IN NEED OF A MECHANIC

I HAVE A 74 620, THAT I BOUGHT 2 MONTHS AGO. THE TRUCK RAN FINE WHEN I LOOKED AT IT. WHEN I BROUGHT IT HOME IT JUST STOPPED FIRING UP. I NEED A MECHANIC IN THE SOUTH BAY AREA THAT WORKS ON DATSUNS OR HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THESE GOONS. IF YOU CAN RECOMMEND ONE I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres an online copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) here http://www.olddatsuns.com//620tech.htm Just scroll down and its the first link in the 620 section. Theres a 1974 wiring diagram just a little farther down. Theres a troubleshooting section in the FSM also. It will become your friend.

If youre a new datsun owner it would be in your best interest to learn how to work on it. Theyre easy and cheap to fix and youd probably be able to fix any problem youve got with it for the price of a couple hours of a mechanics time... If you still run into a problem these guys will be happy to answer your questions and walk you through it.

Theres an online copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) here http://www.olddatsuns.com//620tech.htm Just scroll down and its the first link in the 620 section. Theres a 1974 wiring diagram just a little farther down. Theres a troubleshooting section in the FSM also. It will become your friend.

If youre a new datsun owner it would be in your best interest to learn how to work on it. Theyre easy and cheap to fix and youd probably be able to fix any problem youve got with it for the price of a couple hours of a mechanics time... If you still run into a problem these guys will be happy to answer your questions and walk you through it.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I think we may have scared the noob off? It still amazes me how many people a day come into NAPA wanting a coil, or new wires, or something else and I ask, "Have you verified it's getting spark?" No, how do I do that? Well, take a lead off and ground it with a screwdriver, see if it jumps a gap. Same way with relays. People bring them in all the time, really upset over the cost. I ask, have you tested it? Similar situation.

Not bagging on you noob, but simple questions like this are usually much better figured out when you have a manual. Even going to the library and checking out the basic "How things work" book will give you loads of common information that may not be common to you. And you'll usually get the answer you want, and quicker.

And if you're still lurking it's because you mentioned goons in your first post, and they did make a 620 car/ute/wagon (goon) thing overseas, which is of course rare over here.