SD22 diesel tranny front case, and use a napZ 5 spd. tranny, it will bolt on to the R16 or U20 blocks with the diesel case. wayno

The 4 speed "on the floor" WRL / RL 411 transmission could be fitted with race option gear sets based on the Austin Healey gear set. On of the gears was even a remachined AH part restamped with the Datsun part number. The older NISMO catalogs had these part numbers, doubt if any sets survive. There were different kits for the steel vs brass synchros.